So... no MODS for Mac? NOT True!

Unfortunately with the update to Steam Workshop we have even more challenges, as mods released through Steam Workshop won't work for Mac as, despite early promises way back when it first came out, we're still second class citizens when it comes to mod support.

Result is that mods that don't have their file(s) hosted elsewhere can't even be installed manually on the Mac, as Steam Workshop doesn't give any visible access to the files, and Civ 5 makes no attempt to install them. Anyone know if there's a way to access Steam Workshop or manually install mods hosted on it?

I'm not sure there's any real change for us. We couldn't see mods in the old mods library, and we can't see them in the new Workshop. We have only ever been able to install mods hosted elsewhere, and we have always had to download and install them manually.

The only significant change that I can see is that mods downloaded from the old library used to be in the form of .Civ5Mod files, which were .7z archives by another name. It looks as if mods downloaded from Workshop are saved as folders.

I did look at whether the old mods store could be accessed using an app. It looked promising, but I ran out of time to finish it. I might have another shot at doing it with Steam Workshop.

Fact is, now that they've moved mod support again, and they still didn't deign to give it to Mac users, and in fact made it harder to even use mods, I uninstalled my Mac version today, and will use my Win 7 partition to play Civ V from here on out. If you aren't going to support the game completely for OS X, don't bother porting it, because I'm not paying out the same price as PÇ customers for a partial version.

Support us like Blizzard does; i.e. make a full version with all the tools, including editors if the PC version has them, and I'll buy the Mac version.

... and in fact made it harder to even use mods
In what way is it harder?

If you don't buy G&K, you have to fix a bugged file to display the MODs menu. Yeah, even more runaround. When G&K came,. it should have been changed to work with the Steam Workshop. But no, we're not even given MOD support, and have to work it out on our own again.

I'm just done with being a redheaded stepchild. If you want my money for a Mac version *do the full version*. Don't charge me the same price for less features. If I have to boot into Windows to get the full version, I might as well buy the Windows version and be done with it.

Sorry, Aspyr, but, I'm not buying this 'almost' crap anymore. If you're going to 'almost' port the game, then I should get a discount.

(Edit: Yes, I've been a Mac owner since 1995. I'm just tired of people accepting the current state of affairs. If you're going to support Mac software, then demand that it's done right. If 'greedy' Blizzard can do it, everyone else can. I don't buy this 'unprofitable' BS. If you're going to port the game and leave features out, then leave out some of the price.)

Edit2: I could have accepted that we can't have the tools to make mods, because they're too tied to Windows, but, we can't even have the stuff to download them and interface with Steam Workshop? I think that's just lazy. I mean, it's known that the Mac version can run most mods. So fix it so we can run them all, and hook us into Steam workshop. I'll buy G&K when I see something along those lines, or, when I see it on sale for ten bucks or something. But if I see it for ten bucks, I'll just use it on Windows if it's not fixed. I see no need to support partial ports in this day and age.

If you don't buy G&K, you have to fix a bugged file to display the MODs menu.
A one-off action that you can take to work round a bug that wasn't picked up in testing because mods support has never been part of the test spec for Aspyr.

Presumably this was a rather small straw that broke the camel's back, rather than a major reason for complaint in its own right.

A one-off action that you can take to work round a bug that wasn't picked up in testing because mods support has never been part of the test spec for Aspyr.

Presumably this was a rather small straw that broke the camel's back, rather than a major reason for complaint in its own right.

That may be so, but, it's not the first time I've been unhappy with the state of affairs with Civ V and the Mac version. I was hopeful that G&K would make some difference. Yes, simul-release, but, still, no mod support built in, *even when everyone including Aspyr knows many of the mods work*. I would think that the disclaimer included in even the Windows version when you run mods would cover Aspyr as far as tech support concerning mods, but, instead, they just don't do anything at all. Instead, they put out a partial version of the game, and still charge us full price.

Why get unhappy all over again? There's nothing new here. Aspyr have been absolutely consistent in their lack of support for mods and modding tools ever since they first produced Civ3 Complete.

Why get unhappy all over again? There's nothing new here. Aspyr have been absolutely consistent in their lack of support for mods and modding tools ever since they first produced Civ3 Complete.

Because in Civ 3 days, I didn't have any other options, so I just had to deal. :D I will say at least this time they are patching the game and putting out the expansions, vs the way Civ 3 was before Aspyr took over and did the complete version for Mac. (Which still costs 4 times what the equivalent PC version does. Aspyr/GameAgent Mac version 19.99, Steam Windows version 4.99.)

Now, I do, and was ever hopeful that things could get better.

I've vented, and had my say. I just won't buy G&K till it's really cheap, same as I bought Civ IV. If you (porting house) want me to pay full price for a game, port the whole thing.

If "you" refers to me, I couldn't care less whether you buy it. I have no stake in Aspyr or any other games software company. I just come here for an enormous round-figure salary to try to help poor lost souls work out how to run the stuff.

I guess Aspyr's pricing matches the recent discovery that Mac users get offered more expensive hotel rooms than others. We seem to have a reputation for being prepared to pay more for stuff :)

I think that in fairness, for anyone using Steam you're not paying any extra for the Mac version since it's a Steam Play title (you get it for all platforms at once). At least it was when I bought it.

It's still very disappointing that mod support is non existent though, especially since there is so very little that needs to be done to enable it; the problem is we're simply not getting the files, otherwise the menus all work fine, and so do most mods installed manually. I imagine Steam Workshop works for other Mac titles?

Problem is though that with Steam Workshop being much better than the previous built-in browser, there's less incentive for modders to host the files separately for us Mac users to manually install :(

On the plus side, with the update to Gods and Kings, the Mac version of the game is no longer broken for its own reasons, it's now rife with all the same in-game problems as the PC one :)

Hi Alan H, since you're still popping in (helped me in Mar 2012):

I run the Mac AppStore version = Civ 5 Campaign Edition. I do not have God&Kings purchased, but I did allow AppStore to update me to v. 1.0.1.6.

Now my ~Library/Application Support folder does not have a Civilization V Campaign Edition folder (let alone ~Library/Application Support/Civilization V Campaign Edition/MODS/). And my ~Documents/Aspyr only has a folder for ~Documents/Aspyr/Neverwinter Nights 2.

The only mod I was running was DonQuiche's Ingame Editor (v 27), and I'd like to keep doing so. I tried manually adding folders to my Library, so now it does have Library/Application Support/Civilization V Campaign Edition/MODS/, but the game does not seem to recognize anything at that location.

Any help?

Cheers.

Found a fix on another thread:

FOR ANYONE WHOSE INSTALLED MODS DO NOT APPEAR WITH v. 1.0.1.6:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=11586367#post11586367

Specifically, add two hyphens, '--', at the start of line 33 35 in the following file to comment it out:

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilization v/assets/UI/FrontEnd/MainMenu.lua

I open up the necessary folders and arrive at main menu, but there is no .lua file available for opening. Suggestions?

Hi welcome :wavey:

When you say you "arrive at main menu", what do you mean? Also, if your Mac Civ5 has been patched to the latest version (1.0.12.674), then the assets folder has disappeared inside the Civ5 application bundle. See item 11 in the FAQ main post.

Am running regular Civ 5, no G&K but post-patch. So I've followed the various instructions and managed to get the MODS button on the main menu activated, and get the MODS folder recognized apparently.

One mod I've used in the past (CivWilliard, a fairly simple UI mod) shows up in the mods menu, and works perfectly. However I also downloaded and extracted the VEM and CivUp mods, put them in the same place (MODS folder), but they do not appear on the menu.

Is this because they have folders within the main folder that the menu doesn't read them? I even tried replacing the InstalledPanel.xml file a second time, same result. Any thoughts?

Which version are you running? Mac App Store or Steam?

You didn't give a link, but I've downloaded this file, expanded it into a folder called CivUp and copied the folder to ~/Library/Application Support/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS/

When I launch Civ5 and select Mods, I see the mod I've highlighted in the screenshot. As far as I know i've only done the things that are listed in the FAQ.

Attachments

• CivUp.jpg
    CivUp.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 223
Well, tried your link and it totally...worked. What I was actually trying to use was a combo of CivUp and Vanilla Enhanced (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=19494&act=down), which I retried and it now shows up too! I think the key was downloading it all into a new folder: before I transferred the two folders separately into MODS and somehow some the components weren't there.

Many thanks, you're such a great resource! :)

Top Bottom