Soda I - Jumping to Monarch

I wouldnt hurrry to settle near the AI... we have a good UU for early conquest and we will simply conquer AI's cities. We should first settle the good sites.

I don't like the current red city dot. Way too close to the capital. The health bonus for being on the fresh water isn't worth overlapping that many tiles in my opinion. I'd consider settling one of the desert squares north between the gold and the cow. You automatically get 2 foot in the city square and make it a usuable tile. Or settle on the coast for an eventual harbor for health bonus.

I'm gonna play on then. Be back soon with a write-up.

0. 3430BC Press Enter.
2. 3370BC ...
IBT Buddha began His teachings far, far away.
3. 3340BC ...
IBT Persy grows.
5. 3280BC Scout sees a lion and runs into the bushes.
IBT Lion attacks and loses
6. 3250BC ...
IBT Warrior trained, started on worker for 15 turns.
7. 3220BC Warrior sent south.
IBT Cathy says hello. Finished Animal Loving, started on Bronze .
9. 3160BC ...
IBT Wolf charges a scout and loses.
10. 3130BC Promoted scout to Woodsman.
11. 3100BC Woodsman spots a grizzly and goes off in another direction... right next to another bear, :eek:
IBT Bear tears Woodsman a new one :lol:
12. 3070BC Warrior sees a lion.
IBT Lion attacks and loses.
15. 2980BC Scout sees a lion.
IBT Lion attacks and loses, then a wolf appears out of nowhere and finishes the job.
17. 2920BC ...
IBT Warrior attacked by a hidden wolf and lives to tell the tale.
18. 2890BC Warrior sent home for milk and cookies, saving the promotion for later.
IBT Persy's borders pop.
20. 2830BC Saved.

There are 2 horse resources, neither of which are very close.

Also, Cathy is under the fog to the NW of us; I found her after I took these shots. Those cows and gold resources are gonna be taken soon.

So far I've been watching and trying to learn. My opinion at this time is to go to the SW of our capital and go for the horses and stone with the next city. This picture is SW of our capital:

[/URL][/IMG]

Our civ is the turquoise in the picture's upper right. I think this might be in the "area" of a good choice since Calender is a ways off; The other horse location to the NE of our capitol has three plantation spots.

If you wish I could start play on the next turns in about eight hours of this post. I do have the download. You decide and please offer advice.

How bad is leaving a gap between cities in your experience?

the gap is not the problem, the problem is the maintanance costs from the distance to the capital. your spot is nice cus of the foodplains, but doesnt take the cow and rice. but maybe its okay if we would like to take a 3rd city with it.

There's the maintenance cost, there's also infrastructure. We got to work a road all that way. Troops take time to get back and forth, making it hard to defend.

Maybe we could build up a small force of archers or axes, then just take the first city the AI found on the horses.

Our worker will be finished in 2 turns. Let's vote on what we want to build next: a settler to expand in 25 turns; or barracks in 30 turns to take over the enemy city with the horses using axemen and archers like retro V has suggested? That's a lot of turns to be heading the wrong direction so I would like to know what you think is best.

Plus what research do you think is needed the most next? I would think that the wheel should be next for immortals and roads. And then pottery to get closer to being able to use our creative leadership ability if we build a settler. Or we go archery and ??? if we axe our way to the horses.

Please show me your advice and I'll get under way. I'll be finished with moves for sure in 14 hours. That will be after my job and reading your suggestions.

Wheel, then we need to probably start a settler incase we don't have bronze in our borders. By the time we could get a settler there, Monty will probably have the horses to the southwest. The Immortals won't be unstoppable for long, so if we want to use them, we need to get them soon.

You need men out fogbusting, cos barbs start appearing now. Sort a settler out once you convert to slavery. The settler is important, but takes too long, whip it. Keep up militarily. And I'll repeat what I said before, the second city should go for the gold. Others have disagreed, but we need to actively increase research speed.

Also, heading towards alphabet is good. We can extract techs in peace treaties then. :satan:

Overall I went with the military advice and started research on the wheel.
1. 2800BC--promoted warrior to woodsman I.

2. 2770BC--The worker is finished and I started work on barracks (30 turns). Worker starts farming the corn field. I heal the warrior.

3. 2740BC--There is a lion nearby to the se.

4. 2710BC--I move the warrior to the nearest jungle to watch the lion.

5. 2680BC--Lion is still nearby. Warrior will hang out in the jungle hoping the lion will come at him.

6. 2650BC--uneventful.

7. 2620BC--Scout runs into a lion way up north and barely survives. .3 health :D

8. 2590BC-- Promote scout to woodsman I and begin healing him quickly.

9. 2560BC--uneventful.

10. 2530BC--Corn is finished. Worker heads towards the cows. Worker hopes he steps in no cow pies. :lol:

11. 2500BC--Bronze is finished. Axemen do your job! :p Started a revolution and adopted slavery (1 turn). Began research on the wheel. Worker begins the cow pasture cautiously. :lol:

12. 2470BC--uneventful.
[/IMG]

13. 2440BC--Scout is healed. Lion is nearing our worker at the cow pasture.

14. 2410BC--uneventful

15. 2380BC--Wonder if I should go after that pesky lion but not while he's defended well in the terrain. I could provoke him though.
[/IMG]

16. 2350BC--uneventful.

17. 2320BC--Finish work on the cow pasture. 6 turns until the wheel.

18. 2290BC--Worker chops nearest forest (5 turns). Barracks are due in 7 turns. Will have carryover for the axemen. Warrior is still protecting our worker.

19. 2260BC--uneventful.

20. 2230BC--uneventful. Saved game.
We are 3 turns from finishing the forest chop, the wheel, and the barracks.

Our scout is way up north and to the west of our capitol. He might be a bit out of position but is doing his job methinks. I decided to build the barracks all the way instead of a warrior since the axemen will be much more useful and we do have two warriors at the moment. I hope that is "keeping-up" militarily. If it wasn't, please let me know. The corn field and the cow pasture both need a route right away. Critique of my play is very welcome. Next batter please!

Ok, I haven't figured this out yet: How do I upload the saved game to this message board? I have uploaded the saved game to the "manage attachments" area of this forum but don't know how to insert it into the message itself.

Looks like I figured it out.

Aquar, good turnset. But why are you wasting trees when you got slavery to help finish off builds? Unless those forests are outside of the fat cross, then just ignore me :) Myself, I would have whipped the barracks and a settler if possible during your last 10 turns. With the improved cows and corn, Persy will grow back in no time.

Top Bottom