1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SGOTM3 Rome - Team Ankka

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession GOTM (SGOTM)' started by mad-bax, Jul 12, 2004.

1. waitingtoderail

waitingtoderail Chieftain

Ankka, I sent you a PM, please read ASAP.

2. EL_OSO

EL_OSO Warlord

I'm back up and running (somewhat). At least Civ and the expansions are installed and working.

3. Ankka

Ankka Deity

No problem, waitingtoderail, just replay the turns. :)

also Wacken did a mistake on this, remember...

4. waitingtoderail

OK, well, what happened is that I didn't realize that you couldn't play in C3C. I mean, I knew it was a game set up in PTW, but I thought as long as it was set up under the rules of PTW, you could play it in C3C. ANyway, I've replayed the turns, I made one change and that was to put the first city where I actually intended. I did finish Lit a turn earlier and was able to trade it for most of the available techs, but a couple of AIs wouldn't trade for it. Anyway, my apologies.

Attached Files:

• pic1.JPG
      pic1.JPG
      File size:
      183.7 KB
      Views:
  5. waitingtoderail

Here's the score - We're pulling up the rear.

Attached Files:

• pic2.JPG
      pic2.JPG
      File size:
      134.2 KB
      Views:
  6. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir Deity

k, nice, indeed i made that mistake as well :)

Don't worry about being lowest in score, thats normal. In sid games, its even normal to have only one third of the score of the leading civ at this time, and that is no raeason to worry.

I don't even worry about being lowest in score compared to the other teams :D

I hope i can play my turns before the weekend, cuz i wont be there in the weekend. If i don't get to do them before the weekend, feel free to swich my place with someone else rather than waiting 2 days.

I will NOT be present between aproximately friday 20:00 and sunday 22:00 west european time (+01 GMT)

7. Ankka

Ankka Deity

Do you want to play now and have a swap with me, Wacken? I could play after you, so you got to play your turns. :)

8. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir Deity

Ok, i will :)

9. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir Deity

K starting: I am in doubt if its a good idea to research math since we certainly wont be able to trade anything with it. Besides math, the only thing we will want is republic. I would think about doing a 10% on republic now so we can use that to trade math and the other needed techs. On the other hand, the AI would beat us at republic most likely anyway. So well, i am not sure what i would have done, but you started math so math it is. May be the right decision, may be the wrong decision, i am not sure. (But i just post all my thoughts) Lets hope it will work out ok (work out ok means we want to beat the AI at researching either construction or currency) The disadvantage is, i don't expect to get republic now for quite a while.

I trade map making and world map from america for poly and code. (chose america because most likely they have more info on their world map than greece)

Swiching to workers in Neapolis and Pompeii (sorry for swiching productions, but workers are the life and blood of a civ nation) The worker near Neapolis builds a road around the hills because roading 2 grass tiles takes just as long as the hills and the hills wont be used for a long time (until grasslands can make 3 food)

First settler produced moves up north because the north is the most likely to be taken by AI.

The scouting warrior in the south moves back to Pompeii.
    The scouting warrior in the far north is fortified on a mountain because trading maps revealed everything around there anyway. he can be disbanded as soon as enemy territory grows over him or when we start paying upkeep.

I sell our world map to england and babylon for 20 and 15 gold respectively alowing us to run on a deficit for a while and speeding up the research on math.

neapolis starts granary after worker.

Cumea starts worker after barracks, then granary.

Antium starts granary after archer.

Veii starts barrack after granary. (or do we say armamanetarium after granarium?)

England has beaten us at math by 4 turns, this is not so much of a problem since we cant trade it anyway as long as we get either currency or construction to trade with.

The french demand our territory map and 13 gold, so i pay them.

Veii starts legionairy after barracks, although i would not like an early golden age and thus want to prevent war until we are republic, if we are forced into a war, i guess we better have something that wins that war. Legions are so much better for cost than anything else we can get.

Pompeii starts barracks after worker

END OF TURNS

for the near future i suggest immeadiately taking the plains in the north west before france does so. After that, south and southwestern penensula's.

Oh yeah, the AI also completed some wonders during my turns, oracle and collosus, not very interesting IMO, we only need to take care who will get the GL, so we trade techs to that civ first (cuz else they would get it free anyway)

Math ready next turn !
    (be sure to move up the slider again, i set it to minimum to finish math in this turn)

Have fun guys.

http://gotm.civfanatics.net/saves/sgotm3/Ankka_SG003_BC1225_01.SAV

PS: look at the graph with all teams in it, we aint doing too bad.

10. Ankka

Ankka Deity

Ok... I will play today or tomorrow.

11. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir Deity

Oh just think of one thing. the granary in cumea could pretty well be changed to legions since it will have 4 surrplus when the game is cut and irrigated.
    Only if you want to make it a worker factory, a granary would be needed.

As it is now, it could only help to start using the hills that provide less food, so that is still an option (since we probably want a granary there someday anyway, when it is bigger) But i see you guys are more into units than granaries, so that is the right city to make legions.

Sorry for making the mistake, my mind was not so clear while playing :)

12. Ankka

Ankka Deity

Playing finally.

13. Ankka

Ankka Deity

1225BC [Preturn]: Switch Cumae from granary to Legion.
    Lux up 10% to avoid Veii from rioting.

IBT: We research Maths > Currency, sci rate up to 70%.

We can build the Forbidden Palace. Where should we?

1200BC [1]: :sleep:

IBT: Oops, forgot to trade Maths around, and Cathy demands it. I refuse.

She declares war.

1175BC [2]: Maths to Joan for WM + 45 gold.

To Hammi for 52 gold + WM.

Everyone else is bankrupt.

1150BC [2] - 1025BC [6]: Two battles in the North where we lose our warrior but kill a Russian one. Russia has swordsmen.

1000BC [7]: Found Hispalis > Warrior.

975BC [8] - 925BC [10]: :sleep:

Some notes:

Veii can build Legionaries in 5 turns. Could be 4, with some additional mining. Remember to use the Iron hills when Rome doesn't.

14. Ankka

Ankka Deity

15. Ankka

Ankka Deity

WackenOpenAir - swap with Ankka
    shoe35 - UP! :)
    EL OSO - on deck
    Jeff1787 - just played
    waitingtoderail - just played
    Ankka - just played

16. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir Deity

Russia is pretty far away iirc, i guess we wont be taking its cities, so in that way the war wont pay us anything. I just a few russian units will reach us, could we please kill them with archers until we are republic?

Usually i wouldnt sell math for such a small amounts of gold because i rather make the chance to be first at currency as big as possible. Currency or construction gives us chance to trade republic which is 2847238x more important than these amounts of gold, therefore i would most likely have sold or even given code of laws and phylosophy to those who dont have it, in order to enlarge the chance they will research republic.

Espescially since we are expanding to the north, we should take care and make sure we dont found any undefended cities anymore. I just really would hate to get a despotic GA over this little war though, so i'd prefer to make peace as soon as possible, even if we have to pay a bit for it

17. Ankka

Ankka Deity

I'm sorry about those tech deals, but we weren't the first to have maths, so I thought I'd sell them before the AI trades them...

Sorry if I messed up. I wasn't just really keen in someone else also wanting Maths, like Russia did.

18. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir Deity

I'm not saying you messed up at all, just saying some things i would have done different :D. Which obviously doesn't even mean that has to be better.

19. Ankka

Ankka Deity

Yeah, but I'm sure I did mess something up. Or not. Whatever.

Shoe? You're up...!

20. Shoe35

Shoe35 Chieftain

Just getting back from out of town

got it