SGOTM 13 - Ivan

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to your SGOTM 13 Team thread. Please use it for all internal team communication, turn logs and discussions. Subscribe to it to receive notifications, and do not visit the other team threads for this game until you have finished. Please also subscribe to the Maintenance Thread for this game here, where teams and staff may post non-spoiler information of general interest. I hope you enjoy the game.

The starting saves will become available on the SGOTM Progress and Results page on December 14th, at midnight, server local time.

Rik Meleet has prepared a Huge map with 29 rivals, at Demigod level. You play as Japan, you start on a small island, and the only way anyone can win - before 2050 - is to build a spaceship. Thanks, Rik, and best wishes to both of you in your future as a married couple.

Here's the start.

Map Parameters
Playable Civ - Japan
Difficulty - Demi-god
Opponents - 29
World - Huge (250 x 125), Continents, 70% water
Barbarians - Roaming

The map is handbuilt, and therefore may not have a standard configuration. Rik isn't saying anything, as he's far too busy on his honeymoon, but we can assume the map has been "adapted"

Game mods:
We shall use the default rules as defined in the SGOTM Reference Thread.

Following recent discussions about exploits for extracting large amounts of "free" gpt from the AI, so-called "Emsworth Agreements", we shall operate the following rule as proposed by Lanzelot:

In a deal which includes a resource, a millitary alliance or a trade embargo, the human player is not allowed to pay the AI more gpt to AI than the AI demands.
Detailed discussions of the reasoning surrounding this are available starting here in the Sign-up thread for this game, as well as in a number of other HoF and GOTM-related forums.

The SGOTM Mediterranean resources are included. If you have played previous C3C SGOTMs then you will be ready. Other players will need to download and unzip this small graphics mod pack. Details are provided in the SGOTM Reference Thread..

Please ensure that you have included the line: NoAIPatrol=0 in your conquests.ini text file:

A 'fix' for the Barbarians!:
As many of you know, the barbarians in C3C are 'broken'. This can be fixed by going to your \Conquest\ folder, and opening your Conquests.ini file, and adding a line noaipatrol=0 to the file. Whilst we cannot force people to do this, it will make the game a bit more interesting if you do. If you are not comfortable editing your .ini file, you can download a utility here to do it automatically.

Players running Civ3 Complete for Macintosh should contact me if they have any problems with the mod. If they are not running a patched version they will need to use FileValet to compress their saves for upload, and they may also need to use it to 'clean' downloaded saves before playing.

Please visit the following links to ensure that you are adequately prepared, skipping references to PtW or Vanilla versions of Civ3.

The GOTM Reference Thread.
The SGOTM Reference Thread.

Notes:

A. ONLY Conquests version 1.22 (C3C) is supported for this SGOTM. All teams will compete for a single award set.

B. All teams must play the sponsored variant - the laurels will be awarded for the fastest Spaceship victory. The wooden spoons will go to the team with the lowest final Jason score, having completed the game one way or another.

C. All saved game files uploaded to the server are parsed through software that extracts and archives data about your save, including reload count for each turn set.

D. Good luck, and enjoy the game :)

Checking in. Looks that we got will EA with Lanzelot retristion only. With 27 it is not bad also...

Check in. Good game to all.

Game will start tomorrow, normally Allan put starting saves around UK midnight. I think I will start. As in normal SGOTM 20 turn first and 10 turns next. From the picture it is "unclear" is it small 7 tiles island or there is a land at SE. But I think Alpha at Max anyway. Build order Warrior, Warrior, Settler.
My time zone before X-mass Brazil, IBT Europe and USA, after (1 month approx) Moscow, 3 hours before UK.
What time zones you all stays? When you normally "on line"?
Any suggestions about "play order"? Who want to be second, 3d, ...6?

Checking in.

I'm in the western USA, but I am pretty flexible on when I play. :)

I agree on the start. And there doesn't look to be any fresh water, so I would like to mine and road the cattle.

I normally road first. For research game espessially. Elear, any problem with "extra Lux" package?

Other players will need to download and unzip this small graphics mod pack. Details are provided in the SGOTM Reference Thread..
I mean this things.

I agree on road and then mine, since we aren´t industrial, the research bonus will be better then a mine in 6 turns.

Warrior,warrior is ok. After we explore we decide if we should go settler or grany i think, no point on building another city on a 6 tile island (worse case scenario and the most probable as far as i can see) An earlier curragh+grany+map making+harbor+upgrade galley seems to be the way.

We could do slingshot to phil but i doubt in demigod we can make it though...

Checking in.

Unless we do get a bigger island, I agree that we just mine.

If we do have a bigger island, we should rethink, but I think the build order doesn't matter all that much.

We can't do a granary if we are going alpha, btw, cause we won't have pottery.

Unless we have a larger island, I think it's extremely unlikely that we can get the slingshot.

This will likely be a fairly long game, in terms of turns, on a huge map, going to space ship, with such a slow start. We might end up having to build the GLib.

If we get a contact with the curragh we could trade for pottery....

I agree on road and then mine, since we aren´t industrial, the research bonus will be better then a mine in 6 turns.

Warrior,warrior is ok. After we explore we decide if we should go settler or grany i think, no point on building another city on a 6 tile island (worse case scenario and the most probable as far as i can see) An earlier curragh+grany+map making+harbor+upgrade galley seems to be the way.

We could do slingshot to phil but i doubt in demigod we can make it though...
Got file. Will play soon. I think even at "worst case scenario" we need 2 Cities at least. Before construction it will be efficient. Defenetly we will go Alpha, Writing, Phylo. Even if we "miss" sling Phylo is cheap.
Roster in order of appearence, OK?

I.Larkin
Hasdrubal Barca
Elear
Automated Teller
Marsden(?)
Piu Freddo(?)

Question: what short name may be for Hasdrubal Barca?
Ivan

Fine by me. I use that research path in almost every game anyway.

you start on a small island

Yeah, 6-7 tile island. We'll need every tile to have a productive capital.

Anyone thinking abandoning the spot eventually and moving the Palace to a mainland spot once we have some land conquered? Because usually you don't build spaceships on 6 tile islands.

Looked at save. Greeks out.
Island is not that smalll. 9 tiles...
I put file on server.
Hasdrubal Barca Up.
But we have to discuss what to do.
It is a big problem...

Wow. Sorry I'm late. What might the problem be? Or don't I want to know.

Did you already play or could you just tell from looking at the save?

So, we have 2 cities and 1/3 of alphabet.

We have a cow, 2 BG's, a grass tile, a plain, a hill and a mountain, a fish and .. what is that, mussels? clams? CivAssist renders it as tobacco, which is kind of funny looking in a coastal tile.

looks like we have a safe passage for curraghs to the south east.

To help out those who haven't downloaded the save:

Spoiler :

Kyoto has 2 warriors for MP, Osaka has 1.
We have 1 worker and 1 worker only.

20 turns in, 27 turns to go for Alphabet, though that will go down as the towns grow.

I take it that we want more workers? but haven't been able to get more because of low pop? Of 29 opponents, I wonder which civ was not used.

BTW, don't we have to post the save in the forum for the next person to play?

Top Bottom