SGOTM 13 - Phoenix Rising

The plan looks great Awilder, you look like you've really got it down to a tee. Can't remember if I've already posted this but the only thing I would say is make sure that you pay more attention than usual when scouting. Take it 1 move at a time and always think "how can I reveal the most tiles and the most useful ones as well?"

No one answered my question about the Mids in Paris. Do we think we can get both the mids and TC in Paris? I think it is a question that needs to be discussed/answered before we sink OF hammers into the mids.

Gotcha....looking forward to seeing your results, AW

Are your running the BULL dll? it will definitely not work if you are not using the vanilla dll

there is some customassets checker provided by HOF team which should help you identify the problem.

There are 2 assets folders. One is in your "documents and settings" folder, the other one directly in installation folder.
Are you sure you didn't touch any of those 2 places?

maybe clean reinstall could help (with deleting your data in documents and settings, well maybe more like saving them somewhere, but definitely clearing the folders there)

Delete the custom assets folder entirely - the folder itself, not the contents. Hold the "Shift" key and load civ without any mods and close it. then try loading buffy

also, your vanilla dll should be 4834kb...if not, it's custom or you are not patched up.

Everything went off without a hitch. Met some new people.

Spoiler :

First off, for some reason our trade network connected to Cathy on T78:

I tried to document all boat activity.
Here's another cathy boat:

It disappeared south after that.

Same turn (turn 80) we met Ragnar!

We are connected to his trade network as well. We could have gifted him a clam (he is only one who doesn't have clam) but I elected not to, bc he is the only one we can trade something he wants (they all want marble but that can't go right now!)

t86 we meet Izzy, who founded budd:

we are also connected to her trade network (doesn't want clam, though)

I stopped on t89 as planned. The settler remains unwhipped, and the galley has 2 movement points.

Here are the two interesting sites we can see:

gold:

stone:

Unfortunately I didn't manage to scout around the whole stone island. I could have made it in hindsight, but since I saw the island extend into the fog at the time (didn't know how much), I didn't want to risk missing the worker on t83.

Other notes:
-EP was on cathy whole time
-1 hammer in mids in Paris
-out of gold, slider at 0% but that can be tweaked for upcoming turnset ofc
-no one has writing

Event log:
Spoiler :

Turn 74, 2150 BC: You have trained a Worker in Paris. Work has now begun on a Work Boat.

Turn 75, 2125 BC: The borders of Paris have expanded!
Turn 75, 2125 BC: Marco Polo (Great Merchant) has been born in a far away land!

Turn 76, 2100 BC: You have discovered Priesthood!

Turn 83, 1925 BC: You have discovered Masonry!

Turn 85, 1875 BC: Victoria adopts Slavery!

Turn 86, 1850 BC: You have trained a Work Boat in Orleans. Work has now begun on a Lighthouse.
Turn 86, 1850 BC: Judaism has been founded in a distant land!

Turn 87, 1825 BC: Paris can hurry Settler for 2? with 1? overflow and +1? for 27 turns.

Turn 88, 1800 BC: You have discovered Pottery!

Turn 89, 1775 BC: Clearing a Forest has created 30 ? for Orleans.

Well played. I'm going to say that we should settle the gold island before the stone. I don't think that we are in a horrible hurry to get the Mids and the stone site actually has decent production, so building them shouldn't be a hassle.

The gold island would be like ecstasy for our economy. The sooner we settle it, the better.

Yeah, Mids would just be gravy. Gold site is a must next and maybe we can setup a 4th city near stone shortly after. Looks like 2 decent cities on Stone Island.

Gold site might scream Maoi or could be the NE site

Not really bad not having fully scouted the stone site as the Fish is all we really need to see. I'm torn on where to settle over there. Settling on the jungle might be good, but 1N of stone can work the grasshill on main island. However, that makes Pig/Fish somewhat marginal unless we build Moai there. I think the jungle tile is close to more land so it may be worked by another site.

Well played Awilder! :goodjob:

Cue 3 pages of discussion on where to settle gold city, on or off gold? :lol:

I think the main issue atm is the stone site. I think it should be settled 2nd (after gold). The main options look to be 1N or 1NE of stone. (2S1E is an option too i guess if theres food in the fog)I think we need stone in the first ring so we can get started on mids asap when it gets built (even if we just get fail gold it'll be worth it. 1NE gets fish and stone both in first ring, but it blocks settlng the fish pigs city. That's why I like 1N, it'll take a bit to get the food online but it will actually become a production "powerhouse" for a water map, with 4 hill tiles (stone makes up for the fact that one is desert) it'll probably only be 2nd in production to our maoi location (doesn't have enough food to warrant building maoi there itself). Also, we can mine the hill on the caps island so it'll have an improved tile to work straight away!

Now finally more decisions! I'd say writing is a must given all the people we've met, AH would probably be next. Cap needs to finish WB then build another worker, it could also use a granary then start pumping out settlers, forge is also needed for Colossus and prod/ happy bonus, hmm....

I think it is a good time for stopping and start to formulate long term plan and then some short term decisions.

We should probably think about where we want to be at 1AD.
If we settle gold, 2 cities on stone island we will have already 5 cities, which is reasonably a lot.

Since we plan forges the gold is absolutely awesome for us, bringing our happy cap to 9 just with forge and monument as hammer investment.
At some islands it will mean we work almost all good tiles, since even with colossus the coast is 2f3c which is not bad, but not stellar.

No need for HR then.

We know nothing about strategics though, except we don't have bronze.

Maybe we could get AH before writing? If I remember correctly from the Mehmed IC game we had there trade routes with Gilgamesh just after Gilga opened borders with us and we lacked the writing at that time (maybe worth checking if we really need writing asap).

We should not forget barb galleys and prepare at least 1-2 triremes in advance now we can.

It seems like a lot of work still! We got really nice start, now we should not botch it down.

^^^^Great minds think alike, BB :) Stone city is definitely important as it has serious production potential "relative" to our island paradise situation. I like 1N of Stone as well. Interestingly, it's something I've had my eye on for some time if the food had worked out. It will be interesting when we reveal what I think is some more land just east of the jungle tile

Research planning becomes real crucial here. Writing is a no-brainer - simply have to have it. Where we go from there is another matter as we a) need to set up trade ops b) we need to find some strat resources.

However, there's not much we can really do with a strat resource at the moment since we are in no position to launch any kind of war and land barbs are of no issue. The only concern being whether the AIs getting pissy with us.

So I guess we look at a strictly war based route of something like IW > Machinery. Maybe do a Xbow Rush. Trading for construction on the way. Or play it more peace and tech to Lit for an easy TGL and look for later and more reliable war efforts. Anyway, something to think about.

At this point, I think we might have horse on the island to the SW and probably not on any visible land in the vicinity except possible just north of us. I have a feeling iron is on the main island - on one of this originally unforested GHs - it's be very nice if it was on the hill that can be worked by Stone City. You'd think they'd give us one strat resource.

By the way - I've 4 for 4 guessing the AIs in the test game :)

V - I think AH is something we have to forfeit in the short term. We want writing asap to get at least a library up to boost research and run scientists simply to keep pace, plus OB with anyone who doesn't have it. In addition, it will get us closer to Alpha whether we tech it or not. Only AH Resource I see is Pigs to the East at a site I don't think we will be settling for some time (unless there is desert iron). It's not that great of an early site. Besides Gold City and Stone City, we probably need to save the next site for something that will grab an important resource or overall just a strategic position.

We should not forget barb galleys and prepare at least 1-2 triremes in advance now we can.

good point...it will be interesting defending against barb galleys since they can come from all directions. Hopefully we will have more settling/border pops by the and can set up the 'remes at the key positions of defense.

Top Bottom