SGOTM 12 - Rules Discussion Thread

Is it posiible to indicate clearer which tiles in the starting screenshot have fall-out, and which don't? It's a little hard to see right now, even in the bigger version. Knowing beforehand would make testing and thinking about settling location easier / worthwhile at all.

I think they are already indicated. If there's no yield icon on a tile (hammers/food/commerce) then that tile has fallout. Scanning it quickly, I'd say only the ones with trees are unpolluted. Note that in WorldBuilder if you add Fallout to a tile it removes other features such as trees, oases and ice. I assume this happens in-game with real fallout as well.

From left to right, top to bottom

Desert fallout
Plains hills gold fallout
Grass cow fallout
Plains

Desert fallout
Grass forest
Plains hills gold fallout
Grass forest
Grass cow fallout

Plains forest
Grass fallout
Grass forest settler
Grass fallout
Plains hill fallout

Grass silk fallout
Grass silk forest
Plains hills fallout
Grass forest
Grass rice fallout

Plains hills fallout
Plains fallout
Plains hills forest
Grass hill fallout

Grass fallout

Note that in WorldBuilder if you add Fallout to a tile it removes other features such as trees, oases and ice. I assume this happens in-game with real fallout as well.

Yes.

After we remove the fallout from the riverside deserts, I assume they will not be flood plains. Can we irrigate or build improvements on them?

When is the new bug mode to be released?

After we remove the fallout from the riverside deserts, I assume they will not be flood plains. Can we irrigate or build improvements on them?

They will still be desert. You can build road and fort on desert.

When is the new bug mode to be released?

Once I'm happy with the setup. Hopefully I'm done this weekend, then Alan will build the MOD.

I'm still struggling to get global warming and sea rise to work
There will be no global warming and no sea rise - at least it's extremely unlikely -, unless you write your own version of global warming. The Global Warming mod included in BULL could make it happen but you'd need massive amounts of unhealthiness - from buildings, bonus or power. A world covered in fallout won't even cause nuclear winter unless you put the fallout there by lauching massive amounts of nukes (In that case the fallout-free rest of the world would soon be covered in fallout too).

I do hope game won't nerf the Ai with fallout. I am not sure if the Ai is capable of figuring out how to use workers and clean fallout in early game. Also how many workers they will need.

My other concern is Ai settling new cities if tiles have fallout. I am not asking you to confirm if the Ai land starts with fallout more just confirm if this has been considered. ;)

This may well nerf any Ai we start near if they are choked and the fallout is abused.

I guess the AI builds rather "too many" workers, at least more than the average human player, I'd say. You see this with AIs constantly building new improvements over old ones and roading every single tile.

Not sure about AI settling and AI nerfing by this mod, but I think these things will be explored by testplaying.

On the other hand, it's possible for the mapmaker to "guide" the AI to certain city spots by filling everything else with fallout (i.e., invalid city spots). The intrigue! :crazyeye:

On the other hand, it's possible for the mapmaker to "guide" the AI to certain city spots by filling everything else with fallout (i.e., invalid city spots). The intrigue! :crazyeye:

Certainly Erkon has some interesting options open to him in the design of the game. I am merely trying to ensure these things have been worked out.

My only other concern is that Stalin may be wiped out by another Ai before we get there. This would advantage a team if it happened. Hopefully it won't with no vassels on.

I am merely thinking of issues that might ruin the game before we start. :)

Don't think stalin will be overrun. He has knowledge of advanced techs, and I'm sure all your concerns are explored in test games, gumbolt. I agree though that these settings open up a lot of very interesting options but it might lead to very different games.

Don't think stalin will be overrun.
yep
IIRC :D In SGOTM10, Stalin's lands were spared when the nukes landed.
Spoiler :
of course, the radiation could have spread
unintended consequences and all that

I have updated the first post of the Signup Thread to add the following to the list of possible items considered to be outside the teams' control:

* any fallout that may appear on unreachable terrain does NOT need to be cleaned up.

Here it is, then, for all you crazy test map creators:

Post #1 Update said:
This game will be played in Civilization IV Beyond the Sword, version 3.19, using a customized HoF Mod 'BUFFY_SG12'. The installer for this special mod will be available shortly is now available here. Unzip the downloaded file and run it to install BUFFY_SG12 into your ...\Beyond the Sword\Mods\ folder.
Please download and install this mod, and verify that you can start a random game with it. Don't worry about the Hall of Fame warnings that may display when you test it this way - they should not be present when you load the real game after 17 September.

The only changes from the standard version of BUFFY are in the Fallout tag in Civ4TerrainFeaturesInfo.xml:

<iDisappearance>0</iDisappearance> instead of 500
<NoCity>1</NoCity> instead of 0

But please don't try making those changes to your existing BUFFY, as that will stop it working for any other xOTM; and you still won't be able to use it for this game, as the mod name will be incorrect.

Got it, verify shortly.
Just a question about rules (just to be sure).
Stalin has to be dead. This is clear. But: this must happen before the launch or also after?
Is it important that he will be killed by the human player or any AI can do the job?

But please don't try making those changes to your existing BUFFY, as that will stop it working for any other xOTM; and you still won't be able to use it for this game, as the mod name will be incorrect.

I have some questions about selecting between the new BUFFY_SG12 mod for SGOTM-12 and standard BUFFY for all other Games (xOTM, HoF, etc.):

After installing BUFFY_SG12, can we select BUFFY_SG12 through the standard BtS menus for use with SGOTM-12?

Can we assume that this will also work with a BtS ini file that automatically loads standard BUFFY by default? To use BUFFY_SG12, this would presumably require BtS to reload itself with the manually selected BUFFY_SG12 mod?

Can we, thus, retain BUFFY auto loading for HoF or other xOTM or SG (BtS) games?

Will non-SGOTM-12 Games continue to be loadable via standard BUFFY and not loadable via BUFFY_SG12 and visa versa?

Finally, it should not be possible to invalidate BUFFY Games via BUFFY_SG12 or visa versa, since the Games will require the mod they were originally created with when loading, right?

I realize that some of these questions may have been already answered by implication, directly or via prior knowledge, but I want to understand with crystal clarity how the BUFFY_SG12 mod will affect my current & future standard BUFFY Games as well as SGOTM-12, before I install the BUFFY_SG12 mod.

Sun Tzu Wu

Stalin has to be dead. This is clear. But: this must happen before the launch or also after?
Is it important that he will be killed by the human player or any AI can do the job?

It can happen anytime before the victory announcement - before or after launch does not matter.

No, it doesn't matter who kills him. It could be you or any other AI.

Top Bottom