Snake with legs!

The Last Conformist

Irresistibly Attractive
Oldest snake fossil shows a bit of leg

Scientists have found fossils of a legged snake with “hips” – a specimen that could be the most primitive snake ever unearthed. The find suggests early snakes were not creatures of the sea and has reignited the debate over how snakes evolved.

Sebastián Apesteguía at the Argentine Museum of Natural History and his team found the snake fossil in a terrestrial deposit in the Río Negro province of north Patagonia, Argentina, in 2003. Unlike a handful of legged fossils found in marine deposits and identified as snakes over the past decade, the new fossil, named Najash rionegrina, has a well-defined sacrum supporting a pelvis and functional hind legs outside of its ribcage.

The creature's skeletal structure suggests it was evolutionarily closer to its four-legged ancestor than previous fossils. And since the scientists found it in a terrestrial deposit, it is near certain that the animal lived on land.

“This snake is an important addition because it is the first snake with a sacrum. This represents an intermediate morphology that has never before been seen,” says Hussam Zaher, curator of herpetology at the University of São Paulo in Brazil, and part of the research team.

link

Given the interest Tiktaalik spawned, this should interest someone. :)

As a side-note, I don't get Zaher's reasoning that this shows mosasaurs aren't the snakes' closest relatives - it certainly doesn't take away the many similarities in skull and jaw structure between snakes ans mosasaurs. Snakes may very well have diverged from mosasaurs only a little before the later turned to the sea.

Hasn't there been a large amount of snake-like creatures from that general timeframe? I've heard there was a lot of convergent evolution into the snake's body plan.

News? This ain't news.

I had a Dinosaur Top Trumps Set once and there was this thing's ancestor on it. It looked like a giant woodlice and absolutely rocked in the "dated to" category.

But he didn't look as cool as this guy though TLC ;)

Perfection said:
Hasn't there been a large amount of snake-like creatures from that general timeframe? I've heard there was a lot of convergent evolution into the snake's body plan.

Well, animals with snake-like gross morphologies aren't too uncommon (aïstopods and caecilians come to mind), but the snake jaw is rather unique, as far as I understand, the closest thing apparently being mosasaur jaws. Legs have been eliminated convergently in various snake lineages, IIUC. Some even now retain vestigial hind legs (eg. pythons), but they don't have sacra like Najash rionegrina.

A number of snake-like things from Cretaceous have been found in recent years, but AFAIK they're all snake-like on account of being snakes (or close snake relatives, if you want to restrict "snake" to the crown group).

Some modern snakes still have the remnents of legs. Little hocks that are used to grasp on to thier snake mate durring copulation.

I saw images of a fossil on tv lately ... a old half-fish and half-reptile sorta like a crocodile but not intimidating

Top Bottom