SGOTM 15 - Discussion Thread

I'm a little fuzzy on "City Flip After Conquest." What exactly does this mean, and isn't it the default setting?

Basically you can not ignore the culture in a newly aquired city via war. The city has the potential to flip back to the original owner. I have never experince this but a conquest may not be a true conquest. Cool ah. :)

Nice try Alan, but reading your post and Neil's, I have to ask if this scenario is permitted:

found Hinduism
stay no religion
switch to Free Religion
switch to a religious civic
convert to Hinduism
complete victory condition

not that anyone would do this, but is it allowed?
can we be in Free Religion while waiting to convert?
As I understand it, Free Religion counts as a "religion" as far as Civ4 is concerned. My statement says " .... convert to it as your first and only religion ....". So no, you can't switch to Free Religion before you convert to Hinduism.

That's why we have these discussion threads - because we like to discuss. :mischief:
Speak for yourself :) I'd rather be wrapping gifts.

Are we allowed to found other religions? Or restricted from being the first civ to their techs?
You can't convert to another religion. That presumably doesn't stop you founding them.

. Since the requirement is to adopt immidiately
OK, that's the part that wasn't clear to me - we need to convert the turn we found it.

I'm a little fuzzy on "City Flip After Conquest." What exactly does this mean, and isn't it the default setting?
Others have answered already. But the default setting is "No City Flip After Conquest". This game's setting is one few of us have experience in.

As I understand it, Free Religion counts as a "religion" as far as Civ4 is concerned. My statement says " .... convert to it as your first and only religion ....". So no, you can't switch to Free Religion before you convert to Hinduism.

Neil posted no free religion allowed :D

I was removing any doubt. Neil's statement *might* have been interpreted by those who take perverse pleasure in these discussions as meaning you couldn't switch out of Hinduism into Free Religion. I am clarifying that you can't use Free Religion *before* adopting Hinduism, either.

I think that the rules are fairly clear and the clarifications are almost redundant.

Just this: where is the trick?

Unless there's another civ starting with Myst. and this civ has a lot of commerce at the start (financial with Fishing or an oasis) found Hinduism is not a big problem. With Stone and marble in BFC and a Philo Leader an early Shrine is a parkwalk. Any VC enabled and no other constraints.

I ask again: where is the trick?

Man, you guys are hilarious

Sorry for any ambiguity. There is no trick, just a simple rule.

You must found Hinduism, convert to it as your first and only religion, and then remain Hindu for the entire game.

1. Does this mean we have to convert to Hindu on turn we found the religion? Or could we wait till final turn of the game to convert?
2. I assume all teams must adopt the Hindu religion at some stage. So you can't stay in no religion from start to finish.

You must revolt to Hindu the turn you found it.

:sigh:

The requirement now states:

"You must found Hinduism, immediately convert to it as your first and only religion, and then remain Hindu for the entire game."

30-some posts, the description of the game mentions "praying to Shiva", and no one has Shiva-blasted yet?

Sorry for any ambiguity. There is no trick, just a simple rule.
I can't see any ambiguity and the rule is fairly simple, sure.

The trick i suspect is the open conditions for victory, unusual for a SGotM.

But it was almost a joke. You guys are too serious.

30-some posts, the description of the game mentions "praying to Shiva", and no one has Shiva-blasted yet?

I'll have a go.

Praying to Shiva will be needed here, or we'll have new time loss records for SGOTM - which I predict we'll have in any case.

I'll have a go.

Praying to Shiva will be needed here, or we'll have new time loss records for SGOTM - which I predict we'll have in any case.

That's no Shiva-blast.

SHIVAah KAMINI SOMAah KANDARKRAM!!!

It's from The League. Now back to your regularly-scheduled SGOTM programming. :)

At the risk of making Alan blow a gasket, perhaps the following small tweak to the "special condition" makes it more precise:

Special Condition: You must found Hinduism, immediately convert to it as your first and only state religion, and then remain Hindu for the entire game.

I think this would then convey the idea that Hinduism must be your first and only state religion, but not the only religion in your state (which would require some luck and a theo beeline, wouldn't it? :mischief:).

dV

At first glance I thought we got to choose our civ (Unrestricted Leaders), but after rereading I guess it's just all the AI players that are likely to be non-default.

Can't say that City Flip After Conquest and No Tech Brokering are exactly my favourite settings, but should be interesting anyway. :)

Are we allowed to know the map size? With 9 civs I presume Standard or Large are the most likely culprits.

Top Bottom