1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SGOTM 10 - Xteam

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession GOTM' started by AlanH, Jul 31, 2009.

1. ShannonCT

ShannonCT Deity

How is 2W of the beaver a better city?

2. Cactus Pete

Cactus Pete Deity GOTM Staff

Has forests to chop for workboats, will provide additional furs for trading sooner, not nearly so much at the mercy of G's cities expanding further, and long term does not overlap with Bombay. It does invite G to settle south of Delhi. Not sure how much a negative that is.

3. Frederiksberg

Frederiksberg Deity

Please explain what you mean. Which tiles are you afraid to loose? And how is it worse in contrast to the White city?

4. Cactus Pete

The white city has growth potential if irrigation is built (farmed) to the grassland tiles to the north. Those tiles would come under G's control if his cities expand (at least that is what has happened to Moscow, which has a palace). Irrigation of the alternative city site 2W of beaver would depend on farming 2 plains tiles that are not in jeopardy from expansion, plus the grassland tile that is also within HC's fat cross.

5. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

In reading through the discussion thus far, I do not seem to see if anything was decided regarding building a city north of Delhi near the Iron? If we want to build this, it should be soon, shouldn't it?

I think the White city, as laid out by SCT, is very marginal. The only encouraging reason to place it there is that there is no culture flipping and it takes up enough space that we would only have one crappy city.

I do not know how many cities we wish to build. I see the merit in CP's point concerning moving white city SE. Attached below are three screenies with a second look at city layout.

Sounds like the voice of experience, and are you ever correct. :cringe:
    This morning was worse...

6. Frederiksberg

Frederiksberg Deity

I agree and I think that CP misunderstood my last post. What I'm arguing is that the White city probably shouldn't be settled and that we should consider the much better city location between iron and cows north of Delhi before the White.

7. Cactus Pete

Necessary evil. Glad you're home safely and back on the thread.

8. leif erikson

My thought was long term denial of the Iron tile. By setting the city to produce culture, then Library and hire an Artist or two once we're in Caste, I hope we could duke it out with Delhi's culture to maintain control of the tile for some time?

I have not played out to Nukles either, so I could be full of it.
    However, by building on the Tundra Hill south of Delhi, once we take India, we would have use of the Wheat tile and some nice grass to build Workshops on? By building the white city in my piccie, we would have the river and, with Biology, more productive tiles. As CP mentioned, we also have forests to chop in the bfc to help speed whatever we may need.

I do see that once we take Bombay, the original white city would be more productive. I think it will take Biology and Communism to make these cities worth much.

:thanx: Yes, it is a very necessary evil. Can't help worrying a bit though. :crazyeye:

It is nice to be home. A bit more rest and I'll be ready to take on anything, I hope... ;)

9. Frederiksberg

Frederiksberg Deity

At size 5 the iron/cow city can produce 16 hammers per turn using the available tiles. At this rate the hammers invested in the city are payed back in around 20 turns.

10. Cactus Pete

........... .

11. Cactus Pete

Concur that it would not be worthless. The question is of comparative value vs other uses (particularly immediate uses) of settler or hammers required to build one.

12. leif erikson

As Fred pointed out, 16 hammers per turn is not insignificant and these hammers would be denied to Gandhi to build units to use against us while we research to Nukes. Also, one less city to take once we have Nukes. :)

13. Cactus Pete

Yes, but as he figures to be way behind us, won't taking his cities be easy? Not sure another useful Indian city wouldn't be a good thing.

14. Mad Professor

Mad Professor Deity

On any setting, Gandhi in a war mood will build lots of units and become very powerful if he has the means. I've seen it several times in modern starts. Unchecked and riled, he becomes a military giant. If we keep him backward though, with not much production and short of cities and workers, he'll be a pushover. But we need to stay on his case from time to time before we get to nukes. We can't allow him free reign to develop.

15. Cactus Pete

G figures to be a willing trading partner, plus we're going to want to concentrate on development and research. Not sure 'staying on his case' should be in the plan; rather, hitting him fast and hard once we have nukes would be consistent with both not impeding our progress and your point that he can turn out units quickly when at war. ...........

16. Frederiksberg

Frederiksberg Deity

Outside of building settlers and a few units to keep Gandhi in check we don't have much use for our hammers. Perhaps some libraries to get a little culture and extra beakers. In my test games I was building wealth most of the time. With this in mind the iron/cow city seems like a good investment considering that we reach break even quite soon when it comes to regaining invested hammers. And no doubt it will also contribute commerce/beakers.

17. PaulisKhan

PaulisKhan Physicist

Ordered a computer today, should arrive in the next 5 days, still have to wait for internet though and I have no idea how long that will take. Should be back in the thick of things soon.

Looking forward to being able to play some large/huge maps!

18. leif erikson

19. Cactus Pete

Are you comparing its value to one or both of the cities being considered south of Bombay or to, say, getting the cities north of SP or on the ice island up and running quickly. Also if we continue the war to get it settled, we may need a boat(s) to keep G's ships off our nets.

I'll be checking in from time to time today, but won't have time to play for about 20 hours, when I'd like to finish my set and turn it over to leif. If nothing is resolved by then, propose that I at least play until another settler pops.

About time, PK. I think my stalling tactics are starting to wear thin.

20. Mad Professor

Mad Professor Deity

I have no argument with you there CP. As long as he stays limited I'm real happy. The less declaring of war on him the better because he will be less riled. We just have to watch him though - if he starts getting rolling we'll need to make sure he doesn't roll too fast. Critical is our own tech pace though. We've got to be building nukes long before the AI does, and even longer before the AI gets around to an SDI. That is even more important than keeping Gandhi slow :) By "staying on his case" I meant keeping a close eye on him and making sure he doesn't develop into more than a handful. He is one AI we can more easily limit than the others!