SGOTM 17 - Plastic Ducks

Sorry guys, I'll have to pass on this one.
Big changes in my life recently, and chances are that gaming will not be a big part of it anymore, at least not something requiring an involvement such as these games
That's a real shame, we'll miss you a lot :( Hope the 'big changes' are positive for you, though :)

Looks like we have some recruitment to do...

Has soundjata's departure precipitated the end of the Plastic Ducks? :wow:

Farewell, Bebekija. :wavey: Best of luck, and I hope to play another game with you in the future.

If shakabrade is up for another go... Duckweed drops by... get bestsss's knowledge again... we might be short a few playing hands: I have a rather busy schedule in the coming months.

Guys you are a top team, people should be knocking at your door to join. We had same problem last game but we manage to get a team together. Good luck guys.

I am still weighing my options. I won't have any free time until late September but should have plenty of time after that. But I thought last game should be like that and I happened to get overburdened. I considered helping some lower ranking team, but since I won't be there when I could help the most (early game), I guess that's not the option. I still have things to learn in PD and would like to participate. But don't want to be as absent as in the last game. So, I still don't know. I guess it's gonna be last second decision.:dunno:

^^The way things are going we'll be the team who needs you the most :) Late September still leaves you with a few months game time ;)

shakabrade, please sign up. :p I learn a lot from playing with you.

Plus, look at Unforced Error. Do you see her post count? That's right. 2000. TWO THOUSAND. Unforced Error has saved her bimillenial post to ask, nay, plead with you to join our team. If that cannot end your hesitation and doubt, what will?

This situation reminds me what happened in SGOTM14 where I almost retired. Bebekija's enthusiasm inspired me to stay. SGOTM15 gave me the 2nd best experience with the joining of Soundjata. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11459135&postcount=923 I had great hope on SGOTM16 with the new members of shakabrade (I had spent quite some time with him in S&T forum and hoped him become a top SGOTM player) and Abegweit and that turned out to be great game. SGOTM17 was well-played (very similar to SGOTM14 and better played in war part), but myself contributed very little (played merely 4 turns and did not run any test):(. I considered a great team to be composed of ~5 active players and they all contribute to the game most of the time and keep a harmonia atmosphere among each other. That's why I think our SGOTM11 team was the best and OSS SGOTM11 and 12 team was great as well. TBH, I hesitate to stay furthermore, partialy due to PC issues, and partially because there's not much challenge left here. As I said to shakabrade before, I considered SGOTMs a place to talk rather than a competition. The leaving of 2 core members just diminishes my little remaining interest. :sad:

I can still remember the time when I quietly recruited a new team of entirely SGOTM newbies (including myself) while shyuhe, bbp and other OSS members were training their teamwork in SG forum and greeted us surprisingly. :smug:http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=343185&page=41

Last, it's a warm memory to play with you all along these years, kossin.:) If shakabrade is willing to stay and play, I'm sure that you could keep the team being competitive, good luck!

BTW, I have been playing Crusader Kings II recently. Quite relaxing and educational, it's fun to teach those little arrogant braggarts a lesson, and sometime I have to keep watching my purse everyday after my wards got greedy trait.:lol:

Okay, guys, I am in. Without PD, diminishing Civ4 community would probably dissipate. Me myself has thought about trying Civ5 with new expansions!!!?

Duckweed, you could still stay as an advisor and, without any obligations, point out to some possibilities. But don't sign up as an advisor cause that is pointless :). Be a player who doesn't play.
Like me in past SGOTM :).

I second shakabrade's words on this :)

Thank you for the kind words. A lot of good memories for myself as well.

It's a fact however that my civ4 drive is drying up slowly but I still try to make SGOTM and give it my best... spending way too much time on HoMM3 these days :lol:

I used calculator for HoMM3 to avoid killing 20 health with 2k damage.

What was the year I was playing it all day long, 2001? OMG, I am so old, and almost all of you and CFC are older than me, bwahahaha!

Maybe we should play MP some day, i miss that game ;)
Here comes Crag Hack with his Ancients, wuwu..

Definitely best MP strategy PC game ever! Spent too many sleepless nights waiting for those epic final showdown battles...

Really surprised to discover it is still played MP after all those years...where are my discs? :lol:

Duckweed, please stay at least as an advisor :) CK2 is an awesome unique game indeed, but it still needs a bit of polish to provide real challenges.

Duckweed, please stay at least as an advisor :) CK2 is an awesome unique game indeed, but it still needs a bit of polish to provide real challenges.

well to be honest in CK II is no challenge.... but if you set some house rules and don't try to optimize too much you can have very fun game :).

For example one of house rules is to give away land to dynasty members (from gameplay perspective is better to not give land to dynasty members for a lot of reasons)

you have to put yourself a lot of limitations usually if you want to be there for long game... otherwise usually after first 60-80 years there's not much to do...

Vranasm, that's exactly what I thought :) You can easily become emperor within the first 100 years even if you start as a count and then the whole game just becomes boring. You can't get another emperor title (as far as I can tell) the best you can do is integrate more and more kingdoms. Staying in peace is very much out of question because there's not too much to do in peace times. I'm afraid 'not trying to optimize much' kills a bit of the fun for a diehard strategy geek like me. Giving titles to dynasty members is a great suggestion, though, I will definitely try it :) Not that it's historically correct (guess getting rid of potential title claimants was generally more common) but it should still add something to the role-play aspect of the game.

Vranasm, that's exactly what I thought :) You can easily become emperor within the first 100 years even if you start as a count and then the whole game just becomes boring. You can't get another emperor title (as far as I can tell) the best you can do is integrate more and more kingdoms. Staying in peace is very much out of question because there's not too much to do in peace times. I'm afraid 'not trying to optimize much' kills a bit of the fun for a diehard strategy geek like me. Giving titles to dynasty members is a great suggestion, though, I will definitely try it :) Not that it's historically correct (guess getting rid of potential title claimants was generally more common) but it should still add something to the role-play aspect of the game.

Dunno...some rulers gave away titles after successful wars, some rulers gave away titles to sons before death etc etc...

Actually sometimes I feel like it's not about how many titles I hold (or have vassals), but how many successful branches of my family I create in the world ;-)

that's why I almost never marriage my daughters non-matrilinear... even if I admit that nobles are very clever haha and don't want matrilinear marriages, but once you are big enough you always find some god forgotten count somewhere.

I think giving titles to their sons was pretty common which then resulted in succession wars after the ruler's death...
Yep, I think matrilinear marriages for your daughters are a must with agnatic-cognatic succession. You just have to micromanage female family members who inherit titles. They are capable of marrying patrilinearilly (is that a word?) if you don't monitor them carefully.
Besides, I don't really understand why all dynasties default to agnatic-cognatic gavelkind. E.g. the House of Árpád had tons of (fairly bloody) succession wars with some supporting 'agnatic seniority' and some others 'agnatic primogeniture'. Any female on the throne would have caused all vassals to auto-revolt instead of giving a -10 to opinion :) They just didn't have the right mindset for it :D

I think giving titles to their sons was pretty common which then resulted in succession wars after the ruler's death...
Yep, I think matrilinear marriages for your daughters are a must with agnatic-cognatic succession. You just have to micromanage female family members who inherit titles. They are capable of marrying patrilinearilly (is that a word?) if you don't monitor them carefully.
Besides, I don't really understand why all dynasties default to agnatic-cognatic gavelkind. E.g. the House of Árpád had tons of (fairly bloody) succession wars with some supporting 'agnatic seniority' and some others 'agnatic primogeniture'. Any female on the throne would have caused all vassals to auto-revolt instead of giving a -10 to opinion :) They just didn't have the right mindset for it :D

well me for example suprised the seniority succession in Bohemia in 1066 start... I though we had primogeniture like forever except for Svatopluk from Grand Moravia who clearly had Gavelkind (the oh so well known story of 3 sons and 3 wands of a tree going broke if they don't hold together)

and to be honest the agnatic-cognatic doesn't make sense for Bohemia too, considering premyslovci died out by a sword...

Maybe the game designers put that in to avoid many early exits if you by chance create your own character at the start and don't use the historical ruler... than again agnatic-cognatic seniority doesn't even make too much sense in game terms. There should always be a male heir in seniority... even if he dies within the first month :) That actually sounds like a more challenging start... you do need to rule for 10 years to change your succession law after all.

Top Bottom