So... Who's Idea Was it to Have Nimoy do the Voiceovers?

Oh yeah -

Speaking of Spock -

Star Trek 2.0 is on G4. Kinda cool. I remember staying up until the wee hours of the morning to watch the show in 7 - 8th grade. It came on around 11:30. Whoda'thunk back then we would be playing a game like Civ IV 25 years later narrated by the likes of Nimoy. Imagine if someone walked up to him and explained to him back then he would be narrating games on this thing called a "computer".

Back to Star Trek 2.0 . . . .

ChrTh said:
He grew up three blocks from here.

(Ok, seriously, if anyone gets this reference I'll be uber-impressed)

Leonard Nimoy does the voice naration for a planetarium show and says that he grew up three blocks from there. It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure it's the Boston planetarium, although it could also be Baltimore. It's been a while...

Gazurtoid said:
They were originally considering to use Rip Taylor for the voices. Be thankful they changed their mind and used Nimoy.

Rip Taylor or Rip Torn?

Taylor is mostly a voice actor famous for scooby doo and he also had bit parts in a bunch of movies.

Rip Torn, on the other hand, is a very fine actor from Men in Black to Heartland - a role that could have won him an oscar if more people had seen it. He has a very distinctive voice. Nimoy was a better choice, though.

I think they should have got the originmal voices of those who made the quote...

sure there would have to be some zombie reanimation goin on, but thats the fun of making a game :) and rulling the world with your zombie army...

jabrams007 said:
Leonard Nimoy does the voice naration for a planetarium show and says that he grew up three blocks from there. It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure it's the Boston planetarium, although it could also be Baltimore. It's been a while...

:thumbsup: That's close enough for government work. Boston Museum of Science (which also has a planetarium) IMAX intro film.

...I saw waaaaay too much IMAX when I was living in Boston.

I actualy found Nimoy's voice to be very annoying. I disable voice now because it really took me out of the gameplay. It's kind of weird to be playing Civilization, then to have this booming voice say a quote which isn't always too appealing or sophisticated.

The best thing Nimoy did for me was direct Three Men and A Baby.

It's not the Nimoy I'd prefer to hear. His voice has closed up, become dark and muffled compared to back in the Olden Dayes. A very similar thing happened to Greg Lake of Emerson Lake and Palmer. *sigh*

Let's all of us split the cost of hiring James Earl Jones to remake the narrations -- whaddayasay, hm?

I rather like Nimoy's narration. The only person who could have done better would be Ian Mckellen (sp) Also I miss the Civ 2 style Wonder movies. Especially the Shakespeare's theatre one.

Agreed on the wonder movies. The new ones feel like filler compared to the legacy. Nicely made, but not so inspiring. Not that I'm complaining too much -- I usually leave movies off, so my opinion on this ought not to carry a lot of weight. ;-)

Has anyone listened to "The War of the Worlds" album by Jeff Wayne ?

Richard Burton COULD narrate...alas.......

Shatner... Harr! Harr!

"If... You chase TWO rabbits... You... WILL loose them both."

Personally, I like the Nemoy VOs... Of the the alternatives suggested in this thread, both Sean Connery and Patrick Stewart would have been interesting, but I bet they'd cost a lot more.

I heard the first choice was actually Crack-Head Bob but he prefers to stay out of the limelight these daze.

Gailainne said:
Has anyone listened to "The War of the Worlds" album by Jeff Wayne ?

Richard Burton COULD narrate...alas.......
"In the beginning, the Earth was without form, and void...

But the Sun shone upon the sleeping Earth...

And no one would have believed that in the last years of the nineteenth century..."

Shatner+Civ4= lol

James Earl Jones would be the best.

I like the Leonard Nimoy voiceovers. It adds a certain touch of class.

Eternalsteelfan said:
James Earl Jones would be the best.

Oh yeah! :cool:

Top Bottom