SGOTM 09 - Maintenance Thread

Forests and hill have different altitude.

While searching for a war academy article I read years ago, I managed to get forum search engine hits on my team's current SGOTM thread, which excerpts a sentence or two. That's probably not a big enough spoiler to really matter, but can we look into whether it's possible to exclude teams' threads from searches while the games are in progress, please?

:p. So we can fog look AND do searches that "inadvertently" view large amounts of somebody's post material?

The foglook exploit will be very tempting in SP, since it isn't technically cheating :/.

While searching for a war academy article I read years ago, I managed to get forum search engine hits on my team's current SGOTM thread, which excerpts a sentence or two. That's probably not a big enough spoiler to really matter, but can we look into whether it's possible to exclude teams' threads from searches while the games are in progress, please?

No, we can't. Much as we might wish it, these forums are not run purely for the benefit of the xOTM players, and Thunderfall is not going to add complicated forum mods just for us. However, I recommend that you use the search facilities with care, as I do have some spoiler access detection tools.

No, we can't. Much as we might wish it, these forums are not run purely for the benefit of the xOTM players, and Thunderfall is not going to add complicated forum mods just for us. However, I recommend that you use the search facilities with care, as I do have some spoiler access detection tools.

"hay guys, OSS thread said X, I saw it in teh searches" :rolleyes:.

I'd like to think better of our community. Anyway, the pathing glitch is exciting. I will use it on my friend in MP. I'm sure he'll think it's delicious.

Sure - it might have just been a matter of enabling some option somewhere, though :)

Team Murky WatersTM has decided not to further exploit the feature/bug related to targeting fogged tiles with units.

Our decision is taken irregardless of other teams opinion on the subject, and although we are aware of the tremendous power of this exploit, we do not want to risk the accidental irreversible move of units, which would put us in the bad book.

We also feel that this feature is not aligned with the intention of how Sid wanted us to play the game.

Note that we do not consider ourselves as saints, since we already have utilized this feature to a certain extent. Furthermore, we don't request other teams to stop using it (you will need it if you plan to beat us, suckers! ;)). We just have decided not to further exploit this feature.

Please resolve any issues regarding this statement within your team before posting general thoughts regarding this topic.

/Erkon - Captain of Team Murky WatersTM

Gypsy Kings also had a philosophical difference with the exploit, and will not use it either.

Hmmm, for the record, Who Dat? also hasn't used the exploit, but we've not done much since becoming aware it exists. I gave it a run in a test game and it takes some doing tog get it right anyway. I can't speak for whether my team will want to use it and every margin possible to beat out true competition (the rest of you guys), but I'm getting the feeling that most of them won't (I'm a little torn myself, I want to optimize my team's chances for winning but this isn't something one relies on with the intent of improvement).

It isn't explicitly against the rules though, so it's player choice. If a team manages to win by doing it, fair game and fair warning :p.

I don't see any way a team could "win" by using the exploit. The most you can possibly get from using the exploit is knowing what some tiles will be (hills/forests/flatland/sea) a bit ahead of time. So it's no worse than playing with a revealed map (and in fact quite a lot better, since you can't see resources, much less distinguish things like grassland/plains/desert). It really doesn't give that much of an advantage, at least as far as I can see. :)

Same as team Murky Waters, we at team CFR did use the exploit to get some info, but decided not to use it further.

I'd like to discuss one important question. I don't think that it's too late.

We discussed and removed all random factors except one! Do all teams need to build ALL spaceship components or not? I believe all of you understand significance of my question.

As for me, spaceship should be build completely. And you?

Please see Gosha190's question by clicking here.

It concerns the building of the Space Ship.

EDIT - He posted it in the planning thread but I think it belongs here.

Moderator Action: Moved

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to discuss one important question. I don't think that it's too late.

We discussed and removed all random factors except one! Do all teams need to build ALL spaceship components or not? I believe all of you understand significance of my question.

As for me, spaceship should be build completely. And you?

Do you mean SS finish with probabiliy of success < 100%?

Please move this discussion to the SGOTM09 Maintenance thread.

I fear it will be lost in the planning thread.

:thanx:

Missing of some parts just slows SS fly but with 100% success, missing other - decreases the chance of finish.

Top Bottom