1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SGOTM3 Rome - Team Ankka

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession GOTM (SGOTM)' started by mad-bax, Jul 12, 2004.

1. EL_OSO

EL_OSO Warlord

I haven't started anything yet. Am I supposed to wait, play 7, 10 or 13 turns?
    I probably won't be able to get to this until tomorrow afternoon sometime so if Wackenopenair wants to play his remaining 3 turns, go for it.

If I see nothing has changed in 24 hours from now, I'll download the file and play 10 turns from where it is unless directed to otherwise.

2. Ankka

Ankka Deity

I think it would be fine to play 10 turns, it doesn't matter so much if the round doesn't end excactly on the turn it should... .:)

3. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir Deity

No, the turns when it is uploaded do not matter.
    Already early in the sgotm there were differences in upload dates between teams.

However since now EL_OSO states he wont play for 24 hours, i will play my remaining 3 turns and hope that makes jeff1787 and everyone happy.

I will complete this within a few hours.

4. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir Deity

Ok, so i did those 3 more turns:

turn7:
    -Trade Medicine from America for Industrialisation.
    -Sell Medicine to France for 280 gold + 31 gpt (where are they gonna get 31 gpt with only 1 city :confused: )
    -Sell Industry to germans for 1090 gold
    -Buy Electricity from Russia for Industrialisation + 960 gold
    -Get Nationalism from england for Electricity + Industrialisation

Research on replacable part at 80%, due in 9 turns. IMO this should be the last thing we research.

Turn8:
    -Upgrade most or all Musketmen to riffles this and next 2 turns.
    -Disband non elete obsolete Legionaires.
    -Sign peace again to stop war weariness and allow a 0% lux slider.

Turn9:
    Aztecs and Amerca sign alliance against us. No real danger here, only 1 aztec galley in the south.

Turn10:
    Sign peace with aztec, they throw in 25 gpt, i throw in Industrialisation.

As the realroad network is starting to grow into existence, i am moving almost all units northwards except for a few in the south eastern area where RR is still some decades away. When realroads are ready, cities don't need to be defended anymore, a small interception force can then use the RR to cover the whole empire.

Forces are now gathering to move to New York, but if it seems to hard, it is not so important to take it now already. We will soon have the ability to upgrade all our cannons to artillery. With those, we should be able to conquer any city on our continent, regardless its defence or underlaying terrain. Maybe you want to wait for that before attacking america (or any else) and make the troops move to one of our (northern) cities for upgrade by the time the research is done. Barracks can be rushbuilt for the upgrade the turn before the research is done.

I suggest relying on the artillery from here on. If there is anyone who never used it yet:
    the idea is to have some strong defenders, possibly an army with defensive units in a stack together with a large amount of artillery and a few offensive units. when moving trough enemy territory, the cavalry can move out of the stack to attack or take workers in adjacent squares, then move back into the stack where they are safe. When reaching a city, the artillery should first redline every single unit inside it before the cavalry attacks what remains of the units.
    It is important to keep the stack together and to have a decent sized stack. The units cannot be spread over the map to much. I think we can make a few of these stacks. A stack should contain for example 15-20 artillery + 5 defenders + 5 attackers.
    Obviously we have more than enough attackers to make some stacks, but only artillery and defenders for 2 or 3 now. Therefore i suggested making more of those. Lost or wounded units in the stack must be replaced or waited until they are healed.

5. EL_OSO

EL_OSO Warlord

Ok I got the save and I'll start beefing up the artillery and moving forces into position. If I have enough before the end of my turn sequences I'll attack America.

6. EL_OSO

EL_OSO Warlord

I was busy yesterday and didn't have a chance to look at it until today.

Ok something really awful just happened. I got the turn, pressed the space bar and Russia attacked us. They took Lyons and Nottingham. Animations are off on the file so I couldn't get an accurate count of how big of a force they invaded with but my best guess is between 10-20 Cossacks and some cannons.

Looking at our position, I'm not really sure how to deal with this problem. We lack RR infrastructure to counter attack or reinforce the other cities to the south of the two that Russia just took from us. Our units are a few turns away in moves.

To sum it up, these 10 turns are going to be long and painful.

I'm not comforable with leaving cities undefended. What just happened is a perfect example of why I'm not comfortable with it.

I've saved the game and am asking for some feedback on how to deal with this issue before I hand back a set of turns after losing a dozen or more cities.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to deal with this problem?

7. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir Deity

Oh :(
    well, i did check it out.

You see those cav's South-west of Elipi, those can reach Nothingham and attack it.
    After Nothing ham is retaken, they can also reach Lyons and the units from and around Orleans can reach Lyons as well.

The cosacks on open ground could be taken by the stack in the north on american ground or maybe others as well.

The main problem i think is gonna be gold and warweariness. As you see, there are quite some nations against us now.

btw, how do you guess 20 cossacks? i looked at the movement and only saw a few units moving in.

8. EL_OSO

EL_OSO Warlord

I'm old and wear glasses. I leave animations on when I play so I can see what's happening. When it goes by in a quick series of blurs I lose track of what is going on.

I'll see what I can do here.

9. EL_OSO

EL_OSO Warlord

Turn 0: 1100 AD Turn Received. Greece and America signed a trade embargo against us.

England and America have signed a trade embargo against us. Trade Ebur for Ferrum to

Japan. Russia performs a deadly sneak attack and takes two of our cities; Lyons and

Nottingham.

Turn 1: 1110 AD Did not have enough movement to retake the cities lost. Russia had a MPP

with England and Germany. India signs a trade embargo against us.

Turn 2: 1120 AD Took Lyons and Nottingham back. Lots of cities start to riot. I put a

clown in each one with problems. Japan breaks the trade deal with us and signs a trade

embargo with Germany.

Turn 3: 1130 AD Picked off enemy units in the open but haven't resumed the offensive yet.

England offers peace; won't offer any concessions but I take it. More of our cities start

to riot.

Turn 4: 1140 AD Nothing of interest

Turn 5: 1150 AD Iroquois signed a trade embargo against us.

Turn 6: 1160 AD We have Replacebable Parts now. Nottingham had rubber which explains the

Russian attack. I set research for Scientific method but at 0%. I move the luxury slider

up to 20% to help deal with the rioting cities. Micromanaged a couple of cities to have

scientists working. I upgraded 10 cannons to artillery. I move an assault force in place

to ready to move on Minsk.

Turn 7: 1170 AD Thermoplyae flipped to the greeks. Nothing else exciting.

Turn 8: 1180 AD Just worked on RR. France signed a military alliance against us. Signed

peace with America.

Turn 9: 1190 AD Upgraded more cannons. Most of our cities are connected via RR. Just a

few left from the ones conquered from Greece.

Turn 10: 1200 AD Move a giant force towards minsk. Eliminated a German thrust on Orleans.

One or two cities left to connect.

Score is: 1826

http://gotm.civfanatics.net/saves/sgotm3/Ankka_SG003_AD1200_01.SAV

10. Ankka

Ankka Deity

WackenOpenAir
    shoe35
    EL OSO
    Jeff1787 - UP!
    waitingtoderail - on deck
    Ankka

11. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir Deity

Since we are at war with the world now anyway, i think we can stop worrying about reputation.
    I suggest taking that greek city back regardles of us having deals or not, if the greek city has squares in one of our cities radius, it increases the chance of other cities flipping.

Also can we ask for stuf in peace deals and then attack again if we dont care about rep.

Nice to see RR about ready and artilleries upgraded :D :goodjob:
    Hopefully jef can take a lot of stuff with the arties :p

Just looked at the file, i see the stack with arties contains a lot of cavalry but no rifles. Please add a few rifles to the stack before moving, those are important to protect the cav's and arties.

12. Jeff1787

Jeff1787 Sarge

I'll play within 24 hours or so, I hope I don't screw this up!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused:

13. EL_OSO

EL_OSO Warlord

Make em all pay for defying Rome! Burn their cities to the ground! :mischief:

14. Jeff1787

Jeff1787 Sarge

WackenOpenAir
    shoe35
    EL OSO
    Jeff1787 - just played
    waitingtoderail - UP
    Ankka - on deck

Turn 1...1210 AD...England declared war on us.

Turn 2...1220 AD...Preparing to attack Russia.

Turn 3...1230 AD...Captured Coventry from the English.

Turn 4...1240 AD...France gave us peace and 5 gold.

Turn 5...1250 AD...Coventry flepped back to the English. Signed a peace treaty with England and they gave us 60 gold. Iroquois declared war on us. Founded Ceasaraugusta. Captured Minsk from Russia. Made peace with Japan.

Turn 6...1255 AD...Athens and Rhodes flipped to the Greeks. Made peace with Russia. Founded Palmyra. Captured back Athens and Rhodes and also captured Thermopylae.

Turn 7...1260 AD...Minsk flipped to the Germans but we captured it back. Founded Jerusalum east of Minsk. Made peace with Germany. They gave 50 gold and 8 gpt.

Turn 8...1265 AD...Captured Troy from the Greeks.

Turn 9...1270 AD...Nothing.

Turn 10...1275 AD...Troy flipped back to the Greeks. Captured Troy back. Traded sanitation to France for 125 gold.

Please some comments.

Our score is 1981.

Here is the save.

15. EL_OSO

EL_OSO Warlord

With all of these flipping problems wouldn't it be better to raze the enemy cities and plant a new settler?

From my experience, the larger cities are harder to control and are just as productive as a newly founded city.

16. waitingtoderail

waitingtoderail Chieftain

http://gotm.civfanatics.net/saves/sgotm3/Ankka_SG003_AD1325_01.SAV

For some reason, I can't get myself to write down what turns I do everything in, so here's the highlights of my turns:

Several countries began working on wonder - Theory of Evolution
    NO ONE will trade anything.
    I capture 2 Greek cities - Gozumonum which I keep and Marathon, which I raze. Very close to destroying the capital, the rest of the cities should drop like flies.
    I reaffirm our peace treaty with Aztecs who demand suffimentum on the next turn. I refuse, they declare war.
    The Russians destroy the French.
    Make peace with Iroquois and get 31 gold.
    Found the city of Caesarea.
    I don't attack any countries with whom we have active peace treaties. However, I've amassed a large number of artillery in London (I know, it's dangerous for flipping, so the next person should attack England pretty quickly - or temporarily move them to a less dangerous position - I only realized that as I write this - preferably ASAP).
    Babylon declares war on Russia.

Anyway, good luck to the next guy. My turns were relatively quiet due to the active peace treaties. These will be ending soon and we should go on an all out assault to take the remainder of the continent soon.

17. Ankka

Ankka Deity

Ok...

WackenOpenAir - UP!
    shoe35 - on deck
    EL OSO
    Jeff1787
    waitingtoderail

18. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir Deity

You don't play anymore anka ?

19. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir Deity

Ok, starting:

hmm, we are falling back in science. We don't have an income to get money for stealing.

First thing, an income needs to be created.
    I move the happiness slider down to 10%.
    Clowns are needed mostly in cities that are size 12 already anyway and foreign cities that are so corrupt, growth wont benefit them. (except for score). Only a few have negative impact on production.
    Also am i making a few marketplaces in cities that can benefit from the happines. (and are worth an investment)

309 gpt now.

Our science goal should now be Robotics for radar artillery, getting Computers for mech inf and Motorized for tanks on the road there.

I don't think we need to build any hospitals, there are no workable tiles for larger cities anyway.

Time to think about millitairy. The railroad system is complete now.
    Since any unit can be anywhere now, instead of looking at the map, i look at the millitairy advisor and see:
    -3 musketmen.
    -19 riflemen
    -78 cavalry
    -20 infantry
    -5 cannons
    -61 artillery
    -2 galeon
    -2 army

My PC screws over and doesn't allow my mouse to select anything after swiching with the forum too much. It does take enter though, so i go to the next turn. Not much more important to do anyway. Next turn my mouse works again so turn1:

All obsoleet units are upgraded, making 41 infantry and 69 artillery.

It will be a while before the AI is gonna have tanks, so with 10 defence infantry(and def bonusses) against 6 attack cavalry, i think 2 defenders per border city will be enough. If they get trough, the rr will allow us to retake it in a second anyway.
    I move 2 defenders to each city that could be attacked within 1 turn.
    I take 25 artillery and 25 cavalry in a stack together who will stay on the railway network for defence.

The remaining 19 infantry, 35 artillery and 36 cavalry are for attack.
    I make 2 stacks of these units. when more artillery is produced, a third could be made.

I conquer Thessalonica.

Turn2:
    The upgraded units are ready to join the stacks now. I feel its time to move out and attack with them.
    I need an opponent who can give me tech in peace negotiations.
    Most deals will expire within 5 turns, but with france and babylon, we don't have any deal at all, so i declare and one stack movers towards new york.

The other stack moves for Nineveh. My plan is to move the Nineveh stack trough Sevestapool, Babylon and Ur. The New York stack can meanwhile move trough Ashur to Washington and Philadelphia

Unfortunately, lux now needs to go back up so we get only 180 gpt. Well, let's hope we can get some for peace.

I sign peace with the aztecs. We wont be able to attack them soon and without attacking them, they wont pay us techs anyway. Right now, they don't even want to pay 1 gold.

Turn 3:
    japan declared on me for their mutual protection with Babylon.

Need a break now.

20. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir Deity

Turn3:
    I conquer Eritrea. Then sign peace with Greece and get Artesium and Miletos from them. They are down to one city. I did sign peace because Miletos is at some distand and seperated from us by russian cities. This way we will get it easilly.

Turn4:
    haha, greece offers us a mutual protection pact if we pay him 48 gpt. :D

I take now york (defended 3 conscript infantry) and Nineveh (rifle and infantry) easilly and without losses.

Turn5:
    I had to cross one tile of english border to get to Ashur. England gives me the choise to leave or war. Since i can take england anyway, and i don't want to leave, i choose war. All english cities start to riot, no problem, soon there won't be any england anymore.
    One city on the main continent flips back to greece. I redeclare on greece and plan to whipe them within a few turns.

First, the interception force moves out to retake delphi. Delphi is retaken.
    The remainder of the interception force moves to take Coventry. Coventry is connected by railway and the artillery can bomb it from our territory, so no problem taking it while still maintaining the defensive opportunities.
    Taking coventry unfortunately costed me some cav's, but we have it now.

I conquer Sevastapol
    I sell granaries in cities that are size 12 already.

While we are taking our continent, India is taking his continent.

Turn 6:
    The last greek city is conquered, their settler tries to escape but is captured. The greek are no more.

Conquer Ashur.

Need another break.