1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Sneak Peak 9/01

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nunor

nunor King

2. Temppu

Temppu Warlord

I guess this meme is quite familiar for many in here. For those of us who are not that familiar with the meme, let me briefly summarize one hundred of pages in that thread that I glanced through.

The "Tamar" thread was about a screen capture from a video in an early stage of base game civ vi marketing. In the capture, there were some twenty pictures on a wall, depicting different leaders of civs in the base game, in the alphabetic order of the civs they represent. After some 10 pages of typical Civfanatics CSI, most of the leaders had been identified, but some remained unidentified. One of them was the elusive B5 (fifth face in second row), which was between Germany and Greece, with Pericles and Barbarossa as their leaders. In page 13 of this thread, two civfanatics consequently and indepently suggested that B5 might be Tamar from Georgia. Some fanatics pointed out that Georgia is not exactly between Germany and Greece alphabetically. Regardless of this, numerous other fanatics came in the same conclusion that the leader would be Tamar of Gerorgia. What made this particularly funny was that many of these fanatics made the conclusion indepently, because the Tamar suggestions came with some 2-5 thread pages of other speculation apart, and not everyone always has the time to read such long threads. After all, the thread was about 50 pages long at this point. At some point, people would start jokingly suggesting Tamar, as any trollish fanatic would. In page 68 of the thread, someone mentioned Tamar becoming a meme. In page 76 was mentioned that Tamar might be included in an expansion due to its now established mememity. In page 97 fanatics would ask about the Tamar meme everyone is talking about. At around page 100, my stamina ran out. The thread is over 200 pages long.

The elusive B5 turned out to be the second leader of Greece, Gorgo. No one realized this at least in the 100 pages I read. What was somewhat amusing was that on page 47 were speculations on B5 being alternative leader of Greece, page 51 speculated that B5 was Gorgon, a mythical creature, and on 81 fanatics would even search for Greek historical women as potential leaders. Still, the meme Tamar would retain its popularity over any other speculation on B5, whether the popularity was due to mememity or actual relevancy in history.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  3. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

Zenobia of Palmyra is already getting a fair amount of air time on these forums.

I'd say she's well on her way to being our next break-out star.

4. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Don't forget that the reason Tamar kept coming up was because wikipedia accidentally had Georgia out of place alphabetically on their list of nations.

5. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

And all Civfanatics were too trollish to go ahead and fix the order.

CPWimmer likes this.
  6. empresskiova

empresskiova Warlord

Lol, look man yall post faster than I can read. I dont even try on the these threads anymore :p

Hawke9, Kimiimaro and CivLuvah like this.
  7. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

Italy have already inherited that role.

Duuk likes this.
  8. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

The thread was started four and half an hour ago, I have spent approximately two hours of that not on Civfanatics, meanwhile I have also remained up-to-date with several other threads.

CivLuvah likes this.
  9. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

There was a claim the other day that the forums aren't as active as in times passed. I can't agree when you consider that a thread like this was only created this morning yet is already well on the way to being 20 pages long.

10. raen

raen Coat of Arms

11. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

We're averaging over a post per minute... It's been four and half an hour, that's 270 minutes, and we're past 300 posts already.

SammyKhalifa likes this.
  12. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

It will slow down though. Except if we speculate more on abilities. But the General Discussion thread needs posts too.

13. Josephias

Josephias King

This weekend headlines:

Georgia's government outraged at its country portrayal in an American game: "we do not agree with the portrayal of our people as expansionistic. We are proud to defend or legitimate territory and do not want to be portrayed in the likes of people that have made us suffer as Rome, Perisa, Russia, Mongolia or Turkey"

14. TheSpaceCowboy

TheSpaceCowboy The Gangster of Love

There’s no question: the next meme which we need to rally behind is Godfrey of Outremer.

Let’s make getting him included OUR Crusade!!!

KnightModern, Kimiimaro and nzcamel like this.
  15. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

I'm much more excited for Georgia than Inca, Zulu, OR Ottomans! A nice fresh civ! Hopefully they are as cool as the Cree!

Zaarin likes this.
  16. Gedemo

Gedemo Cacique

So Georgian people will be happy to have their civ included thank to your ...meme.
    Now Devs have spend resources on it, to look like "close to the community (aka some civfanatics who made lobbying (how many exactly?)).
    We'll not have Polynesia or Inuit but...Georgia that most people will never play with. Congratulations guys!:mad:

17. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

If the abilities are cool people will play it.

The actual civ name and leader name are nothing but window dressing after all.

18. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

You go wrong at the point where you think there has been any lobbying, as well as the point where you think variety is a bad thing.

19. Sagax

Sagax Emperor

Ok, if the argument is Georgia vs Polynesia/Inuit, then I’d stick with Georgia...

Leyrann, Hawke9, leandrombraz and 4 others like this.
  20. seancolorado

seancolorado Deity

I am also more excited for a new civ, especially one at the Caucasus, a unique geographic and cultural intersection of the world

Having said that, I only say that because I assume Inca and Ottomans are locks in this expansion, the next or a special DLC pack. Them, coupled with Portugal, the Maya and a West African civ, and I will be happy with even the most Shoshone (obscure) of civs. If we don't get these aforementioned 5, I would be bummed out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.