Snofru's Space Maps

The current one would be 11227...
Time is a scarce resource these days but quickly going over the last SVN updates I don't see anything that would be critical. I also started a quick game with large map no. 1 and it did run a few turns without issue so I'd say everything is fine.

Derp! Sorry about that... that's what I get for posting right before bed.
When I tried using the Large #1 map and raxo's modmod that was recommended for that setting (v40.1 Rescaled Latitude Limits for Large Solar System map) I got an endless stream of XML errors upon trying to start C2C up. Maybe I just need to try again and it was an error on my part.

I hadn't tried Raxo's modmod with the map but I did so now and I don't get the errors, so it must be something on your side. Did you delete the Caveman2Cosmos folder before copying the new SVN version in? Do you run as administrator? Right folder structure ( Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos )?

V40.1 is not compatible any more. If you use the current SVN version, you need the other download from raxo's modmod.

Uuuuugh derp. Thanks you guys, I appreciate it, even though it was incredibly silly of me...

*takes coffee gratefully*

...Y'know what I think I did wrong? I was going to play the "large" map and so I saw the "large" re-scaling, and I saw "Rescaled version is compatible with Snofrus Large space maps". But the only file I saw with both "large" and "rescaled" in its name was the 40.1 one, and I conveniently forgot to see that there was a SVN vs. 40.1 one. So I'll try the standard sized SVN version with a standard map.

Does there happen to be a "large" SVN version of the latitude rescaling? @raxo2222 Or does the "standard" work with both large and standard?

Uuuuugh derp. Thanks you guys, I appreciate it, even though it was incredibly silly of me...

*takes coffee gratefully*

...Y'know what I think I did wrong? I was going to play the "large" map and so I saw the "large" re-scaling, and I saw "Rescaled version is compatible with Snofrus Large space maps". But the only file I saw with both "large" and "rescaled" in its name was the 40.1 one, and I conveniently forgot to see that there was a SVN vs. 40.1 one. So I'll try the standard sized SVN version with a standard map.

Does there happen to be a "large" SVN version of the latitude rescaling? @raxo2222 Or does the "standard" work with both large and standard?
Both Standard and Large are compatible with my latitude rescaling modmod.

Are these static maps? I've started a few new games and always started in the exact same spot of the exact same map. Is there a way to have a space map with a randomized earth map?

Are these static maps? I've started a few new games and always started in the exact same spot of the exact same map. Is there a way to have a space map with a randomized earth map?
Absolutely no - scenarios always have same starting conditions.

Only thing, that can be random is starting locations of players.

Yes, you always start in the same spot. The problem is that there is no map making engine that can automatically produce a space map. Space is not really incorporated into the game so this is just a workaround. But the "earth" parts of the map really are randomly made with a map engine and then were fitted into existing space maps. If you let the civ engine decide where to start you could find yourself somewhere in space (unless something in the code has changed recently).
The options you have is either to use the different maps I have provided or you could go into the xml code of the map and switch start locations by hand.

Ok thanks for the info. I'm not familiar with the map editor, is there a way to randomize the resources? I was using the Large05 and the resources are extremely weird. Lots of the same resource clustered together. On the biggest continent (where the player starts), the player is next to stone and copper but no one else on the continent has access to these extremely important early game resources. I may have missed it, but I also couldn't find tin anywhere on the map at all.

Are these static maps? I've started a few new games and always started in the exact same spot of the exact same map.
It is possible to randomize the starting location in scenarios but you need to make a few changes to the scenario file for it.
You might figure out how with the help of this https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/the-scenario-file-a-dissection.659823/.
If not then I can tell you how to do it when I get time to look into it myself.
If you let the civ engine decide where to start you could find yourself somewhere in space (unless something in the code has changed recently).
Code has changed, I fixed this recently, only earth plots can be used for starting location by the randomizer now.
The fix was not in v41, so @ScubaV need to be on recent SVN for the random starting location to not put players in space on space scenarios.
I'm not familiar with the map editor, is there a way to randomize the resources?
This is also possible to achieve for scenarios with a small change from 0 to 1 in the scenario file.

I was using the Large05 and the resources are extremely weird. Lots of the same resource clustered together. On the biggest continent (where the player starts), the player is next to stone and copper but no one else on the continent has access to these extremely important early game resources. I may have missed it, but I also couldn't find tin anywhere on the map at all.
The resources are distributed just as it was randomly done by the C2C World mapscript. And I have checked, there is Tin on the map, but only one. Having missing resources, especially metals isn't that bad anymore as they can randomly be found by mines in the game and it probably will happen sooner or later, especially if they are rare.

Code has changed, I fixed this recently, only earth plots can be used for starting location by the randomizer now.
The fix was not in v41, so @ScubaV need to be on recent SVN for the random starting location to not put players in space on space scenarios.
Now that is good news! I will change all of my spacemaps accordingly, probably by tomorrow!

This is also possible to achieve for scenarios with a small change from 0 to 1 in the scenario file.
If I set Randomize Resources=1 will that be totally random? Or does it follow rules like in the C2C World mapscript?

Last edited:
@Toffer90
OK, I have changed
Code:
EndMap
BeginPlayer
    StartingX=37, StartingY=50
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
    StartingX=5, StartingY=33
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
    StartingX=56, StartingY=48
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
    StartingX=26, StartingY=41
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
    StartingX=41, StartingY=37
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
    StartingX=38, StartingY=30
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
    StartingX=17, StartingY=27
EndPlayer
BeginPlot
to
Code:
EndMap
BeginPlot
Now my starting point is different to X=37 Y=50 but when I restart the Scenario it is still always the same one! Changing difficulty or number of AI players doesn't change the starting plot. Is this intended?

Now my starting point is different to X=37 Y=50 but when I restart the Scenario it is still always the same one! Changing difficulty or number of AI players doesn't change the starting plot. Is this intended?
Hmm, that's strange, I'll have a look at why that may be tomorrow, may be a bit too deterministic (lacking randomization) , code was probably written without considering scenarios, map script are random so doesn't matter if random starting position is gives same result for the same map every time.
Difficulty should have had an effect of some kind though, another thing to look into.

I have tested the 'Randomize Resources' function and while it seems to work fine on terran tiles there are issues in space. I only got a few resources on the moon (Iron, Titanium, Bauxite) but nothing else outside of earth. Compared to the Large Spacemap in its original setup there are 13 space resources missing. Therefore I can't recommend this function with spacemaps.

Top Bottom