SGOTM 12 - Rules Discussion Thread

With CivV coming soon and requiring Windows7, should we be concerned about people upgrading from Windows XP during the course of this SGOTM and causing problems for the cheating checker? My kids have a ton of old programs that may not work with Windows7 so I've been putting off the switch. For that matter, will CivIV still run on Windows7? I fear change. ;)

Hmm, where did you read that CivV requires Windows7?

The official Civ 5 site states

Minimum system requirements
Operating System: Windows® XP SP3/ Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7

Recommended system requirements
Operating System: Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7

I'm running CivIV on Windows7. Anyone upgrading to Windows7 will face the usual hassle of Windows protection features. The HOF site has a page for Windows7 HOF/BUFFY support.

I will restate my suggestion regarding late use of nukes here (from my signup post):

Why not add to game requirements that we build the UN and pass the no nukes resolution? A sign of our good faith ... ;)

To Lexad's comment that it can't be done with diplo turned off ... obviously, this change requires that change too ... :mischief:

dV

I will restate my suggestion regarding late use of nukes here (from my signup post):

Why not add to game requirements that we build the UN and pass the no nukes resolution? A sign of our good faith ... ;)

dV

If we clean up afterwards i don't see the problem!! Am I to assume we would still need MProject before anyone can build nukes anyway? Or does Stalin already have this wonder?

I assume it is not a secret as it will show up in world wonders built. Or perhaps he has the techs for it.

What is Stalin's current relationship with the rest of the civilizations?

We are at war with everyone.
Catherine, the leader of the new Russian civilization. You have to start all over again. The earth is covered in pollution, and all other civilizations are at war with you.

Manhattan is a project, so it doesn't show up on F8. I guess if Stalin has the techs but we don't, there's no way of telling if he can build nukes until you see one.

BUG/BUFFY shows projects because the player (in an usual game) sees the message that a certain project just got built. They even show other civ's national wonders as you see them in the city.

I would prefer to keep the restrictions and win criteria as simple as possible. Building the UN will not be a challenge in a space race, and will at worst only add randomness to the game. Passing resolutions is typically easier if the opponents have low pop right? I'm afraid such a rule would lead to killing of AI cities to push a peace related resolution through that they don't want to vote for. And if they would vote for it, they can do that once your off to Alpha Centauri :D

Am I to assume we would still need MProject before anyone can build nukes anyway?

There are no changes to the game apart from those stated earlier so MP is needed before nukes can be built.

Or does Stalin already have this wonder? I assume it is not a secret as it will show up in world wonders built. Or perhaps he has the techs for it.

What is Stalin's current relationship with the rest of the civilizations?

These questions will not be answered here, so I'm afraid you will have to wait until the game is released. I don't want this thread to turn into a pre-game discussion instead of clarification of the rules. Keep in mind this is a competition :cool:

There are no changes to the game apart from those stated earlier so MP is needed before nukes can be built.
Are you saying you had to paint all those tiles orange rather than nuking the living bejesus out of the map when you created this?

Hear that everyone? Erkon has become CFC artist :love: in residence...

:lol:

:p

@LC: Orange? Man, that's old. The latest fashion is crystal blue, almost like the shimmering blue light generated by nuclear waste when submerged in water (due to Cherenkov radiation). It is highly recommended to tenderly smash your screen with a rubber hammer to get the most realistic experience of the game.

I would prefer to keep the restrictions and win criteria as simple as possible.

From the signup thread:

Game Settings

Start position screenshot to follow shortly.

Speed: Normal
Difficulty: Emperor
Map: Standard, cylindrical, cold, low water
Opponents: The six civilizations from SGOTM10 (Churchill, De Gaulle, Mao Zedong, Roosevelt, Gandhi, Stalin)
Victory condition: Only space victory
Game Options: no random events, no barbarians, no city flipping from culture, no vassal states, no goody huts. Aggressive AI and rising seas are enabled.

Starting Conditions
Almost all of earth is covered by fallout. The fallout will not disappear by itself, and it is not possible to settle on fallout (due to a modified BUFFY)

Goals
To win the game:
All fallout must be cleared
Stalin must be defeated (dead)
All other AIs must survive and be at peace with the player when space victory is achieved.

Ergo ... :confused: :crazyeye:

non-sequitur alert! :mischief: ;)

dV

@Erkon: My palette only contains orange and red. :p

@dV: What's complicated about kill Erkon's alter-ego, make peace with the rest, and green the planet? ;)

Starting screenshot now included in the first post of the signup thread. Here it is for all the test map makers.

Click for a bigger image.

Question: If memory serves me correctly, fallout generally alters terrain types from bad to worse resulting in lower tile yields or uselessness. Will the staff manipulated fallout alter terrain? Also, can you settle on fallout?

It's standard Fallout, as defined in the out-of-the-box Civ4. The only change we have made is to stop it disappearing of its own accord (see earlier answers).

hmmm...not sure if that really answered my questions, but I guess I can go digging for them.

Edit: I see me second question was already answered in the main post...duh...oops

Is it possible to know the Map type or is this highly classified info?

Rules seem pretty clear and fair, given the scenario. But i have a question: do the AIs have the "you nuked us" and "you nuked our friend" diplo modifiers? if so we'll never make peace with anyone, with the ton of nukes we launched in SG10.

A color note: this game will start in Friday 17. Is it a coincidence?

Blubmuz is posting from Italy. Friday the 17th in Italy is the exact equivalent of Friday the 13th in the U.S.

Apparently why 17 is unlucky in Italy is that 17=XVII, which can be rearanged to VIXI, which is Latin for I have lived, implying that life is over.

Question: If memory serves me correctly, fallout generally alters terrain types from bad to worse resulting in lower tile yields or uselessness. Will the staff manipulated fallout alter terrain?

I'm still struggling to get global warming and sea rise to work, so I'm afraid I can't answer just yet.

Is it possible to know the Map type or is this highly classified info?

It's not really classified, but the map will be modified to have a suitable amount of tiles. Fractal with a bunch of island will probably be close enough for playtesting.

...do the AIs have the "you nuked us" and "you nuked our friend" diplo modifiers?...

The AI has not forgotten, as stated in the intro, although who knows what they remember? :evil:

Top Bottom