Shoshone civilization, leader Pocatello

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a Conquest of the New World Deluxe scenario. It was seen in a screenshot earlier, although the details aren't know. Why do you think he's trolling?

This Shoshone choice is exactly why I want the devs to explain their process behind choosing civs and Uniques (and do a behind-the-scenes look in general - just like how they did with Pueblo and to a lesser extent with Poland)

It's obvious Poland, Brazil, Indonesia, Portugal and Zulu were chosen as fan-favorites (although Portugal and Indonesia had a good chance at making it in any case). Then you have Assyria as a Mesopotamian powerhouse, so no need for further explanation. Then Venice as Ed Beach's Italian baby. Morocco was the token Scramble for Africa civ.

But Shoshone? I love the choice. They are unique. They are deserving. But why over the Utes? Did the Utes also have privacy concerns? Because they seem like the obvious first backup choice to Pueblo. And why over the Sioux? Or Shawnee? And so on. I would just really love to know the thought process and behind-the-scenes look into deciding the 9 civs, but the Shoshone particularly.

If you don't understand Poland you need to look up their history, they were VERY important.

This Shoshone choice is exactly why I want the devs to explain their process behind choosing civs and Uniques (and do a behind-the-scenes look in general - just like how they did with Pueblo and to a lesser extent with Poland)

It's obvious Poland, Brazil, Indonesia, Portugal and Zulu were chosen as fan-favorites (although Portugal and Indonesia had a good chance at making it in any case). Then you have Assyria as a Mesopotamian powerhouse, so no need for further explanation. Then Venice as Ed Beach's Italian baby. Morocco was the token Scramble for Africa civ.

But Shoshone? I love the choice. They are unique. They are deserving. But why over the Utes? Did the Utes also have privacy concerns? Because they seem like the obvious first backup choice to Pueblo. And why over the Sioux? Or Shawnee? And so on. I would just really love to know the thought process and behind-the-scenes look into deciding the 9 civs, but the Shoshone particularly.

I feel like they were originally going to go for the Comanche (another popular NA alternative that has been thrown around), but they didn't want another aggressive cavalry based civ. So they scaled up a notch and made it the Shoshone with Comanches a component.

I could be way off base of course.

???

Elaborate please, I'm confused what this sentence is aimed at

Well, many years ago, Poland discovered America and took to hiding out as a native american tribe called the Shoshone. Around this time they also colonized a spot of land in europe that had previously been thought of as being uninhabitable: the Italian coast. They decided to call this Venice for some reason.

Well, many years ago, Poland discovered America and took to hiding out as a native american tribe called the Shoshone. Around this time they also colonized a spot of land in europe that had previously been thought of as being uninhabitable: the Italian coast. They decided to call this Venice for some reason.

And Venice came to power as the Repùblica de Vèneta and took over a bunch of land including the former Greek city-states of Athens and Sparta. In 1204, Enrico Dandolo led the Siege of Constantinople. Around the 14th century, an unknown merchant was supposedly sailing west to Portugal. After 10 months of sailing, he reached an uncharted land in which he called Novo Venetia. He traveled west thinking he was in Spain. 11 months later, he found a small village which he thought was the Islamic village of Valencia. He went in and to his surprise saw people with no clothes, uncivilized, and non-Muslim looking. He went in to greet himself to them. Out of nowhere, a Comanche rider slain him. 500 years later, the Americans finds his body with a tomahawk on the side of his skull.

And Venice came to power as the Repùblica de Vèneta and took over a bunch of land including the former Greek city-states of Athens and Sparta. In 1204, Enrico Dandolo led the Siege of Constantinople. Around the 14th century, an unknown merchant was supposedly sailing west to Portugal. After 10 months of sailing, he reached an uncharted land in which he called Novo Venetia. He traveled west thinking he was in Spain. 11 months later, he found a small village which he thought was the Islamic village of Valencia. He went in and to his surprise saw people with no clothes, uncivilized, and non-Muslim looking. He went in to greet himself to them. Out of nowhere, a Comanche rider slain him. 500 years later, the Americans finds his body with a tomahawk on the side of his skull.

:lol:

There is a Conquest of the New World Deluxe scenario. It was seen in a screenshot earlier, although the details aren't know. Why do you think he's trolling?

Accidental trolling, yay? looking at what I said, I can see that it does look very sarcastic and trolly.

I do agree, I'd love to see a Ute civ lead by Ouray a ton (if you haven't guessed, I'm kind of a fan of the Ute,) but Shoshone is close, right? I guess it's a little harder to think of unique units or them that are completely Ute (admittedly I don't much about Ute warfare, I'm more knowledgeable on their culture and politics. I can think of plenty of UA's for them) I had a completely different idea of the Ute's focus from what the Shoshone are, so I guess I could still try to mod myself a Ute civ (try being a key word, the whole, not knowing much modding hurts a little in that.)

More than anything I'd love to see a behind the scenes on civ picking. I love commentary's and the such (I watch every one), and with all the interesting stuff with the Pueblo, I'm really curious what their process for picking and making civs are. you hear that Firaxis? the fan(s?) demand it, bring us behind the scenes.

I'm actually suspecting they had already done some work for the Pueblo, and wanted to re-use the assets, and they figured Portabello (however you spell his name) looked close enough to Pope. I'm thinking this because the leader button for Potincello (I really dunno the correct spelling, do I? :mischief:) looks a lot like the concept art for Pope.

Ok, some comments:

1. There's some misunderstanding about Pathfinder being upgradeable. It clearly can't be upgraded in regular way (see screens), but since it can choose bonus, it could easily upgrade itself to scout.

2. We don't know if all options are available once visiting ancient ruins or, say, random 3. Still it's a powerful bonus.

3. We could easily suggest how much extra tiles the cities have - 12. I would be surprised if new city territory has any shape over than hexagon.

4. Funny thing - Shoshones are good for both going religious (early pantheon with faith bonus from faith) and for not going religious (early pantheon without building any shrines and forgetting about religion).

My only real complaint is that the leader chosen doesn't really seem to have done much according to the Civlopedia other than run away. Surely if we had a Camelot civ we wouldn't have Brave Sir Robin as the head

My only real complaint is that the leader chosen doesn't really seem to have done much according to the Civlopedia other than run away. Surely if we had a Camelot civ we wouldn't have Brave Sir Robin as the head

:lol::lol::lol:
"When danger reared in its ugly head, sir robin turned his tail and fled, oh brave sir robin!"

A unique American unit called CSI began picking the brain of the unfortunate victim, and mysteriously there was a British hemlock embedded in among the greyish substance. Inside, there was a crumpled-up minute map. An American infantry unit followed its instructions all the way past Angola and False River in Louisiana, and near a plantation, underneath a misplaced Beobab tree, was a Greek stele. When one of the men twisted it three times and shouted "I know where Hoffa lies buried!", a spring mechanism was activated and a stone slab slid away. Down in a small cist, lay a metal-clad coffer. "Sticky Fingers" T-Bone in the unit forced the lock and noticed a letter on top of neatly stacked paintings of odd birds making out in the worst kind of way. The letter was written by Sacagawea, it was brief and to the point:
"Dear John,
I've had enough. Every time we sneak off in the afternoon for some cooing, you take it literally, and start making disturbing sounds - bad impressions of bird chirping. Then you undress and begin to paint them doing the lovey-dovey stuff. Your paintings, Audubon, are fantastic, but your actions are deranged, so I'll leave you now to your own twisted devices. I'm running off with Lewis and Clark instead, they are much more mature and focused.
Farewell,
Sacagawea."

Regarding upgrading Pathfinders, I would assume they upgrade to Spearmen from a goodie hut rather than Archers. Halving your combat strength wouldn't be much of an upgrade.

Regarding upgrading Pathfinders, I would assume they upgrade to Spearmen from a goodie hut rather than Archers. Halving your combat strength wouldn't be much of an upgrade.

Yes, that's probable. I don't see any other viable upgrade options.

That would mean you could end up with a Lancer with 5 movement (from the +1 movement promotion for scouts) and no movement penalty in rough terrain :D

Pathfinder makes Shoshone powerfull frontrunner towards GL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom