SGOTM1-Persia Team Samildanach

Status
Not open for further replies.
110BC Damn, who turned off "show enemy moves"!
An iroquois galley, spearman, and swordsman appear out of nowhere.
The galley seems to be moving south next to Philadelphia, The diplo screen with the iroquois still shows them with just 2 cities.
Settler moves back one square to found hamadan on incense in the old Zulu lands. (moved back so as to get bonus tiles under our control.)
Iron Pillaged and everyone building warriors. 1 of the galleys sunk from last turn. The only good news is no barbs have appeared.

90BC Damn again, I see a purple border on the island to the north, Diplo screen shows it as the Iroquois city of Allegheny. Galley with Immortal redirected north to deal with this. At most there is one defender since the galley can not carry more than 2 units. (one being a settler.) But I load up another immortal out of Philly just to be safe.
I take boston and discover a shortcut to washington. ETA there
drops by 1 turn.

70BC Time to throw away money.....
I establish an embassy with the americans, They have 3 spearmen in washington, and another due in 3 turns.
I investigate NYC, it has 2 spearmen, 1 warrior, 1 settler, and 23
turns to complete the collosus. I have to redirect my forces to
add one more unit to the NYC thrust since the unit in the Galley is
going after Allegheny. But, the good news is they have no offensive
capabilities. (except that warrior. hahahahahahahahahahahaha)

50BC [Pun Alert]
Niagra falls.
[/Pun Alert]

30BC Assault on Washington begins. 2 kills, should be 1 unit more.
When Niagra fell, the city was auto pillaged. Those foolish americans then sent the warrior and settler from NYC out to colonize the empty area. They ran straight into my Niagra liberation force. :D, I guess I didn't need that extra unit redirected to NYC after all.

10BC Here it comes......
NYC and washington fall. All workers join with cities to pump up
the population, and the final score is....
Xerces the magnificent with a fireaxis score of 6465.

And I still had one last settler out of our capital that I wanted to
place.

Nicely played. :)
I am away on business and may not be able to update the scores 'till tomorrow evening. Hope that's OK.

End Game thoughts.

I spent some time looking around the other forums. One comment out there was that this map was very suited to a 5CC challenge, which I would agree with. With a little foreknowledge (which there are some hints that others had) we could have tailored a quick win with the emperor scoring bonus. I wonder how this game would play with such information.

Each of us (including rock) played 3 rounds, and it took us 3 full weeks. On a larger map, or shooting for any of the longer turn victory conditions then this should be renamed SGOTS (succession game of the *Season* (3months))

There were completion dates of 290BC and 90BC, so we were not the fastest. But we have a lot of land under our control, so we may yet overtake some others depending on how Jason will rank us.

I was surprised that one team lost??? But looked again and I guess it was because they didn't evolve enough :D :D :D :D

Team Slinger won with a 1CC in 830AD. My hats off to them as that is a real challenge.

We did beat the Staff team to completion, and have a better fireaxis score, They seem to have found the same excellent cattle farm, city that we did.

Team Bugsy is at 710AD and the americans are planting cities *all* over the map. To knock out this enemy, "RowAndLive" will really have to live up to his name. :) I see at least another few centuries for that team to finish cleaning up.

Team Rocinate should have stayed with us, His completion date and final score would have been better, even if it meant he would not have had another chance to play a round. There is no thread forhim, so I do not know what went wrong on his invasion of the 2nd continent. Maybe he lost a lot of galleys at sea or something.

Most of the other teams saw the advantage of building the panama canal. But a big seperator on score will be how long it took people to find the 2nd island! Some teams will go very late into the AD years I think. I hope they have the patience for it. :p

There were several areas that we could have improved. The biggest being planning, and coordination. Each of us has different ways of obtaining goals. One example is that I was always shocked to see spearman on the map, or in the build queues. While I will sometimes build a defender or two, I am very focused on offense and will build almost exclusively offensive units In this case archers or horses over spearmen.

I also wonder if horsemen could have helped us any? But the Persian Immortal really rocks in the early years. We had almost no casualties from immortals (except those that did not know how to swim ;) ) so most of ours promoted to elite. Compared to the other units we met, we were equal on defense, and overwhelming on offense. Again this says with foreknowledge, the scenario was very well suited to Always War.

This game may have improved my play if I can just slow down and practice it. If about every 10 turns or so, I pause the game and do the in depth study like I was doing for the "back seat drivers report", that would help tremendously. The problem is trying not to get caught up in the "just one more turn" syndrome.

The 1 CC AW team was unlucky - they seemed to have gotten sneaked by the zulus.
We are not going to score that high since we do not have varient bonuses to be added in. Even so, I think we did the right thing by ending it as early as we could. In order to compete with Team Akots emperor bonus we would have had to have milked brilliantly and we probably still wouldn't have come anywhere near them.
The choice of the new core was excellent Hap. Well spotted:goodjob:

RowAndLive" will really have to live up to his name. I see at least another few centuries for that team to finish cleaning up.

:D RowAndLive - pity there are no squid in this GOTM.

We really needed one of the bonuses to be competitive - I think we showed above average warring skills including Roc and would have been just as quick if not quicker on that variant. Yes there were a few spearmen wondering about - I personally wouldn't have bothered with them. But the one at the start that Roc built did give me a sense of security especially when it got to the choke.

Nice play Haphazard and nice score, n'est-ce pas? :)
I liked your back seat driver's report during this game. :goodjob:

I don't think we should have built horsemen though as their offense is too low to consistently beat the spearmen defenders. About the spearmen, one in Parsagadae was from Samildanach (or even from Roc?) and the others by me, probably due the fact that I am playing a builder with short and limited wars normally. But I'll think about it, with only two small civs left, there was not really a point to building them.

BTW Why does Hap's post in the maintainance thread says we killed all the civs in 10BC and the save says 10AD?

The date says 10AD because I had to go one extra turn to get the final Fireaxis score.

Thanks guys, this was a fun game.

Sam, great idea about the squid :D, remember what I suggested about putting our own version of the SAV file in their next slot. :D Edit in a few squid just for fun. (But actually with the rampant barbs, which keep regenerating, those are probably worse.)

I am not nagging about the spearmen, was just noting a difference in how I play.

We do get the RBCiv scoring bonus, but then again, so does everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom