1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Shacknews Civ 5 review: No save games in multiplayer?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Multiplayer' started by Formica, Sep 17, 2010.

1. JimMac99

JimMac99 Warlord

Well now, I have just removed my order of 4 copies of the game from my Amazon basket, which I placed for our mp group. We enjoy meeting up every weekend and continuing our game of Civ IV, and we are happy to play at a leisurely pace. Until we have the option to save Civ V when we want AND have the choice to enjoy the animations, we will stay with Civ IV. :(
    >Fix this!

2. krunsh

krunsh Prince

This is getting worst... 2k Greg answered my question by email:

Answer:

Hey Maxime,

Right now, only simultaneous multiplayer is supported. Turn-based play may come in the future, as we plan on expanding the multiplayer options with patches.

Kotaku must have been mistaken about how the game worked in their preview, as we have never had a version that has turn-based multiplayer.

2K Greg

Question:

Hi, I've posted this question to you a few time now but I think you missed it (Or don't know the answer...).

A new review have said that multiplayer is only simultaneous turn, is that true? Earlier multiplayer preview had said otherwise, some of the previewer (From kotaku I beleive) were playing sequential turn and described it like this: You can see wich turn it is by looking at the name on the right of the screen and you can queue order even if it's not your turn.

As it been removed? I can understand how you want to make the game faster for multiplayer... but I personaly think that I'll hate it now that it's one unit per tile and since I mostly play with friend there's no reason to be worried about the other player waiting (At the worst you use the timer...)

So?
    Thanks you,

--

I've played civ 4 and civ rev online... simultaneous turn was Okay but frustrating when another player could steal a village, barbarian.. or rush one of your unit before you could get it out of range.

Now I can see this being a VERY big problem with all combat with 1 unit per tile... I mean... It's gonna be ridiculus... It's all about who clic first. At least I want to have the choice to play sequestial turn with my friend even if it take a longer time.

3. Silverwave

Silverwave Warlord

Ok... this is actually an awful news. I won't be playing MP 'till this get fixed, that's for sure.

No sequential turns, no animations... what the heck? I don't play RTS, there's reasons.

4. Newcomer24

Newcomer24 Warlord

double post.

5. Newcomer24

Newcomer24 Warlord

I'm with you here, I'm not buying an unfinished game. There are no excuses to release a game without the option to save the game in MP and without animations (!!)... I was buying this mainly to play with friends over LAN... no way I will buy it in this state, fix this basic stuff and you will get my money. I will stick with Civ IV for now.

6. KMRblue1027

KMRblue1027 The Crown!

And when I thought there could not be another reason not to get Civ5. No manual saves in Multiplayer. I always save after I'm done my production and moves not at the beginning of a turn.

7. sk065

sk065 Chieftain

No animations seems kinda strange...Thought they would have at least gave us the option.. I play this on LAN like many others and we like long games....

So what kinda of gameply are we talking - will the units just hover onto the next tile when moving/fightging etc?

8. krunsh

krunsh Prince

I don't know.. but I have a feeling that, no animation + simultaneous turn + one unit per tile could turn in VERY chaotic war.

I don't like that.

9. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Warlord

Please check and let us know, an option would be the best thing.

10. KingMorgan

KingMorgan Deity

Seems sensible tbh, I'll always have animations, pop ups etc switched off. for blazing MP it's suicide to have them on. Also from what i can grasp of the game concepts; MP will be a huge part of 'network' concept and i would hope it's polished and very smooth.

11. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Simultaneous turns among players who agree ahead of time aren't bad. It just means that, once the war starts, all military moves need to be taken in turn. If player A declares war before player B moved, he'll have to always go before player B until the war is done unless they agree to switch. It can be awkward, but it's not terribly awkward.

That beings said, I do hope they add turn based as soon as possible.

12. Newcomer24

Newcomer24 Warlord

I can understand why someone would want those stuff off... but removing those features from the MP experience without givining the player the option to turn them back on is just wrong. I'm starting to wonder what other things is MP going to miss... I would bet there are more.

13. Tamed

Tamed Warlord

Canceled my deluxe edition preorder, it's very easy to get your $59.99 back on Steam, just send an e-mail to support@valvesoftware.com and tell them what you want to do.

I won't buy Civ 5 until there's animations in MP. I have a beast mode PC, I want animations.

14. krunsh

krunsh Prince

That work only in friendly game... Random people wont care about these rules.

And it's realy annoying to have to take care of that when it should be done by the computer... It's not a board game.

But I guess I'll try it when playing with friends... But even then I don't think it's 100% fair since one player might get to play first more often than the other. The only way to counter that would be to keep track of who should be playing first on every single turn of the game (alternating between player in a logical order) so that when war come you who who would be playing first in a normal sequential multiplayer game (or singleplayer game).

Obviously that's to much work.

15. guczy

guczy Warlord

Kinda answers why they havent talked much bout multiplayer...

16. JimMac99

JimMac99 Warlord

Agree completely.

Actually, now that I think about it, has there been any confirmation that you can play mp via LAN, i.e. without having to be on-line? I fear a possible Settlers 7 deal for mp, you must be on-line and connected via Steam...

17. guczy

guczy Warlord

Is there any Steamworks title that has LAN w/o Steam?

18. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Yeah, it does only work in friendly games, but it would at least work against players on CFC.

19. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

Seriously. What the hell?

In my mind... 1upt hex tactical style of design make it less sensical to have simultaneously turns... not more.

20. joe80x86

joe80x86 Chieftain

I have held off pre-ordering but was planning on buying within a day or 2 of release pending actual user reviews. But this news basicly ends that, I will wait until animations and turn based multiplay are available.

Its not that I don't want to trust Firaxis but I have seen this way too much lately where the developer says they will add stuff later and then either goes belly up or conveniently moves on to another project, and the players are left with an unfinished game.