SGOTM 09 - Maintenance Thread

My objective in setting a deadline is not to pressure Gyathaar for more frequent new games, but to try to stop the crazy situation where most teams finish and then have to wait for another three months for the results. By which time they've grown old, their children have grown old, and most players can't remember the game :eek:,
Wow, that'd have to be some seriously fast aging! Hope I don't go that way. :p :D

There has been zero follow-up on the schedule for this game, which is included in the first post here, and in the first post in every team thread:

Either no one thinks I'm serious, or no one thinks it's a problem, or no one has read it.

- The first possibility can be eliminated. I'm serious.
- The second seems unlikely - there's always at least one complaint/question/concern/comment about anything new!
- I thought I had better restate it in case the third option applies - though if you didn't read it before, you probably won't read it here, either :hmm:
I read it and accept it as policy. I know you are serious and I do not think it a problem. :goodjob:

We shall try to beat the time. :)
Now, to make sure I don't get embarrassed! :blush:

We shall try to beat the time. :)

Or we could play at the "Space 4" pace from one of Alan's SGs. We'd have some real aging in that case, since it took 3 years to complete that game. :lol: (It was actually a very fun Civ III SG to follow. Started in January 2006 finished in December 2008.)

My objective in setting a deadline is not to pressure Gyathaar for more frequent new games, but to try to stop the crazy situation where most teams finish and then have to wait for another three months for the results. By which time they've grown old, their children have grown old, and most players can't remember the game :eek:,
Well, that problem would go away if SOME TEAMS WOULDN'T FINISH SO FAST ... :nono: :trouble:

:mischief: :lol:

dV

Now I'll stop spamming the thread ...

Wow, that'd have to be some seriously fast aging! Hope I don't go that way. :p :D

By the way, we get hundreds of years old in a night in Civilization IV. :lol:

By the way, we get hundreds of years old in a night in Civilization IV. :lol:
Very true. We survive to be over 6000 years old in some cases. :D

Just so you know.. the game WILL have barbarians... if they pop or not in the game depends on how your give the techs to the civs...

If you give the techs to the civs in the worldbuilder, then no barbarians will pop during the game.. however if you do it by editing the WB file in a text editor, then they will pop
(the secret is what the StartingEra= line in the individual player sections in the WB file says)

Actually.. barbarians will be a bit meaner in this game than in normal games... so beware... :evil:

How so? I don't recall the raging barbarians setting being on. Or are you just referring to the fact that barbs will get extra techs? ;)

Does this mean that Barbarians will have 'Airships' as well? :eek:

I didn't think the barbarians could build air units? Or maybe it's just that I've never seen them in my games...

The starting saves are now available on the Progress and Results page.

Please remember: Any player can download his/her own team save to "look but not touch", but there must only be one active player at any time. That is the player who has posted a "got it" in the team thread, and that is only player who can make moves and changes in the game.

KaleLambiek said:
The deadline is to finish within 3 months and you then announce the winner one month later. That is what I read...
I don't need a month to work out who won, just an hour or so to post the results.

AlanH said:
I shall declare winners and losers from those teams that have finished on July 27, 2009.

I recommended that you plan for a three month game. For example, work out how many turns you think you will need, divide by 13 weeks, and then stick to a schedule that achieves that many turns per week. But, "The best laid plans of mice and men ..." etc.

The deadline is four months. If you have not finished by then, your game will not get an award. My recommendation gives you a cushion of one month for unexpected delays in the game, or real life.

Yay! Game on, all! :D

Thanks Alan. Looking forward to this game. :)

Downloaded the latest HOF mod. Just checking: it is a MOD, right? When I run the EXE file, it isn't going to change any of the game files in my 3.17 patch, right? Or do I need to do a backup?

Just want to be absolutely sure. I still remember the big issues with Civ4 being auto-updated to version 1.74 (incompatible with the previous 1.61) when BTS came out. ;)

Yes, it's a mod, not a patch.

I read the deadline at the beginning and applaud it. Haven't heard any moo or boo from anyone else at MW either. :goodjob:

Thank you very much AlanH and Gyathaar.

Good luck all. Yahoo!!!

Smurkz definitely have issues with the deadline, but far be it from us to speak against AlanH... :shifty: ;) We'll make it, don't worry...

Smurkz definitely have issues with the deadline, but far be it from us to speak against AlanH... :shifty: ;) We'll make it, don't worry...

I'll ignore that :)

Now, this is a new way to talk privately.

Top Bottom