Sid Meier's Civilization VI announced!

Really annoyed by the "districts" idea. That's the sort of gameplay conceit that takes me out of the suspension of disbelief. I mean, cities and their fat hexes already represent a huge amount of real estate given the scale of the maps. Now these are going to spill out from the core hex? I guess I'll just have to think of them as suburbs...suburbs that are all about science? Yeah, that's dumb.

On the other hand, the research boosts based on in-game activity is AWESOME. That's exactly what I always wanted to learn to mod for. That's a smart call.

The cartoony graphics kind of annoy me and despite what others are saying, I doubt they will ease the system requirements at all. They're still detailed 3D models, they're just cartoony 3D models. Of course, at the moment the system requirements don't mean anything to me because they haven't even announced a Mac version...wait, I did just get a new desktop at work. I wonder if it...

Was hoping for a spherical map... but I'm hoping if cities are going to occupy multiple tiles, that the size of the map would have to be increased greatly. I have always loved playing epic games on huge maps with multiple cubs so i hope we can expect massive map sizes. Gotta say I'm surprised the release is set so close to the announcement but then again I've been waiting on kingdom hearts 3 for 10 years so I'm not complaining!

I mean, cities and their fat hexes already represent a huge amount of real estate given the scale of the maps. Now these are going to spill out from the core hex?
I am hoping that RtG is correct that this means much larger maps.

On the other hand, the research boosts based on in-game activity is AWESOME.
+1

I am hoping we will see units that upgrade based on in-game activity as well. A unit attack across a river or while embarked? They earn points towards Amphibious promotion. Units always on hills? They earn points towards Drill.

I am hoping that RtG is correct that this means much larger maps.

+1

I am hoping we will see units that upgrade based on in-game activity as well. A unit attack across a river or while embarked? They earn points towards Amphibious promotion. Units always on hills? They earn points towards Drill.

This. Like others, I was hoping for a radical departure but if Civ 6 aims to tie the civ to the land it sits on, it's a step in the right direction.

After my disappointment with Civ V, this looks promising. I like that they (somewhat) backed away from 1upt with the corps idea, and I actually like the cartoony buildings. Still wish they went back to squares. I'll give this a try.

I'm glad this isn't a Civ5 reskin like BE turned out to be. But the art style looks like what Civ Rev would've been on PC.. Also not excited about cities being "unstacked". That sounds fine if you have three or four cities on a huge map, but what would eight on a small map look like? I was hoping we'd (especially the AI) be able to grow wide like in Civ4, but it looks like we'll be limited again.

Cautiously optimistic. Looks like they are veering away from Civilization 5 which is a very good thing.

Cartoony style is ok but it looks rather Civ Rev. OTOH, more cartoony graphics could lead to bigger maps to play on and a backing away from the 3 cities is an empire idea since larger maps will be less taxing on the computer.

Axing 1UPT was the right thing to do. Combined arms sounds interesting.

Severely trimming the tech tree is concerning.

Hope it isn't be made from the ground up for consoles and tablets. Wait and see, I guess.

hello chaps!
i found intersesting link
this one is in french and speack about a day/night cicle
http://fr.ign.com/civilization-6-pc...un-style-graphique-reinvente-interview-ign-fi
important points:
cartoony graphics are used to make units more visible from different zooms. They precise they made units look goofy and cartoony on purpose.
units graphics will change depending on the civilization like a varietas delectat mod
The UI will be art deco and renaissance based themed
war fog is still there and will look like an old renaissance map
marvels movies are here and in real time?(dont get it)
oh and there will be day/night cycles

Here is the English article for the same.

IGN said:
Spoiler :
In an elegant-sounding touch, that theme will extend to the Fog of War itself. “The big difference in our Fog of War from Civ 5 is that Civ 5 had the clouds. Now we’re treating the totally unexplored areas as a blank parchment with longitude and latitude lines on it,” says Busatti. “But as you explore that you start to open things up. The mid-fog, instead of being a darker version of the visible terrain, is now drawn in a map style. So we have shaders on it that simulate a pen-and-ink cross-hatch style map. It’s really cool and I’m excited to show that off. And in the empty spaces we have hand-drawn ships and sort of ‘here be dragons’ kind of stuff.”

The other major visual style element that Busatti’s extremely proud of is a callback to Civilization IV. “We had those pre-rended Wonder movies that show a sort of time-lapse photography sunrise to sunset. Everybody really liked those, and we got a lot of comments that they missed those as a reward for building Wonders,” he recalls. “So now we’re doing those in-game. Wonders actually have very intricate build sequences, so as you’re building Wonders over time you can see a certain percentage that’s done by looking at them massing. But when you’re done you’re rewarded by this movie – actually, the time of day in the world changes. So it goes from night to sunrise, so you see all the bricks building up in place until you get to sunset. Or some of the wonders end at night because they’re lit. And it’s all in-game in your world, and you can see all your buildings around it. It makes the world seem more alive, and that’s something we’ve put a lot of effort into.”

Yes, Firaxis built a whole time-of-day system just for that one feature. But its uses may not end there. “We’ve been experimenting. We’d also like to do a setting where you literally you see the sun rise when you start the game. But we’ve also had a setting where you can just keep rotating through. It doesn’t make sense to tie it to turns, but a looping two or three-minute cycle. And we also want to give people the option to set certain times, just say ‘6pm!’ and play that way.”

And even though those uses are entirely cosmetic, Busatti says a feature like time-of-day lighting could find other purposes. “There are plenty of ways to tie it in for the modding community. I could see someone making a Gettysburg game where the time of the day actually indicates when the game’s going to be over. So you start your battle at sunrise, and it gets incrementally darker every turn until it’s night time, and that’s the end of the game.”

Finally, because it’s 2016, I had to ask about playing Civilization 6 in virtual reality. Busatti definitely has some enthusiasm for it: “As a company we haven’t made any kind of decisions on that, but I think it would be cool. Pie-in-the-sky, just me talking, I would love to do that. Can you imagine sitting across the table from a leader?”

Been playing since the first Civ game, and have spent countless hours on each iteration. I actually stopped for almost 2 years when Civ V came out, because I couldn't get into the overly military style. After the expansions I've put in over 1200 hours. I really liked BE at first, but it was just to easy in the end. For me the biggest excitement is upgraded AI. There have been huge steps in AI over the past few years, and I hope we get to see some of that come through

Cartoony graphics:
I am also super disappointed in the look and feel of the graphics. I don't have a problem with stylization or cartoons (Banner Saga, Borderland 2, Armello), but these look too much like Disney. I keep thinking of the clone wars cartoons (which I can't stand). Civ is always grounded in history. That is what makes it so immersive. You don't need to know a whole backstory. You believe in the world because its grounded in our world. Just an alternate history. Thats why I'm very excited about the hand drawn map feel. But those swordsmen! No sword in history has ever looked like that. I really want to like it, but I'm afraid the historical nature will be ruined.

You're changing the argument, there.

Swords in history have indeed looked like that. You're now talking about the proportions, which is a separate subject entirely and covered by articles like the IGN one linked, above.

Hm... Came here expecting the screenshots would be terrible, but in fact they are pretty polished...

Dislike that apparently they go with a full map turning/zoom setting (which is stupid), but the gfx look very nice this time around. I may even be tempted to mod CivVI! :D

Back to Civfanatics after 6 years of absence...

Seeing the screenshots and reading the sparse infos released until now, I'm loosing hope to ever see a version of my favorite game that's even close to perfection.

From part one to three the game was great for me, because I didn't have any expectations at all.

Civ IV had the best gameplay, but the graphics were not impressive, even back then. Still my favorite.

Civ V had nice landscape graphics (Although I don't like the hex arrangement). That's all. As for the rest, part five was what we germans call a "Rohrkrepierer" (a mess). UI, one unit restriction, trade function, don't get me started...

The new look is nice for 5-10 year old kids and comic fans, but to me it looks cheap. As for the gameplay I can't judge without having played it. But the announcements are not very enticing for me.

This may be the first Civilization game that I don't buy on day one. Or at all.

Just saw some early gameplay which has been posted on youtube, and some interesting features are shown. The art looks a bit better not being so zoomed in too. 2 trees to research, barbarians improved, the concept of builders instead of workers I think is a good one too.

Top Bottom