SGOTM3 Rome - Team Bugsy

I'm sorry guys, RL has been chock full and the best of intentions haven't gotten me there. Bugs, please swap. I'll play after you. :sad:

Sorry team, I didn't get this done today. First day back to work from a week off and I didn't get a lunch break :rolleyes:

Here are the results from the first two turns. I think we're losing the attrition race.

Pre-flight – Ouch! We’re hurting! Time to put on the fight like a mad dog hat. Let’s hope we’re not the Yorkie against a Great Dane. I leave the sliders where they are for the time being so we can upgrade some cats.

We have some very unhappy people. Lux up 10% and MM a few cities.

IBT – Kill a Yank cav, lose a knight. Lose a legion to a French cav, kill a French cav. (2-2)

1. 1615 AD – 5th Knights kill a Yank cav. Found Aesonesium just SE of Antium to fill the gap. Kill another Yank cav. Bat about 50% with artillery. Upgrade three cats. (4-2)

IBT – Kill a yank cav with an elite knight (redlined) and get a leader. Will it last? It does, but…

@ Aesonesium – Kill a Yank cav, kill two cossocks, lose a legion, lose another legion, kill an English infantry, the last legion dies to an English infantry and the city autorazes.

Watch a French frigate attack an Aztec caravel and sink, a second French frigate finishes off the Aztecs. Nice of Joanie to help us out like that.

Lose a musket at Veii. Kill two French cavs at Augustdorum. (11-6)
Ravenna riots, scroll ahead.

2. 1620 AD – Upgrade a three more cats. Kill the Russian Cossak in our back yard. The leader forms the sixth Knight Army. Now I just need to find some knights to load in it. It gets the elite* for now. (12-6)

Take a break for now.

Looking good Bugs. I'm ready again.

I'll try to get three more played today and get the save to you.

Sounds good, I'll play SGOTM4 tonight and be waiting for this one.

I had a thought about the tech pace in this one. With everyone being at war with at least us (plus France vs Aztecs and maybe more), it's doubtful that anyone is still in Republic/Democracy. With them all being either Monarchy or Communism, the tech pace will probably be very slow with only the TOE giving any of the AI a burst of science. That being said, it's not likely that anyone will ever get the required techs for a launch and at this point we seem to be able to hold our own against the cavalry & infantry they send at us. Once we get cavalry, we'll push back a bit until they get to tanks, then it's hang on and pray time again. I don't think we'll be able to actually get a enough troops to be able to mount a long term offensive. So in all probablility, unless someone gets to the UN, this game is likely to go all the way to 2050AD unless Mad-Bax steps in with a cutoff date.

Is there any chance of building an embassy and stealing techs from the AI?

denyd said:
Is there any chance of building an embassy and stealing techs from the AI?
the only way to steal techs now is to build the intelligence agency and plant spies. we'll also need about 2000g per try (ie, much better infrastructure with banks and markets).

Can you plant spys without an embassy? Per the variant, we can't build embassies because we're xenophobic, and we can't declare peace to build the embassies in the first place.

IBT – Lose two legions to Bab cavalry at Augustdorum and the city falls. Lose a legion to a Bab rifle. The English land an infantry in our backyard. Kill a French LB. An undefended Bagacum falls to the French. Rome riots, scroll ahead.

3. 1625 AD – Our offensive options are severely limited. We lose three legions taking out the English Infantry in the backyard. Kill an English cav. Kill a Bab rifle. Kill a Bab rifle and a Bab LB. Most of our knights retreat. Decide we need Mil Tradition and we need it as soon as possible. I push science to 30% to get it in 18 turns. Can we survive that long? (18-12)

IBT – Watch the Japanese attack an Aztec naval task force and swap ironclads with Monty. Kill two Cossacks. Lose the 7th Knight army to two English cavs. Kill two English Infantry at Veii. More riots. (23-13)
4. 1630 AD – Things are going to hell in a hand basket. Kill a Bab LB, but our artillery (mostly cats) is just not working very well against infantry and rifles. Lose a legion to a Bab rifle. Kill a redlined English cav but lose seven HP on the 6th Knights. (25-14)

IBT – The Rampaging Iroquois destroy the Indians. Kill a Cossack at Jerusalem, our musket is redlined. Naval Bombardment continues to take a toll as we lose the baraacks at Jerusalem. Jerusalem riots over the loss of their barracks.

5. 1635 AD – Army of the North kills Bab cav. Kill a Bab cav. Lose a knight. (27-14)

After Action – At the moment I can’t give a lot of advice. Good thing a lot of the AI are fighting amongst themselves. I think if we can get to cavs we have a shot.

Save: http://gotm.civfanatics.net/saves/sgotm3/bugsy_SG003_AD1635_01.SAV

Sir Bugsy said:
The Rampaging Iroquois destroy the Indians.

Well, at least we weren't the first Civ knocked out of the game...

Nice job on the holding action Bugs. Fighting momentum is hard, but at least they're not the unstoppable force yet. And yes, it is nice to see people spending effort on Monty.

yes, thanks bugs :) might as well note now that i will be away from Sept 24th thru October 9th, with limited or none net access. definitely won't have civ. good luck gents!

As a heads up - I'll be gone from Oct 6-11 (for a class reunion), that shouldn't have any impact on this game as I'm likely to get my turn by next Monday and be done by Friday.

denyd said:
As a heads up - I'll be gone from Oct 6-11 (for a class reunion)
More data needed... High School, college? How many years? Inquiring minds want to know :D

Gunn High School in Palo Alto, CA class of 1974

It's going to be fun watching my 2 year old son playing with some of my classmates grandchildren :D

I was thinking we should probably set up a goal or two, just to keep up the moral on the team. Things like leader generation, kill ratio or number if cities.

Any thoughts?

Top Bottom