Simple questions, simple answers

Scouts do not upgrade manually. It's ruins or bust.

That's a bummer... so the Scouts are still useless after the very brief window at the beginning of the game. Oh well, guess my hope that they'd do something about it was in vain.

Scouts are definitely not useless and perhaps in the top 5 more important units in the game. Getting 1-2 scouts to explore as soon as possible is very critical to early game success. They can last as long as you need them (great for going across oceans after Astronomy) until you find every single civ and city-state on the map. If you are not exploring effectively with scouts, then you are missing one of the key strategies in the game.

Scouts are definitely not useless and perhaps in the top 5 more important units in the game. Getting 1-2 scouts to explore as soon as possible is very critical to early game success. They can last as long as you need them (great for going across oceans after Astronomy) until you find every single civ and city-state on the map. If you are not exploring effectively with scouts, then you are missing one of the key strategies in the game.

I dunno... after Horseback Riding, you have units that are faster than Scouts, cost the same upkeep, and are better in literally every way. And they can't be one-shot killed by just about any unit.

In a game where every other unit can be upgraded and kept relevant, I am not impressed with Scouts. Sure I build them, but after the initial exploration, having a near-useless unit that still costs me as much as a unit that can actually attack/defend in addition to exploring? Sounds pretty useless...

I haven't seen a game where it made sense to keep a Scout past turn 80 or so. Which is disappointing if they happened to get a level up or two. Why give a unit useful upgrades (like faster healing) if they will never be put to any use? Unless you get lucky and turn them into Archers, but that doesn't happen in every game.

Manta, if you settle near cities they provide more food from the food plains. Also when you research the Civil Service tech you get an extra food from farms next to rivers. Gold from rivers are gone, but quick to get with the trade routes. Just keep them protected ;)

Also settling on rivers allows you to build Water Mills, Gardens and Hydro Plants

Can someone tell me how to get more culture? My borders barely expand but I didn't have a problem with this before BNW came out.

Hey everyone, I guess this is the place to ask questions? Sorry if not. Playing BNW, in the beginning when you found your second city and you get your first trade route, I do not have an option to trade with my second city. I.E. send it food or production. Is there a general requirement to be met before you can trade with your other cities? Thanks in advance!

You need to have a granary before you can set up a food trade route and a workshop before you can set up a production trade route. Since I don't have the game yet, I am not sure if this needs to be present in both cities or just one of them. :)

I... have no idea what's going on there. You definitely seem to be missing a button on your great merchant. Maybe this is a problem for tech support? I'd suggest running a test game (duel map, pangaea, settler, quick speed), rush to optics, and see if the problem can be reproduced.

One weird idea - could he be playing in an OCC mode? I suppose that would prevent him from puppetting a city.

You need to have a granary before you can set up a food trade route and a workshop before you can set up a production trade route. Since I don't have the game yet, I am not sure if this needs to be present in both cities or just one of them. :)

Only the sending city needs a granary/workshop. If you have the buildings and caravans/cargo ships ready, you can literally funnel growth and production to a new city the same turn that it gets founded.

Can someone tell me how to get more culture? My borders barely expand but I didn't have a problem with this before BNW came out.

Circulate your great works. Amphitheaters take great works of writing, opera houses take music, and museums take art and artifacts. To keep border expansion relatively smooth, put your great works on display in the cities that you want to grab tiles, then rotate them out to other needy cities as your culture buildings and great work stockpiles allow. Keep a priority on what your cities can handle--if one city has an amphitheater, and the other has an amphitheater and an opera house, prioritize putting any great works of writing in the amphitheater-only city, since you can already stock the opera house with music.

I... have no idea what's going on there. You definitely seem to be missing a button on your great merchant. Maybe this is a problem for tech support? I'd suggest running a test game (duel map, pangaea, settler, quick speed), rush to optics, and see if the problem can be reproduced.

After doing some tests, it turns out you cannot buy a city state and make them a puppet in "1 city challenge", which I had set as on.

I'd think this is a bug? You can still have puppets in 1 city challenge, so why not be able to use the merchant ability to buy one?

I suppose Venice was viewed as overpowered in 1cc?

After doing some tests, it turns out you cannot buy a city state and make them a puppet in "1 city challenge", which I had set as on.

I'd think this is a bug? You can still have puppets in 1 city challenge, so why not be able to use the merchant ability to buy one?

Are you sure about that? I thought that you cannot puppet in 1 city challenge - you immediately raze any cities you conquer. In fact few posts ago I made a guess that you were playing in 1 city challenge mode, hence your inability to puppet.

You need to fill your culture buildings with Great Works, otherwise they give much less culture than before.

One City Challenge does not allow you to puppet. It raises any city you capture.

Thanks for the help, I'll make sure I do that. Did they change up science a bit also?

Trying to figure everything out has caused me to forget how to do other stuff and I'm gonna have to bump down to Prince now. ):

Thanks for the help, I'll make sure I do that. Did they change up science a bit also?

Establishing new cities gives you small science penalty. To my understanding its -5% science for every new city.

On the other hand establishing new cities now rises the cost of the next social policy only 10% and not 15% like before (on standard size map). So building new cities is not as bad for culture as before.

What happens if you have a trade route with a Civ or CS and they declare war on you? Do you automatically lose your caravan/cargo ship?

Do the barbs now use all sorts of strategic resources? I saw someone in another thread saying that a barbarian horseman spawns if he plunders a caravan unit, but in my game I also saw a couple of barbarian swordsmen.

I do not own BNW yet, but I wonder in which tech the French Chateau becomes available. Chivalry, or...?

Do the barbs now use all sorts of strategic resources? I saw someone in another thread saying that a barbarian horseman spawns if he plunders a caravan unit, but in my game I also saw a couple of barbarian swordsmen.

Barbarian Nuclear missiles? :mischief:

Does anyone else not get iron at bronze working? I'm just curious because they said they moved back discover iron to bronze working but for me, it's still at iron working.

I dunno... after Horseback Riding, you have units that are faster than Scouts, cost the same upkeep, and are better in literally every way. And they can't be one-shot killed by just about any unit.

The difference is that you have to research Horseback Riding and be lucky enough to have the resource in your territory, before you can even start building a mounted unit. Scouts are ready to build from the get-go. And early exploration can mean the difference between snagging ruins, or finding a good spot for your second city.

You've got to construct those culture buildings ASAP, and spend your Great A/W/M on a Great Work, instead of a one-time culture boost. It also helps if you pick religious or social tenets that boost your culture from resources near your capital.

Top Bottom