SGOTM3 Rome - Team Ankka

Oh you play, i thought in mad bax post stood i play after waiting.
Just go and play, i didnt play any turns yet, only looked at the situation.

So i'll be waiting till you are done.

And waitingtoderail, yes i think we are doing pretty reasonable alltogether.

Ok then :).

After starting some aquaducts, disbanding some warriors and increasing science spendings, i look at the opportunities for war.
Knights (attack 4) against Hopplites (defence 3) is not good for us, we would lose too many knights attacking greece now.
Other nations cannot be attacked because of the 20 turn deals we have with them. Except for babylon, but those are too far away too attack.

Before attacking greece, Cavalry or a large amount of bombardment units are needed. The knights we have and are being produced can be upgraded when MT is researched. That should make a decent cavalry army.

I am not gonna make any 20 turn deals with england and france unless they are extremely good ones. I want them to be available for destruction.

The Island on the right indeed looks like just a stretch that seperates the map. Also, there are mountains on the right side of it so that cities cannot be build on its border.
We were supposed to cross the ocean on the other side of the map with scuicide galleys. Our galley has moved all around the map, but it would have been better if it'd tried to cross the map when passing the western most point of our island. I will now move the galley with settler we have on the eastern side completely around the island.

turn1: Leo's is built, i must change to Bach's.

I swich to temple in Seattle so that its borders can grow to include the irrigated grasslands. Else it cannot grow past size 2.

turn3: Well, england pays me 40 gpt + 94 gold for printing press. The deal is good enough for me to take it and not go to war within 20 turns. (only 5 more than the longest standing deal with them)
France is also willing to pay gpt, but with the 13 gpt they offer, i think i rather destroy them when in 5 turns our current deals expire.
It would be prefered to have the germands ally against france and hope for them to conquer the single city on the other island.

Turn5: I am moving all knights to paris and start a barracks there to upgrade the knights to cavalry. From there we can remove France from our island.

Some AI have navigation. It would be nice to trade it before attempting to cross the ocean with our caravel or maybe we can get it for peace with france (after we started war with them)

Last turn Phisics was too expensive because only Russia had it and Navigation was only available for gold. I did not buy navigation because it looks like even that would not be enough to get physics and no other trades can be made with it.

Rome cannot complete any wonder. It has to lose 300 ! shields swiching to University. Never build wonders in your capital, you must have palace as a backup.

Cavalry is ready for attack. Declare before entering french territory in order to save reputation.

We have a slight problem on technology. I am unsure on what to research now. It stands at phisics now, but no research is done for that yet, so you can change it to something else without losing anything. If anyone can say which of the now available techs is least researched by the AI, we could go for that and hope to trade it for physics rather than waste time researching a tech the AI already has.

The caravel with settler and knight is supposed to cross the ocean. Remember, navigation alows it to travel the ocean without danger. I did not buy navigation yet because traveling that ocean is the only use for it (no trading opportunities with it) so we can buy it when the caravel gets there or wait for a better trade opportunity to get it. (Would be nice if the tech we are gonna research will get us both physics and navigation)

Did you finish your turns?

Seems like you did.

Ok... who's up then.

WackenOpenAir
shoe35 - up
EL OSO - on deck
Jeff1787 - just played
waitingtoderail
Ankka

Didn't you swap turn orders with WackenOpenAir? If so, that means you're up unless you plan on skipping which means Shoe will play.

yeap, I was planning on skipping myself due to the starting of school, other SG turns...

Here is the save.
found the other cont. and 4 more civs.

http://gotm.civfanatics.net/saves/sgotm3/Ankka_SG003_AD0700_01.SAV

600AD Turn0: Put idle workers to work

IBT English building Magellan’s Voyage. Russians finish Magellan’s Voyage

610AD Turn1: Declare war on France, Take Tours, lose a cavalry to a spear, promote cavalry to elite unharmed. Take Orleans promote two cavs to elite. Set up for attack on Rheims. Eliminate lone swordsmen and archer.

IBT Syracuse Forum -> University.

620AD Turn2: Take over of Rheims, capture Leonardo’s Workshop. Prepare for offensive against Marsalles.

630AD Turn3: Take over Marsalles, acquire a GL. Plan to rush Adam Smiths ASAP. Switch science to econ. Will switch back to Physics after Econ.

640AD Turn4: Capture Lyons, starving several French Towns, need to get Nav soon.

IBT Brundisium Aqueduct -> Port

650AD Turn5: Reposition for offensive against Liz. Give peace to Joan for Navigation, 30 gold, and a worker.

IBT Lutetia Port -> coastal fortress

660AD Turn6: establish contact with Aztecs, Trade WM, contact with Greece, Russia for TM, 40 gold, contact with India, Irquois, and Japan. Trade Contact with Iroquois to Russia for WM and 50 gold; Trade contact with Iroquois and India to Russia for 110 gold and WM. Trade contact with the Greeks to Japan for 20gold 6 gpt and WM.

IBT Seattle Temple -> Forum

670AD Turn7: Rush Smith’s in Rome

680AD Turn8: Yawn

690AD Turn9: same

700AD Turn10: same

Score 1124

Nice job. :)

WackenOpenAir
shoe35 - just played
EL OSO - UP!
Jeff1787 - on deck
waitingtoderail
Ankka

Ok I got the turn! Any thoughts before I proceed? It looks like I'm the peacetime commander again unless you guys don't mind a reputation hit.

Ok, i took a short look at the save file:

Nice to see France removed so fast.

I also see we have a nice army, i think we can destroy the english when the 20 turn deal expires in 4 turns. In fact, i think we have the power to conquer much of our continent.

Also do i see one thing that is against my playing principles.
i see both banks and universities being build.
IMO, in civ you need to make choise. To research or not to research. If you choose not to go research, you just maximise your gold income, trade techs, sell techs, buy techs, conquer techs and steal techs.

I don't care what we do, but as i explain, i think a choise needs to be made.

Also do we stand at a point where we can focus on our (domination) victory.
It is possible to stop all research, go all out war and decimate our opponents one by one. It seems like france was easy, and england will probably be so as well. I personally don't feel a hurry conquering greece though, they have some cities on hills and probably many (since they are old and cheap) good defenders. I prefer leaving them for a while. I think conquering our own continent is almost within reach.

There are also some possibilities for gpt deals, but if we choose to start dominating the world, be carefull whom you trade to. We might want to destroy 2 or 3 more civs withing 20 turns.

England is only 4 more turns, i think you can DESTROY them, or at least some of them in those 6 turns :D

Also, keep in mind our future conquests, expect at most 10 turns per civ, moving up northwards. Would be nice if you don't make 20 turn deals with the civs we will meet if we move northwards with a speed of 10 turns per civ.

As for the reputation, there is a point where we should drop it and just abuse our oppenents by getting techs for peace only to destroy them the turn after, but i think it's a little too early for that.
Before doing that, i would like to wait until we have good prospect of conquering the other content. At this point, that is not yet the case.

Ok, I'll focus on moving the army towards England to pounce on them as soon as peace expires. :D

What causes a rep hit? It seems that I get them all the time in my own games and I just end up playing an evil totalitarian.

Some of the obvious are breaking 20 turn deals. Sometimes they're caused by being in a MPP with too many civs and you're forced to attack one of them.

Does moving your forces through their territory without a RoP create one too?

thanks,

el oso

EL_OSO said:
Does moving your forces through their territory without a RoP create one too?
el oso

Not if you dont attack them. Just make sure there are no units in its territory when you declare.

Just dont go into MPP's at all, ever.

also, see the difference between reputation and attitude. The AI may hate you, but that is less important. Its your reputation that decides if you get gpt deals.

About attitude there is an article:
http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3acad_ai_attitude.shtml

What if they ask you to leave and there isn't a <move automatically option> and you just click the "That's it, goodbye" option instead of promising to move your forces?

EL_OSO said:
What if they ask you to leave and there isn't a <move automatically option> and you just click the "That's it, goodbye" option instead of promising to move your forces?

I don't think that is a problem. I always just promise to move them :)

I don't think it makes a difference. If it would, someone would have sai about it somewhere.

Top Bottom