1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] SGOTM 26 - Home Slices

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession GOTM' started by AlanH, Apr 23, 2020.

1. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

Good observation. I was thinking we could press on to Sailing by working the mine, but you're right, it will be so close to p2 that we have to let it grow.
    Painful I know, but it jumps to +8 after the mine.

2. WastinTime

Actually, around T36 in my test, we only pay -8 for silvercity.
    Good news, our 5th city (on the south island) is only -7
    and -10 for Wales as #6

Sailing gives +12

Very manageable expenses.

3. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

PR t26 graph Guesses

T22 rax, p6 gives +4 power, Myst?!! (How so fast?), 3rd city might have comped wb t20, grew to p2 t22, but then even slower teching

T26 score +56?!?!?! How? 12 tiles capital = 30. I can’t see another pop growth, and 3rd city couldn’t be 10 tiles = 26, so settled 4th city? = 9 for pop and 7 tiles for 3rd city, but then not canal?

If not canal, then closer city explains faster Myst.

Hmmmm....other ideas?

Ed: No pop growth between t6 - t21 is why I think 3rd city worked 1h, but then how did they get AH t14? That was tge first indicator they did’t settle canal.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  4. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

Wales is...where? Oh whales. Duh... :wallbash:

5. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Ok, I'll take over for the next turnset. :)

Will build up gold on Sailing, explore, and then we can decide on Bronze Working or Sailing at the appropriate turn.

Yes, our 5th city on an island or connected to our landmass is a +5:gold: per turn difference with Sailing.

I hope it is on another landmass!

6. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

i’m very reluctant to commit to both Silver and Whales. Leaves us with two settlers for S, N, and SB-S.

In such a long game, is there a hurry to settle?

If you had to choose, Whales or Silver?

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  7. WastinTime

Probably silver. I don't think this going to be a long game now that we see all this food. I was thinking +6-8 food was going to be the best we'd see ("food is scarce" warning), but now our worst food is Science with +6, cows +8. (pre biology)
    We will use 10 bulbs to get Biology, <10 turns later sushi, 40-50 turns later = Win.
    I calculated in my sleep last night that it will take only ~20-24 turns in Pacifism to get those 10 bulbs (12 GP).
    Fyi, I've mostly ruled out Parthenon (I'll save that analysis for another post) MoM is a possibility, I'm open to other artist wonders.
    We need to set up our cities and grow them to size 10-12-ish so they're ready for the Pacifism window. Of course, we have a lot of whipping/regrowing to do before this window. Not sayin' we go straight to size 12.

I think we'd be fine/happy just taking Whales and Silver. What are the chances the grass is that much greener past SB? Ok, so literally the grass is probably much greener than Whales or silver, but you know what I mean.

8. WastinTime

National Park

We'll be lucky to have each city doing 100:science: with our capital doing 200 (pre-sushi)
    The National Park will be like adding an 8th and 9th city. It could add 120-200 depending on where we put it.
    Works best with Oxford which means Science city (note: science city isn't necessarily our capital, but let's go with that)

Therefore: plan to never chop in Science's BFC except the Gems.
    - Encourage forest/jungle growth. To that end, let's NOT farm at Wine-1E
    And we don't road unforested, unresourced tiles.
    I'd like to see 12 preserves here. (12 x 6 sci) = 72 (oxford, lib, uni, observ) = +198 bpt

9. WastinTime

Wealth engine
    :devil:
    Evil new idea ahead

If no marble/stone and no IND, we can't get much out of failgold. Wonderbread still works for putting overflows into wonders, but it won't make sense to spend turns actually building wonders when building wealth/research is the exact same benefit.
    Henge (or anything pre-currency) of course is the exception cus we can't build wealth rt now.

With Cuirs, I expect to get 2500 conquest gold, but that comes late in the game.
    We could use early units to conquer non-capitals (assumption is castle/hill capitals), but there's not a lot of $$ there because conquer gold grows based on how old the city is.

blah, blah, I'm preaching what you all know. Get to the secret new strategy!

Spoiler Money Tree :

Pillaging

In just about any other games, if you have the units, you capture every city you can (as fast as you can support them, ) but that's off the table. And you don't pillage cus that's your city now. And you capture all the workers.

We can set up a perpetual harassment system --probably with our UU -- where we leave the workers to re-mine, re-cottage everything. We re-pillage.

LowtherCastle likes this.
  10. Mitchum

Mitchum Deity

It would be great to have more happiness resources. I wonder if there are ivory, gold or calendar resources south or north... We see the SB has silk so maybe NZ didn't take all of them away.

NP in Science looks like the best we have right now. I'm agree that we should not chop Science even though it's painful. Are we still thinking GLib here?

11. Mitchum

Mitchum Deity

Interesting idea about pillaging. It will be more beneficial later in the game because matured cottages can give quite a lot of gold. Something to keep in mind for sure.

Do Emperor AI start with 2 scouts? If so, why haven't we seen SBs second scout?

12. WastinTime

Yes, with only 6 food, this 'Sh!^hole' city will need GLib to keep up with the other GPP rates.

13. WastinTime

But, mature cottages are one and done. I'm looking for rinse-repeat.
    I'm thinking once we have no expectation of tech trades, we start on this plan early.
    War Weariness? will that be an issue? even with few/no battles? or is it more time related?
    Should we build Zeus? for the first time ever (other than just for culture games). Hmm...looking up...Artist wonder...
    Oops, nope: enemies suffer war weariness. Doesn't fix ours. I thought it did!
    What's that thing that halves WW?
    Spoiler found it :
    Mt Rushmore. -25% WW (national wonder)

14. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

How does this align with having enough relations to have them trade us resources at the end?

15. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

You only get WW from killing units and cities. Not from killing workers or pillaging, as far as I know. It decays about 1% per turn.

16. WastinTime

Ouch. I figured there'd be a bump in the road. I guess the solution is to stay at war -- just one DoW per AI -- until Sushi. That way, we can probably repair relationships.
    I forgot how a kill-em all strategy doesn't fit well with collecting sushi. Hmm..

17. WastinTime

SB:
    Will trade extra health resources: Cautious
    Many AI will trade at annoyed. Hopefully we get some of those.

18. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

Fascism gives:
    Mt. Rushmore, -25% WW
    Police State, -50% WW (also opened by Mids)

Jails: -25% WW in that city

19. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

How about your patented stealing wealth for a small empire? SB might be small, not that he’ll have any wealth, Ha ha ha.

20. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

My cursory testing indicates it’s better medium term for Cows to be p3 when we net the crabs. If so, asks if the delayed research costs too much. We want Cows at p6 asap.