1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sid Meier's Civilization VI announced!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Camikaze, May 11, 2016.

1. radster_X

radster_X Chieftain

I think we can also include portugal, although I'm simply guessing based on those city colours in the top left of image no. 2.

Also I believe those colours are for Egypt (also + pyramids give it away they are in the base game), although Rome will most likely also be in the base game.

2. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

To build upon my previous post, the buildings and improvements/districts look cool, it's the landscape(esp. trees/mountains) and units(perhaps the number of single men per unit? I mean, a spearwall with just 4 pikemen isnt very impressive) that kinda irks me. :p

3. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

I was going to comment on the lack of City Banners until you posted this screenshot. Maybe they just didn't want to reveal too much.

4. radster_X

radster_X Chieftain

This sounds particularly intriguing.

"OI DID YOU JUST CHOP DOWN THAT FOREST?" - Hiawatha
    "Um yeah I did...so what?" - Washington
    "THOSE TREES ARE SACRED MATE" - Hiawatha
    "Meh... manifest destiny and all that" - Washington
    "DON'T WORRY TREE'S, I'LL HONOR MY PLEDGE OF PROTECTION, PREPARE TO EAT STICKS WASHINGTON!" - Hiawatha

5. darko82

darko82 Emperor

Too cartoony for me. Civ V looks better. It's like the target audience is the new generation of young kids. I need to gulp it somehow. 5 years of waiting.

6. TPangolin

TPangolin Just the worst person

Another point to put forward. A user on reddit edited the screenshots slightly to make the game look a lot more palatable in my opinion:

Spoiler :

7. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

I was thinking in the same direction, by making it less colorfull and darken a bit it would be less cartoony and better.

8. Battlehelm043

Battlehelm043 Warlord

Well crap.... this looks very cartoony... the reason I got into CiV was for the enhanced graphics.... I hope this is certainly not what it will look like but CiV turned out looking like the what we saw initially... may end up sticking with V a little longer :/

9. Hypereon

Hypereon He was a Consul of Rome!

That looks way better than the hypercoloured original. Though the epic official banner gives me hope they won't go full blown Clash of Clans with the graphics.

Also, religion confirmed?

BTW, what is that thing the swordsman is holding? A cake cutter or a massive quill? :p :p

10. darko82

darko82 Emperor

It looks washed out, too. I don't know. I think they do not know the graphics expectations in 2016.

11. bison21

bison21 Warlord

I guess the cartooony direction lessens the need for huge GPUs to cope with ever-more detailed maps. It looks like it came straight out of Blizzard's art department. Well games like wow and hearthstone (and overwatch) are hugely popular so I guess the cartoony style will not be the end of it.

Not enough information around to judge on anything but I am so happy that hexes stay and that 1UPT will only receive slight modification! :thumbsup:

12. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

"cartoony" is a stylistic choice and not an objective evaluation of the graphical quality on display. "cartoony" has no impact on the graphical performance of a game because it is a stylistic choice. The polys being rendered can be the same. The texture maps can be of the same sizes, and the variance in texture detail can be just as great.

In this modern age of gaming I'm surprised at so many kneejerk reactions to anything that isn't "realistic" and "mature". Be a bit more tolerant of things, perhaps?

13. RupertMcgee

RupertMcgee Chieftain

I really like the art style. It's sad to see people getting so hung up on the graphics. You would pass up a great game because the graphics are too cartoony for you? It looks fine. You have 3 screenshots that are obviously doctored to show off some of the new concepts. Notice how there are no large forests anywhere in sight, or UI. Just relax and wait for some actual gameplay footage. I wouldn't say the graphics style is reflected of the new generation of gamers. So cynical. Civilization 4 was not that realistic either but everyone loved it. Civ 5 was slightly more realistic but I wouldn't call it realistic. This is a nice change.

14. Sharples

Sharples Prince

I'm just hoping the MultiPlayer and the AI are actually going to be improved this time.

Other than that, I'm hyped for this! :crazyeye:

15. Battlehelm043

Battlehelm043 Warlord

The 1080 GTX could easily handle the load of intense graphics but we will see. Firaxis would have to show a pretty impressive game at E3 to earn my pre-order. Right now I get the feel they are going back to Civ Rev graphics and leaders speaking "simish" again... I hope not.

16. Sharples

Sharples Prince

I doubt they would, this is a massive title.

17. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

That actually looks way better, and with "way" I mean "a lot".

18. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

October 21 cannot get here too soon. I tried playing CiV last night and it just doesn't do it for me anymore (after 900 hours).

19. danaphanous

danaphanous religious fanatic

looks amazing! Can't wait to play, the in-detail interviews in particular may have convinced me to buy the game out of box which is rarely my habit :)

20. bison21

bison21 Warlord

I'm not sure whether this was a response to my post- I just wanted to say that "cartoony" does have the advantage of keeping poly counts low because in the absence of realism you can get away with more.