1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] SGOTM 26 - Home Slices

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession GOTM' started by AlanH, Apr 23, 2020.

1. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

Forgot again. Well then cowboy would have a tundra icehill to mine after silver+fur whlie waiting for borders/deer.

2. Mitchum

Mitchum Deity

Sorry, I was thinking Writing enables libraries which then would enable Science to work 2 scientists.

Maybe we revisit Alpha beeline vs. BW (and IW) after we research Mining and see what the AI situation looks like. Earlier BW really would help us out a lot.

3. Mitchum

Mitchum Deity

I don't have time to run any testing right now. If someone wants to take over, they can. I should be able to spend some time on it tomorrow. It would be nice to see a save file that follows WT's plan.

4. WastinTime

I think those 2 gems are corrupting our brains. If we ignore them, we would have no interest in IW.
    Even if the AI will trade, can we really wait til Alpha to get the usual granary/slavery thing going?
    To me the benefit of Writing would have been to pass thru an AI, but we're pretty sure that SB is a dead-end. We can get +2 TRs in every city with an island. Each AI only provides one TR (if we find them)
    So writing is less and less attractive.

Now, we're planning to do mining, so there's another mark against Alpha.
    I'm strongly favoring BW, wheel, pottery.

5. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

Wtg is ~12t away. Now.

Maybe resources are corrupting our brains. AH for 2 (then 3) tiles. Mining for 1 tile.

Started out with Fish (10+) +Agr (1) + Hunt (6+). Plus wbs to find Ais.

Almost kinda sorta seems mapmaker gave us what we need.

6. WastinTime

Rt, and it normally would tempting to just close our eyes and get Wtg-Alpha ASAP, but we calculated that Sailing is free (pays for itself) before we could get to Alpha, so that in for sure if we go Alpha
    But maybe Alpha has to be decided now, not after Sailing.

I've been wondering if it's worth it to delay slavery. Should we just do Mng-BW first? even without granary, it's awesome for our monument/wb/galley needs.

7. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

What Techs Provide

Sailing: own TRs, early access to nearby, low-maint islands, access to far side of SB’s land, resource trades (plusmods w/SB)

Mining: 1 silver mine, path to BW

Writing: OBs for access to SB’s lands (plusmods w/SB), TRs w/Sail, libraries, path to Alpha

BW: whipping, chopping, copper, axes

TW: roads, chariots, path to Pottery

Pottery: granaries, cottages

Anything else?

8. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

Re-Visiting Science City

City+Sheep+Rice+Wine+Copper=5fpt

If we beeline Alpha via TW, Pottery and Wtg are 40%. We could make 2-3 cottages instead of farms, 11hpt @ p6 builds library in 8t. 20cpt and growing before lib and tech boni.

Cows p6, 16cpt.

Those two alone tech alpha in 10t.

9. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

On what turn would we like 7 cities?

What will the maintenance look like then?

10. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

SH will give us about 115g about 2000 bc. How does that factor in?

I just don’t want to see us hit the wall too soon.

11. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

If we are committed to sending an exploration workboat, then canal has to support itself ya.

Hmm, T40 galley seems like a good all-around goal to shoot for.

I want to develop Silver City at the expense of Cows more compared to your test game.
    Here is what I got.
    1st workboat exploring just like yours.
    T34 Sailing and T40 Galley.

Silver City should be getting a silver mine at size 2 to help get monument out faster.
    The sacrifice is the improved tech spend and lower production means Cow can not work improved seafood until T42 because it has a 19/30:hammers: workboat it has to finish after Galley.

In your test game the improved seafood occurs right away, but using it pushes Galley back to T41 I think.

In my test game Science can skip working rice a little for unimproved wine tile and we can squeeze Mining in on T38 by working fur. :hmm:
    Uhh, might also have to work 2 sea tiles in canal too.
    Anyway, the capital worker can start on Deer T37 and Cow city can work cow, deer, and improved seafood on T42.
    Capital can build another worker after Stonehenge to go make more fur camps.

It is quite similar to what you were looking at.
    Spoiler :

**Edit**
    Fixed
    T40 galley sorry.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  12. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

I just don’t see how Sailing isn’t next. Even if we then beeline IW-MC.

13. Mitchum

Mitchum Deity

Kait, I like the save. It looks like a T40 galley to me. How do you finish it on T39?

As an option, what about Cows going wb1 -> Monument since in this test we don't have a wb for the nets when the borders pop anyway? That gets us an exploring wb 5ish turns sooner which could be pretty big.

14. Mitchum

Mitchum Deity

I'm thinking the same thing. There is bound to be a nice city site south and having an overseas TR in every city (assuming it's not connected) could be a pretty big benefit to our economy.

15. WastinTime

If there are no sites to settle off-continent, then Sailing is much less useful. Just +3-4 gpt.
    Is that worth it to delay slavery? I have to get some work done, but if we're not in a hurry, I can try to test BW beeline late tonight.

16. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

I see no trickery here. Exploration is getting rewarded. There aren’t 7 sites on our mainland worthy of an SG. I see NZ rewarding every choice. No team will be punished. BW will reveal a copper tile somewhere. OBs soon will yield useful info on SB. So on...

In the next 5+ turns the wb will tell us if there’s a multi-food site. We can set the slider to 0% and commit to Sailing or Mining then.

I’d test with that mind. We don’t need Mining soon.

17. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

That’s what concerns me the most. Is this entire map one landmass or not? Blocking us off at SH prevents us from knowing that. Hopefully our wb will answer that question.

18. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

An MC beeline gives us a long time to meet AIs before trading for Alpha. But can we wait for Masonry and Writing?

19. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

The exploration workboat has already been produced.

Delaying monument 5 turns slows down deer 5 turns while speeding up silver workboat 5 turns.
    I don't think it is worth it.

20. Mitchum

Mitchum Deity

Oh yeah. ;)