SGOTM4 - Team Ivan

I'd be willing to write up our ancient age report if everyone else is agreeable. If anyone else has some kind of interest in writing please let me know... I just have an interest in strategy and want to read the other teams reports.

0 250AD Preturn:
Move Hoplits and archers to attack Antium and Pompei.
IBT Romans popup : They do not want deal Ivory-wool. No problemo. Persian popup. They demand Ivory. Send them of. They become cautuous. Three Cities riot. Invention>Theology.
1 260 AD lux 10%. Move one Hoplite to Pompei. Upgrade 10 archers.
IBT Gracious romans gently ask to remove troops. I “agree”.
2 270 AD Cancel deal with Romans and declare war. Move troops to Antium-Pompei. Kill spear at Settler couple. Upgrade 1 Archer.
IBT Palace expand.
3 280 AD destroy Pompei. 1LB lost, 3 Legs killed.
IBT 2 Legs attack Hoplite,->2/5, GA starts.
4 290 AD Move more LB to Antium, Sci 0%.
IBT Romans move but not attack.
5 300 AD Destroy Antium. Build Colony at wool. Lux 0%, Sci 50%. Upgrade all archers. Fight near Rome. Partially retreat. Fight near wool Colony.
6 310 AD Kill warrior/spear pair. Continue advance to Rome. Fight near wool Colony. Lux 0%, Sci 50%.
7 320 AD Fight near wool Colony. Continue advance to Rome. (10 LB, 2 Horses, 1 Hoplite)
IBT Romans Kill horse near wool, and LB near Rome. Unload Leg near Cartage.
8 330 AD Finally approach Rome. Will take next turn. Kill 2Legs and Archer. Attack Leg near Cartage, lose horse and LB. Will kill next turn.
IBT Romans want to talk. NOT now. Horse retreat vs Leg. LB win vs warrior.
9 340 AD Kill 2/5 leg near Cartage. Capture Rome. Some LB left to attack Pisa next turn. Sell improvements in Hippo and abounded it. Change LBs to Persian swords. Build Colonies at Ivory. Our Workers will joint City to benefite more from GA. WW 20%, set Lux 10%.
10 350AD Got Monarchy from TGL. Destroy Pisa. Regroupe to attack Neapolis-Cuma. Our deal with Persia over. Not sure that we want continue it. Next player decide.

dcstevez said:
I'd be willing to write up our ancient age report if everyone else is agreeable. If anyone else has some kind of interest in writing please let me know... I just have an interest in strategy and want to read the other teams reports.
Yes, please, the key element of our strategy was good relation with Romans to speed up research. We were lucky with lighthouse to have many contacts, but can't discuss it.

Very nice turns Ivan,

I think that we want both horses AND furs so before the end of the current turn we should trade monarchy to the Indians for both. Monarchy is a dead tech anyway and the Indians still lack currency and construction so we shouldn't have to worry about them catching up. Then we can save ivory for a better deal and leave the option open for war with the Persians.

I think astronomy, gunpowder, navigation sounds fine. I looked around and the ottomans do have a harbor on the main continent so navigation should get us a trade route with several of those civs.

The Romans don't seem quite ready to surrender fully so we'll need to keep warring with them at least for now. Once Rome is pacified and those troops are healed please everyone make sure not to leave too many troops in it at once. We can't afford to lose our army to a culture flip.

I can't wait to see your turn log Ivan, that was a great job of military conquest and I think I might learn something from it.

excellent turns :goodjob:

Whomever we declare on next, I think we need to keep our options open for trade of horses until the last civ as with only 5 cities and none on our island (that I can recall) we won't be able to access them unless we build a city on those islands and disband one on ours.

I've posted a spoiler on the ancient age thread for our team. I think the other teams spoilers are very interesting... especially team offa who is currently in the lead after an early conquest of Rome which yeilded them a great leader allowing them to build a forbidden palace in "new rome" after a peace settlement temporarily bumped them to 8 cities. They also have the great lighthouse (completed in 800BC in Theveste... a lot more BG's than our Utica had) and entered the middle ages only a few turns behind us. I've read several posts by Klarius before and I'm almost certain that they will go straight for cavalry and a very rapid global conquest.

I'm not sure that we will be able to achieve a conquest victory before them. Would we have a better shot at the laurels with a rapid diplo or space victory? We are ahead in science, but pretty far behind in conquest.

Diplomatic victory is actually a sure thing if we build the United Nations and then make military alliances with a majority of nations against some sucker. However, we might be hampered in this because of our conquest of Rome.

The other two posts are both going for 20k victories.

The team Offa's post indicates it is possible to get a FP. If we can get 3 cities from Rome in a peace treaty or build 3 settlers ourselves or some combination of them we can get a FP too.

Diplomatically, I believe each war declaration is a +1 and each razed city is also a +1. We can eliminate Rome and still be OK for a diplomatic victory. We just need to make sure the AI's fight each other.

I played with Klarius before on Xteam and he will definately push the team go straight to Cav and use the resource disconnection trick to mass produce horsemen for upgrade to cavalry.

AdrianE said:
1) The team Offa's post indicates it is possible to get a FP. If we can get 3 cities from Rome in a peace treaty or build 3 settlers ourselves or some combination of them we can get a FP too.

2) Diplomatically, I believe each war declaration is a +1 and each razed city is also a +1. We can eliminate Rome and still be OK for a diplomatic victory. We just need to make sure the AI's fight each other.

3) I played with Klarius before on Xteam and he will definately push the team go straight to Cav and use the resource disconnection trick to mass produce horsemen for upgrade to cavalry.
1) It is good to have FP in Rome but we have to eleminate Romans completely. Culture flip chance is low, but...
We may have 3 Settlers ready for virtual Cities and, I think GL. However it is not very very important.
2) I think we will be able to win diplomatically if we set this goal. But our score will be much lower. [If I wrong explain me, please].
3 ) Probably it is fastest tactics (Cavs on Galleys). Will see. I will try mine. I think Astronomy-Navigation let us travel overseas faster and bring more troops, and LB and Persian Swords are good enough for attack. Probably we manage to get Sanitation in resonable time and have Huge Cartage.
BTW, how many workers we allowed to join to City per/turn (SGOTM rule)?

I don't know much about how the Jason score is calculated. However, it seems that with the 5cc conquest variant the normal advantage of domination / conquest victories will be removed. I believe that they are normally the highest scoring victories because they control the most territory, the most citizens ... are the most POWERFUL. However, in 5cc they will not be able to take advantage of that. Once we research navigation and open trading routes with all civs we will be able to make a large segment of our population very happy and possibly develop a good score.

It might even be the case that we can complete a diplomatic or space victory in a very good time relative to the Jason date. I'll try and find some articles about how the scoring is calculated.

I'm not opposed to pursuing conquest, I just want to make sure that we're following our best strategy for success.

In GOTM 28 on which this game is based the following "best dates" were used. These seem to favor a conquest victory. Which of these dates can we achieve?

Conquest 1200AD
Cultural 20k 1760AD
Cultural 100k 1555AD
Diplomatic 1010AD
Domination 970AD
Space Race 1330AD

These values are the product of a system of modifiers that has been developed for the Jason score formula. To find out more about the formula and how it works, go to the "calculator" page.

We defenetely miss Culture 20 k, and I think Diplo at 1010 also impossible. I think Space at 1330 at 5CC not accessible. Conquest at 1200 might be, but very hard.
What M-bax will tell?

We can declare vs Persian and ask Gandy Fur, horses and Alliance vs Persia fo Monarchy. It is good move, I think (If we want Conquest).

That sounds good to me.

We may also want to check the scores and pick out which of the continental civs has the highest score... then declare war on them and ally several other civs against them to keep the continent week and a slow tech pace.

We must keep our opponents from getting to navigation.

dcstevez said:
That sounds good to me.

We may also want to check the scores and pick out which of the continental civs has the highest score... then declare war on them and ally several other civs against them to keep the continent week and a slow tech pace.

We must keep our opponents from getting to navigation.

agree with weakening other civs with wars

sorry, been away. Just checked this morning and I'm up. Will play this morning, but I have to catch up on the posts. So got it and will post in a couple of hours.

To Nemesis666. We agree to declare Persia and make alliance with India vs Persia for Monarchy. Also ask Fur and Horses. Try to finish Romans. We may also prebuild in core Cities Universirties when approach education. Join OUR workers to Utica and Then. Romans worker should "defend" Ivory. It looks that Greeks is strongest overseas civ, but we may wait when they declare to us.

Score is irrelevant.

The laurel goes to the team with the fastest finish relative to the best date for the victory condition.

If team 1 wins a conquest victory 50 turns after the best date for a conquest victory with a score of 5000 and team 2 wins a diplomatic victory 40 turns after the best date for a diplomatic victory with a score of 4000, then team 2 wins.

AdrianE said:
Score is irrelevant.

The laurel goes to the team with the fastest finish relative to the best date for the victory condition.

If team 1 wins a conquest victory 50 turns after the best date for a conquest victory with a score of 5000 and team 2 wins a diplomatic victory 40 turns after the best date for a diplomatic victory with a score of 4000, then team 2 wins.
I see. that mean that we will compite for Green laurel with Offa. IMHO that 20 k Culture will give best result vs 1760 AD. It is much esear to conquest before 1200 AD then build spaceship before 1350 AD. (Though I think both impossible). I think, however we will stay at 5CC as decided at the begining, and will try my route for 5CC Conquest: Astronomy>Gunpowder>Navigation>Chemestry>Metalurgy>MT>Banking>
Physics>ToG>Magnetism>Medecine>Sanitation. (1360-1400 AD). I think it will be enough. [We may finish well before if we will be lucky and MT will be enough to win.].

I'll be out of town until the 18th so if my turn comes up soon please skip me if Rrau is ready to play.

who's up anyway?

Since Nemesis666 didn't post anything within 72 hours AdreanE is up. Please take my save file from post #100 and play 10 turns. Regards, Ivan.

Top Bottom