SGOTM4 - Team Ivan

OK

I'll play Thursday evening my time.

We want the Indians to attack Persia. We will cleanse our continent of Romans. Do we want to send an expeditionary force to Persia?

I'll see if I can start a FP in Rome.

Anything else?

Adrian

Don't forget to prebuild universities when education will be coming up. Use wonders for prebuild. When Romans will be destroyed we can consider expedition to Persia. My experience shows that 6-8 units should be sent. We may make RoP with Indians and accumulate troops before attack at their land.

Turn log

Summary: A Great leader used for Sistines. Rome almost destroyed. War with Persia. The city of Rome starved down to 1 Roman citizen.

350AD - not much
360AD - movement, send workers to block off Indians from Kolhapur
370AD - Carthage riots because of the war - lux to 20%
380AD - destroy some Roman town on east coast
IBT barbs appear near our ivory, spot Indian settler at Kolhapur
390AD - raze Curmae, kill 1 barb, get a great leader
IBT - Persian horse settler combo appears north of theveste
400AD - Rush Sistine Chapel in Rome - that should solve our happiness problems
eliminate barbs

I thought a lot about this. I thought about saving the leader for a FP but the happiness issue will hurt us as we can't afford to spend money on luxes.

Declare war on Persia - eliminate horse and 2 two slaves
Get India to ally with us for Monarchy. They kick in Furs and Horses!

410 to 430 AD bring up troops for siege of Veii. Leader fish a bit. Destroy Roman town in SE corner of our island.

440Ad take Veii. Sell barracks. abandon. I thought Veii would have more stuff to sell.

450AD move troops up to Hispalis. There are some elites on the way. We can fish for leaders by ONLY attacking with elite troops.

I prefer Leo vs Sinste, but I normally relay on Lux and do no build Cathedral. WW will easer when Romans get rid.

got it....

>>>THE SAVE<<<

preflight (450ad)

wake galleys in Persian water and send towards Rome's last city to pick up troops in a couple turns after they are destroyed

ibt: Leptis Magna: horse => persian Mercenary

turn 1 (460ad)

wake fortified workers and begin massive roading project for faster troop movements (then will refortify for blockade of our island)

ibt:

fended off archer attack with no loss of hp
Theveste courthouse => SunTzu's for prebuild

turn 2 (470ad)

move another elite next to last Roman city.
move sci slider as low as possible for Gunpowder still in 1 turn

ibt

learn Gunpowder, start Education
Leptis Magna Persian Merc => Palace prebuild

turn 3 (480ad)

We have Saltpeter N of Carthage in our territory
moved last of healed elites next to last Roman city, will attack with elites next turn

ibt:

GA ended
Utica Collosseum => galley

turn 4 (490ad)

Bombard with the 3 catapults - loss of 1 hp from Roman Legion
Attack with Elite Longbow, wins vs reg spear, no leader
Attack with Elite Persian Merc, wins vs 2hp Roman Legion, WE GET A LEADER: Caesar Killer who captures last Roman city. [dance] There was nothing to sell off. Hisapalis abandoned. Leader Mago sent to Rome.
Switch Leptis Magna, Utica and Theveste to settlers so we can temporarily get enough cities to rush FP in Rome (50% corrupt)
Our people are much happier :)
Finished road project and workers refortified
Start a couple boatloads of troops to Persia to pillage their horses

ibt zzz

turn 5 (500ad)

unloaded troops on top of Persian horses
Rushed Temple in Rome
Will be able to rush FP next turn

ibt

Persia unloads a settler next to a stack of our troops on our island. How nice of Persia to donate workers to our cause :evil:

turn 6 (510ad)

settled 3 temporary cities
Rushed FP in Rome
Abandoned the 3 temporary cities
Attacked reg pike with vet persian merc, won, promoted to elite (no elite troops nearby to attack with)
Pillaged Persian Horses

ibt

Rome FP => rax
Utica Galley => galley

Turn 7 (520ad)

not much

ibt: our troops in Persian lands died :(

turn 8 (530ad)

not much - waiting for more galleys

ibt Utica galley=> Persian Merc

turn 9 (540ad)

not much

ibt

Persia landed a warrior and Immortal on our island

turn 10 (550ad)

I lost a horse against the Immortal and didn't want to lose a Persian Merc (the only other troop positioned to attack this turn), so moved a stack of troops with our cats next to the Persians for attack next turn. There are a couple galleys loaded with troops fortified off the coast south of Leptis Magna.

firaxis 457; Jason 605

Got it. That's a pity that we can't abonded something.
Parsagrad is very atractive City.

Good morning folks, I'm getting married today in lovely California. I'm staying with my father in-law to be and passing time on the morning of my wedding as all grooms tend to do.

It looks like things have been going pretty well for the team. Conquering Rome and nabbing Sistine's and the FP should really help our economy as we move forward.

I think that if we really wanted to capture a Persian city we could abandon Leptis. It can't grow beyond size 11 unless I'm mistaken. It also seems that we have a huge crew of captured workers and after the settler builds our cities are probably not full size... so if we have any natural workers left we should use them to jump our cities back to full strength.

I just realized that Ivan is up next... go captain Ivan, I think you've shown that you are the best player on our team.

@ dcstevez - congrats.

I think there may only be one native worker left. I think I had joined one of the two we had to Utica already.

I also like the idea of keeping Parsegade - it has horses and another lux.

0 550AD Pre-turn Production changed. Prebuilding university in Theveste and Utica. Luxury 0, Science 80, Education in 4 turns. Ivory and Spice for 56gold and 9 gpt with Indians. Killed Persian Immortal and Warrior. Sent troops to hill near Parsagrade. Some workers joined Rome, some sent near Rome for forestry operation, built Wool colony.
IBT Persian Galleys sail. Indians build Jaipur.
1 560AD Accidentaly trade monarchy to Ottomans, 20+4gpt. Unload more troops near Parsagrade. Upgrade one musketeer.
IBT Persian attack from Parsagrade, kill one horse.
2 570AD Kill one immortal near Parsagrade, lose 2 LB trying to take Parsagrade. Unload musketeer on hill near Parsagrade.
IBT Persian Galleys sail, Immortals run away.
3 580AD Bring more troops to Parsagrade. Sold Wool to Indians for 12+6gpt
IBT Immortals return. Researched education, started Astronomy, Science 100
4 590AD Attack Parsagrade, lose LB and wounded elite horse loads to galley. Unload more troops.
IBT Greek conventional wisdom demands Theology. Refuse and they declare war. Persian Immortals run away again. Changed Library to Marketplace in Rome.
5 600AD Established embassy with Ottomans in Sogut for 101. There is 4 lux, 4 spearmen and all improvements except colosseum complete in 8turns there. Signed military alliance vs Greeks for feudalism and received 30+3gpt. Bombard Parsagrade, unload more troops.
IBT Persians unload Immortals near Leptis.
6 610AD Stormed Parsagrade. Only redlined immortal left.
IBT Immortals attack Leptis and die. Leptis builds university and changes to horse. Palace improves.
7 620AD Capture and raze Parsagrade. Kill Immortal near Parsagrade.
IBT Persians kill LB
8 630AD Battles near Parsagrade leave no reserves for further offensive. Lose a Galley near Leptis.
IBT Lose an elite Immortal. Barbarians near Rome. Lose a horse near Leptis. Indians begin building Sun Tzu.
9 640AD Kill an Immortal and unload more troops. Workers build a fortress there.
IBT Real disaster happens. Persians capture Karachi leaving no trade route with Indians, as a result we lose our reputation. Our military alliance also ceases to exist. Rome riots due to a lack of luxury, Utica finishes university, changed to Persian Mercenary. Persians attack and sink our Galley.
10 650AD Science 60, Astronomy next turn, killed Persian Immortal, Rome stops rioting. As team leader decide to make a crucial move. Make peace with Persians and receive 62+1gpt. Build wool colony near former Parsagrade. Sell monotheism to Indians for horse and 4+23gpt. Sell wool and ivory to Persians 4+10gpt. Manage Rome.
IBT Astronomy researched, start Navigation, change Leonardos to Copernicus Observatory in Carthage and lose 79shields.
11 660AD Copernicus finished and changed to University. Science 100, Navigation 5 turns.

Congratulations to dcstevez, thanks for the compliments, here is the save. Really, I didn't play in the best manner when storming Parsagrade. I should concentrate more troops and not waste LB one by one.

Good turns. I assume the plan for now is build galleys and troops. Any thoughts on who our next victim is going to be? I kind of like the idea of going after the Persians again since we can land troops where Parsagade used to be. Then use the workers from the abandoned towns to blockade the coast. We'll also be able to get a spice and horse colony by doing this.

I just can't decide if after that we will want to trim India down, leaving a coastal town so we can get our colony goods, or turn our attention elsewhere.

What's everyone else's thoughts/ideas/plans?

First we should not let Persian settle near our fur colony. Just put troops nearby at neitral tiles. If we upgrade galleys to caravels we will have enough ships to bring troops to Greeks. Currently we have more ships, then troops.
I think we can get Chivalry from somebody shortly, before that we should bild horses as much as we can, then upgrade to knights. Also it will be nice to bring Germans or Babilons to war vs Greeks. When we'll get navigation we will be able to trade WM, please do it in the best way, sometimes TM is enough to get their WM. With WM our Conquest plan will be more sensible. Also AI's WM let us know location of barb camps. Note, that our reputation bad only vs Indians, do not make peace with Greeks, to keep rep clean at large continent.
Build more Colonies at wool, we'll be able to trade overseas (silk from Kelts), I hope.
I think we can stay at our continent, and use Colonies for resurses. Leptis has to many imrouvements to abonded. Probably war with India will be more profitable then vs Greeks, the only pity that they pay us some gpt and provide Horses.

Is AdrianE up now since Nemesis didn't pick it up?

OK

It will be Thursday night my time when I play.

What do we want to do? Should I build up a knight based military? Or do we want to go straight for cavalry? Have we settled on conquest as our objective?

AdrianE said:
OK

It will be Thursday night my time when I play.

What do we want to do? Should I build up a knight based military? Or do we want to go straight for cavalry? Have we settled on conquest as our objective?
My plan for research is Navigation, Chemestry, Metalurgy. Then We'll see. We may want Sanitation ASAP, or MT. I think Conquest is OK, to wait Diplo is to slow.

I got the save and I played 3 turns last night.

We are at an important junction in the game.

We can't attack either Persia or India at present as we have long term deals (16 turns left) in place. Our current military is a mess.
Our 5 cities are in good shape. I am having the workers do some tile reassignment to get maximum productivity.

Rome needs a few more improvements (barracks, university, cathedral) and some population growth to be a fully productive city.

If we are going for conquest we need to do the following:
Get all the AI's fighting each other.
Get to Cavalry ASAP while building lots of horsemen to upgrade. Switch off research after that.
We will need 30+ cav to conquer the world.
Attempt to Build Leo's to cut down upgrade costs.
Seriously consider the use of the resource disconnection trick to build cheap cavalry.

If we are going for diplomacy we need to do the following:
Promote peace ASAP. Sign a deal with Greece.
Gift all the AI's up to our tech level and hope they research something useful.
Start prebuilds for the Scientific wonders.

Note that these are mutually exclusive plans. By taking Ivan's proposed middle road we will do neither well.

I think we're going to need cavs if we take over the world. I also think we need to build more cannon. Resource disconnection is fine with me.

Can we afford to build 2 stacks of 30 and send one East and one West?

Is there anyone we can buy navigation from to decrease the risk of our ships sinking and speed travel?

I think an easy diplo is out as our rep was shot when India lost their town and we ended up breaking a deal.

Another option is space race, but I don't think we've been focusing on the right infrastructure/research paths for a good score with that option.

OK I've played

660AD minor adjustments
IBT Rome completes market, order university

670AD IBT Germany tries to sell us Chivalry - I say no

680AD establish embassy with Germany, buy Germany into war with Greece, Chivalry and all their gold for Education

690AD - nothing

700Ad - nothing
IBT learn Navigation

710AD- Trades
Vikings WM and 56 gold for Monarchy
Persians TM and 2G for TM
Indians WM, 5G for TM
Ottomans TM, 11G for TM
Keltoi - establish embassy, get WM, 4G alliance versus Greeks for Monarchy
Babylon WM, 5G for TM
Germany WM for TM

730AD - disconnect iron, start building horses
embassy with Babylon, buy them into war with Greece

740AD - Ottomans and Greece sign treaty
deal with Kelts to get silks

750AD - nothing - stop here to get back on standard SG rotation

We are about 12 turns away from Cavalry. Then we need banking as we will need lots of cash.

Persia has kicked the crap out of India. They should be our first target.

Screenshots of the embassies

Top Bottom