[BTS] SGOTM 26 - Home Slices

I'm back. Buffy problem fixed.
I have read through the discussions. It seems the in-game setting panel doesn't show which type of landmass we are playing on. The size and the shape suggests it is less likely to be "wide continents" or "small islands". On narrow continents and islands it's easier to find overseas trade routes without astronomy. GLH priority increases?

I'm back. Buffy problem fixed.
I have read through the discussions. It seems the in-game setting panel doesn't show which type of landmass we are playing on. The size and the shape suggests it is less likely to be "wide continents" or "small islands". On narrow continents and islands it's easier to find overseas trade routes without astronomy. GLH priority increases?

Welcome MirrorGuard! :D

The maintenance thread says the map was heavily edited, so the only thing we know on turn 0 should be the total number of land tiles and the total number of water tiles.

Ya, if we get 6 coastal cities, then TGL in our merchant city might be a great idea.
+24:gold: per turn with 12 AI cities or 2 domestic cities on a different landmass.

On a map like this, the 2:food: on the coastal tiles might be more valuable than gold if there is too much tundra.

My gut is still saying the AI will have good capital locations and will be able to threaten us.
I'll never forget my game where Toku captured my capital with an amphibious attack off a galleon after plotting war for ages.

But if we mess up our diplomacy with war, we might not get Friendly AI for easy tech trades. :hmm:

We should also consider whether spreading and converting the whole world to one religion will help our tech rate the most, or if we might accidentally lose to an AI Apostolic Palace victory doing so.

Welcome, MirrorGuard! I assume that you're willing and able to play turns, right? Do you have a general idea of how SGOTMs run with discussion, Pre-Play Plans (PPP), agreement, play turns, stop any time something interesting/unplanned happens, etc.?

By the way, what timezone are you in?

We should also consider whether spreading and converting the whole world to one religion will help our tech rate the most, or if we might accidentally lose to an AI Apostolic Palace victory doing so.

We could always convert everyone but one civ...

Green light, LC.

I think you're good to go. Everyone has posted in the thread since you posted your plan and you go two green lights and no red lights. Go, go, go!!

Wet rice is so much better. That +1:food: will help a lot.

All 6 AIs pre-settled if I’m not mistaken.
Demo screen
GNP 22 20 18
MFG 2 1 1
Food 5 4 2
Soldiers 18 18 18 !!!
Land 7 6.3 5
Pop 1 1 1
Approval 83 83 83% !!!
Life 91 87 83

Turnset 1: 4000 bc -

T0
Set2 se. No seafood but two more fogged coastal that set5 could defog going se-sw.
Set7 se-se. Reveals 3 plains hills plus one fogged. Another fogged lake due east.
Set5 se. All fogged coastal tiles across bottom. Se-se, No seafood. Reachable (offshore?) land tile at wines-8s.

Pausing to discuss.

Set3 at wines-sw could go sw to defog two of three coastal tiles possibly stranded by SIP. Or settle both cities then decide on further scouting.

Last edited:
773 land tiles...

Based on what you said, I don't see any reason not to settle the two cities we originally planned with the gems city being settled first. We also have to figure out the MM for which tiles to work to time worker completion and AH.

The AI capital are all pre-settled as you mentioned; they show up on the Top 5 Cities tab.

In the test game, the numbers for soldiers on T1 (after letting the AI settle their first cities) were 22K, 17K, 14K vs 18K, 18K, 18K in the real game. So I don't think anything too out of the ordinary is going on here.

The land numbers tell us the every AI is either coastal or has at least 2 water tiles in their inner cross.

LC, do you want to start with this and see how we can improve it to pull in AH (if it makes sense):

Test #2:

T0: Science on PH with rice and Sheep, build worker.100% research on AH
T2: City #2 on PH with Furs and Cow; build worker. Set slider to 0%.
T5: Research AH at 100%, 8 turns, 24 gold
T13: AH done; we see horses. Science finishes worker, worker walks to sheep.
T14: City 2 finishes worker. Both workers pasture.

EDIT: I thought I ran a test where I settled City #2 on T0 also. Hang on.

Attachments

• TEST SAVE - Home Slices BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    35.6 KB · Views: 71
773 / 7 = 110 tiles per player. :eek: Small!

New thought: Set4 nw defogs possible tiles for settling set1 at cows-ne, which in turn would allow settling crabs-e, if it has more seafood.

Note that settling cows-sip on T1 or T2 isn’t horribly worse than on T0.

We don’t know yet how cramped we’ll be so a bit more defogging might be worth it.

From the pre-game discussion:

Test#3

T0: Science on PH with rice and Sheep, build worker. City #2 on PH with Furs and Cow; work plains river tile; build worker. 0% slider
T3: 100% slider; AH in 9 turns, -3 gpt, 27 gold
T8: Switch citizen in city #2 from plains river to cow. Speeds up worker but doesn't slow down AH.
T12: AH done.
T13: Science finishes worker; partial farm on Science-1N
T14: City #2 finishes worker. Both workers pasture.

This gets the workers out the same turns as test #2 but pulls in AH by 1 turn.

773 / 7 = 110 tiles per player. :eek: Small!

That's about the same size as the test game. But 7 cities * 21 tile BFC = 147 tiles with no overlap so it is possible that we'll either be cramped or we'll end up settling toward the AI to cramp them a bit more.

Note that settling cows-sip on T1 or T2 isn’t horribly worse than on T0.

True. In my test #2 vs. test #3, it only delayed AH by 1 turn. Moving off the PH is painful though.

I'm getting confused which settler # refers to which one. Can you upload a screenshot so show what you're proposing?

EDIT: I see. The settlers are named in the real save and they don't match the move numbers suggested on the screenshot you recently posted. A screen shot of the updated area would still be useful with the settlers named on the screenie. :)

Last edited:
I had an MM that got mysticism done I turn earlier. I’ll dig that up if we settle both cities on T0. Right now I’d like to get more input on the scouting.

That's about the same size as the test game. But 7 cities * 21 tile BFC = 147 tiles with no overlap so it is possible that we'll either be cramped or we'll end up settling toward the AI to cramp them a bit more.

True. In my test #2 vs. test #3, it only delayed AH by 1 turn. Moving off the PH is painful though.

I'm getting confused which settler # refers to which one. Can you upload a screenshot so show what you're proposing?
How do we upload screenshots nowadays? I realized that each settler is numbered settler one through seven, so I changed my labeling on my turnset report to correspond to the actual names of the settlers.

Press "Upload a File" and navigate to the file you want to upload. Right click on the file name and select "Copy Link Location". Push the "Image" button at the top where all of the font buttons are and paste in the copied link.

This is a phone photo. I have to drive to a hotspot to wire my computer... :blush: Let me know if the pic is good enough

I’d edit the pic but don’t know how on my phone.

Attachments

• 2FBF53AF-F9CF-4279-A5BF-DD1538BA25CB.jpeg
    2FBF53AF-F9CF-4279-A5BF-DD1538BA25CB.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 110
Top Bottom