1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] SGOTM 26 - Home Slices

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession GOTM' started by AlanH, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Mitchum

Mitchum Deity

Looks great, Kaitzilla. Green light.

2. Mitchum

Mitchum Deity

When do we get a wb scout to go NW? What about to the island NE? I realize this will happen after this turn set but hopefully not too long after.

3. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

I'm highly skeptical that SB-S will have some magical site, and even if it does, do we want to strand a city down there? Hard to protect. Expensive distance. Border tension or border loss if he builds a wonder. Getting a worker there or returning worker when nothing to do down there. Gets cut off if at war with SB.
    Given how much land we have and how horrible SB's capital now appears to be, my earlier prediction that the best sites would require us to destroy nearby capitals is probably off. I wonder if the AI is going to be extra pathetic this game because normally SG's have to beef them up at these lower difficulties to make them a threat. But this game capture is not an option, so why not make the AI useless. Or challenge us to make them helpful in some way. (i.e. give a lot of tech...or just the pillage idea again)

4. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Ok, I can do all of that.

Workboats are a bit strange in that they can unfog coastal land 2 tiles away, but can only unfog water tiles 1 tile away.
    I'll make sure to explore the edges.

Yes, the Liberate screen shows up for unmet AI if their capital is closer than our capital. :crazyeye:
    It does not allow us to formally meet the AI and just gives a hint that it is nearby, but giving the city away would allow us to met right away.
    Clicking this button would be game over! -> Fine, do so at the next opportunity
    Spoiler :

Sure

So weird.
    I guess One City Challenge is bugged when the player has more than 1 Settler due to world builder. :dunno:

Yes, fixed!

Ok

Sure

I think this is how it works?:
    Forest growth is 1 in 1000 chance each turn in the cardinal directions north, south, east, west onto tiles with no unit or improvment.
    Jungle growth is 2 in 1000 chance
    A preserve improvement on the forest/jungle multiplies this chance by 8
    A road improvement on the empty tile the forest/jungle is trying to spread onto cuts the chance in half.

Honestly, I think we should just ultimately cottage or farm the 3 plains river tiles northwest of Science City once a Worker becomes available for Science City.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  5. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

I'll play the Real Game up until Turn 25 in about 9 hours.

Mitchum and LowtherCastle like this.
  6. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

If we’re going for Sailing, we should try to optimally explore south. Due south is the cheapest city maintenance. I think it’s best to find out if there are more tiles east of the land we see. If not, then all remaining fogged tiles are in one direction.

It’s still a crapshoot but at least we’re playing the traditional map generator odds.

7. WastinTime

most likely, but in the meantime let's save it for last and see if we get some random luck. Even if we chop the forest that grows at Wine-1E, it has a chance to grow another forest at Wine-SE before then.

8. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

...And wine-2East.

9. WastinTime

Right, the point is: *if* we go Sailing. is that even a question anymore?
    I'd rather go west (left) if there's still a chance we drop sailing and go BW.
    But if we love this PPP so much and are doing Sailing 1st anyway, then we have a lot of time to explore either direction.
    Sailing 1st is probably a really good thing for reaching NE island. When would Canal be able to whip a galley if we go BW 1st, sailing later?
    Canal probably would rather whip a granary by then and has 3wbs, monument to do. Hey, is there a window of time where one of the canal wbs can explore the NE island before the galley goes all the way over there?

10. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

9-hour meal for thought.

If you guys think we’ll tech BW after Mining, should we go back to the 10t monument in Canal? T44 border pop, whip complete 2 wbs.

Xpost

11. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

Does it always pop up, when appropriate? How many turns after we settle does it pop up?

12. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

In my eyes, Sailing first is a no-brainer, but I wear glasses. We just don’t have enough food to make bronze working especially amazing right now.

Mitch keeps asking about a NE exploring wb...

13. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

on the other hand if the second work boat should go scouting then we’ll have time maybe to pop the borders so the crab nets should precede the monument. .

14. WastinTime

I think he was asking about a North-left workboot. But who really knows?

LowtherCastle likes this.
  15. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

NW and NE are maybe the best reasons for bronze working after sailing and mining of course.

16. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

The message always pops up 1 turn after settling if the AI capital is closer than the player capital.

Giving such a city away with a button click is a nice way to establish contact with an unmet AI city trapped behind mountains if going for an AP win in a regular game.

**Edit**
    Uhh, it does not really work if the player is a cultural civ (+2:culture: per turn) or has Stonehenge.
    The culture messes Liberate distances up.
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/prepare-to-cringe-bad-maps-deity.647427/page-6#post-15508869

Hmm, now that I look, test game Egypt was overseas which should have doubled the distance for Liberate. :hmm:
    Will have to test that more later.

I don't think overseas test Egypt should have gotten the chance to get a Liberate from Silver City according to my current understanding.
    It might be because we are playing One City Challenge and every city that is not our capital can be Liberated no matter what, so we will get that annoying pop up after every time we found a new city. :mad:
    Possibly game ending, but free scouting too :lol:

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    LowtherCastle likes this.
  17. Mitchum

Mitchum Deity

I recall someone on the team saying that the NE area (EDIT: island) would be an awesome spot for the map maker to put an incredible city spot. It's close such that maintenance won't be too bad. But it's a big enough pain to explore that many teams are likely to skip exploring it before they settle all 7 cites. It could also end up being what you'd normally find at the north pole of an Ice Age map (i.e. crap) but the fact that this is a hand-edited map gives me hope that it's something really good. At the end, it's a crap shoot though.

18. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

Wow, that’s a really good thing to know.

Maybe we should settle our cities far away so we can gather knowledge about the AI’s...

19. Mitchum

Mitchum Deity

I was asking about both. haha NW and NE.

20. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

Marble, for one, is often found up there. Plus, we can already see 4 forests, so it could be WT’s Nationoly Grail.