SGOTM3 Rome - Team Ankka

DAMN, i was typing everything while i was playing but closed my explorer and thus lost all my text when some anoying girl started talking to me over msn and i tried to close it with alt f4 :(.

So i lost info on the first 4 turns. I will now keep it short:

I conquered Corinth without losses, there was only 1 defender.
Got a golden age. Other group of units is moving towards paris.
Corinth group is moving on for the nxt luxury, but one legion was killed by a swordsmen on the way. remaining 2 legions and an archer are gonna try taking it.

I produced about 8 workers, and am now building marketplaces and granaries in most cities. Also 2 libraries.

Rome made its last settler for now, it started a marketplace after that. Enough settlers for now.

Sorry for the delay, but i just went out to have a drink, gotta work tomorrow, too tired to finish my turns now. I will do so tomorrow when i get home from work. Expect my upload around 1900 (+1 GMT) friday.

Ok, i Finished my turns.

Sorry i do not have a detailed timeline.

Economic growth:
After a bunch of workers, i started investing in a good future by building markets, granaries and libraries.
I set science to 0 with the prospect of conquering the GL, so there is quite some gold in cash now and a nice gpt income. Looks are decieving though, everything is not as good as it looks. most of this is caused by the GA. be prepared for it to end in about 10/11 turns. From that time on, the city improvements should be profitable enough to provide a stable economy.

Conquest:
Sorry, after starting war with both greece and france, i am already back to peace with both again. Sorry for doing all the war guys, i know you are eager to fight :mischief:

From greece, i was just able to have both of their luxuries. After Corinth was easy, Sparta was just barely taken. The last attacking unit had one hp left. With one guy that came behind and became elite by taking an archer on his way down, i took Pharsalos (that leet guy attacked 2 turns and killed 2 defenders all by himself :goodjob: )

We need to prevent losing them to culture now, i stated some temples, but only rushed it last turn in sparta. I did so in spart because that has the highest risk and it contains a luxury.In the others i am not too sure as what to actually build yet, the temples are kinda just placeholders for now, just change around productions in them when you want.

At the end of my turns, i also bought a luxury for a tech America. We have a total of 5 luxuries now. The lux slider is down to 0, and there are many happy people to provide us score points. :p

For peace, i wanted one thing: a city on the other island. When i saw a barbarian moving close to it, i rushed a defender. I demanded that city because it will give us a place from where we can now start scouting for the other civ's and because later on, it will provide us a landing place for our forces when we will conquer that island. :rockon: (my favorite smiley)
I think it is worth it to rush a few barbarians (after producing one shield normally) for scouting. Unfortunately we dont have horses there.

Paris:
paris runs a big risk to culture flip. I do not yet want to give up hope though. there are no foreign tiles in its radius. I think there is a chance we can keep it.
For this however, we need to starve it to size one and maybe rush a temple inside of it to keep away the foreign borders. Temple is optionally and depends on the plans with Paris:

We could give away Paris just before the discovery of education (so after the discovery of Theorlogy that is). Then we could retake it later on if we happen to drop behing in technology (in this case we should never research education though) If we do this, i wouldn't do any investments like a temple in Paris.
The other option is to just keep Paris and handle it like one of our own. I know many people see the retaking thing as cheating, i think the GOTM rules do not forbid it, and i myself am neutral in this. So i will leave this choise open to you guys.

Anyway, be sure to check Paris every turn from now. Put some units inside it, and make sure there will never be any of the laborers working a tile. Just make them all taxmen or something so the city will starve.

Science:
This depends on what happens to Paris. If we are gonna keep Paris (either short or permanent) I think it is good to set science to 0 for a while now. It will give us a good cash flow while we get our techs anyway, and later on, the cash can be used to research and get ahead of the others with science at 100%.

If we happen to lose Paris to a culture flip however, we need to start researching ourselves now at full power. :scan:

I chose to set science to 0 now and what out a while to see what is gonna happen to Paris. It wont hurt us whatever happens because the cast we are making now can always be brought back to science by researching at 100%.

So if things go well with Paris, just keep science at 0 until either the GL becomes obsolete or until we are so filthy rich we have no idea what to do with all that money. :p

It is important from now on to try get gpt for our techs. We should check all our opponents for gpt availability every turn. This not only to enhance our income, but also to cripple their income, science and ability to trade with others. [pimp]

Militairy:
After losing some warriors and not producing any units for 20 turns, we are still Strong compared to all civ's except Rusia (Average). So there is no big hurry to start producing units again. but the unit production can gradually be restarted again. :ar15:

Depending on what happens to Paris; if Paris does not flip, we can be filthy rich by keeping our science at 0 for a while more. We could use this money by now (after the city improvements are comlete) producing horsemen and upgrading them to knights later on. If we lose it, we should be carefull spending money on upgrading.

City Production:
I started producing workers until i had a decent number. We also gained some foreign workers. From now on just keep building some more ocasionally. After that, i started producing City improvements as they are a good investment for the future and should get our economy back online. It looks very prosperous at this moment, but don't forget that will change when the golden age ends. :cry:

I suggest building a library and market in all of our good cities. They are pretty busy doing so. After those are done, units can be produced again. Barracks should be present in most of them, but be sure to check for it when you start building units again.

Do not forget to build aquaducts in time where they are needed, antium started one already, be sure to finish them in other cities where needed before they get size 7.

In the border cities that are more corrupt, i did not start barracks. They can build trebuchets instead of normal millitairy units and not need a barracks. Also did i not start markets there, but a library could be done for expanding the cultural borders. (and defending against possible cultural influence)

Would be nice if everyone gives his oppinion on the Paris issue.

Hope i siad everything i wanted to say. My mind is pretty chaotic sometimes so i might say things double and forget about others :D

http://gotm.civfanatics.net/saves/sgotm3/Ankka_SG003_BC0050_01.SAV

Oh and just after saving and uploading, i noticed i am producing a Legionary again. This does not mean i think no marketplaces and libraries are needed anymore, i would have changed it if i hadn't saved and oploaded already.

Of course, feel free to build some units here and there, but please keep building the needed city improvements as well.

Oh a little detail about the workers. I started some irrigations, some are for direct use, others are to bring water to remote cities (in the north espescially). My goal is to have enough irrigated to have the cities work their hill tiles while still maintaining a 2 or more (preferably more) surplus.

Ok it looks like I'm back in action. So this means I won't have to skip the next turn.

Oh by the way, another note.

I just am reading about the differences for ptw. I never played ptw, so dont know, but it seems the FP works like in the old days and it can make a second good area?
In that case, i started it at the wrong place, and the build queue should be changed. I started it there with my c3c experience in mind.

Also, does city ring placement still work in the ptw we are playing? Would be a shame if it does and we did not make use of it :(

Ring of Placement does apply and yes it is a shame we will have to deal with it.

Nice analysis and turns, Wacken... gotta read those better a little later. :)

I'm back.

Is everyone still alive?
Is it known who will play next?

well anyway, i'll be ging in 3 hours now, so see ya all next week :D

Wacken !!!

:rockon: :beer: :band: [party] :viking:

Okay, bye, Wacken. Have fun in your funny simulation thingy about something called Real Life. ;) :)

I think Shoe is playing now. :)

Turn 0 50BC: decided to try to save Paris. Moving, set idle workers to upgrade worked city tiles.

IBT Sparta Temple-> Harbor; Rome Market -> Library; Herakleia Spear -> Harbor: Americans are building Art of War

Turn 1 30BC: Moving. Upgrading worked tiles; Check trades nothing worth doing.

IBT acquired Invention; Hispilis Granary -> Library; Viroconium Galley -> Galley; French are building Leonardo’s Workshop.

Turn 2 10BC: Ditto

IBT Paris Market-> Library; Cumae Library->Market; Ravenna Library->Market; Lutetia Granary->Library

Turn 3 10AD: Ditto

IBT Sparta Harbor->Market; Veii Library -> Legionary; Neapolis Library-> Legionary; Herakila Harbor->Pike

Turn 4 30AD: decide to hurry library in Paris; WM to all for 42 gold and maps

IBT Germany building Leonardo’s workshop

Turn 5 50AD: Paris Library -> Worker; Hire clown in Cumae and Brundisium; hurry market in Cumae

IBT we get Theology; Cumae Market -> Court; Viroconium Galley-> Market

Turn 6 70AD: upgrading.

IBT we get Chivalry; Antium Aqueduct->Market; Russia and Germany building Sistine chapel

Turn 7 90AD: Neapolis Legionary -> court (not sure about this so feel free to change)

IBT Rome Library->Sun Tzu’s(didn’t know what to do here); we lost Pharsolas to the Greeks via culture flip

Turn 8 110AD: upgrades to tiles; Theology to France for WM, 3gold, 10 gpt; monotheism to Greece for WM and 20gold; Chivalry to Russia for WM, 30 gold, 3gpt, velieris?; Bombyx to Germany for WM, 5 gold, 4gpt

IBT Veii temple->Legionary; Greeks building Sun Tzu’s;

Turn 9&10 lost power after saving the game but before saving this log.

Score 602

http://gotm.civfanatics.net/saves/sgotm3/Ankka_SG003_AD0150_01.SAV

FYI-I won't be able to play my turns until Saturday......so skip me if you don't want to wait....Thanks

Turn Log:

Turn 0: 150 AD Assigned some worker tasks; otherwise uneventful.

Turn 1: 170 AD Same as above. GA ended.

Turn 2: 190 AD Same as above.

Turn 3: 210 AD Same as above. I'm continuing with city

improvements for now.

Turn 4: 230 AD Same as above.

Turn 5: 250 AD Made some luxury trades with Germany, Russia, and

England for gpt.

Turn 6: 260 AD Two of our England and Germany have Education. That

means our Great Library will soon disappear. We have a tech lead

on most of the other civs right now, but they don't have enough

gold worthy of trading.

Turn 7: 270 AD The Great Library is obsolete. We were set on

gunpowder and I decided to leave it at that tech and bumped the

rate up to 90%. I traded Education to the Russians for 30 gp and 6

gpt. We have 2675 gp at the moment, the net effect is -50 gpt for

the tech in 5 turns.

Turn 8: 280 AD Traded Theology to the Americans for 40 gp and 4

gpt. Checked science slider and left it at 90% for the moment.

Turn 9: 290 AD Nothing eventful.

Turn 10: 300 AD Traded Iron to the Americans for 40 gp and 2 gpt.

Left the slider where it was since it wasn't providing a benefit

to lower it. We lost Gems from America, but they wanted Chivalry

and Iron for them so I went for the gpt instead of the tech trade.

Our score is 705 at this point.

Download the save: http://gotm.civfanatics.net/saves/sgotm3/Ankka_SG003_AD0300_01.SAV

I can't play till the weekend either, so if ankka wants to play tomorrow, go ahead, then jeff can go saturday and I'll follow...I think that's the order..

Top Bottom