Somebody blew up America

Exsanguination

No longer here
http://diversity.uoregon.edu/SomebodyBlewUpAmerica.htm

I was watching CNN and heard a bit about a poet laureate in NJ who is being reprimanded for reciting the poem "Somebody Blew Up America". They condemned it as anti-Semitic. While certain verses may be, for some reason I think it was directed at a different audience :rolleyes:.

Regardless, while flagrantly shocking, rude, and disturbing, I find this poem one of the most poignant ones I have ever read. It oversteps every boundary (and also makes some wild accusations); as well as citing some odd things (ie "who started the Reichstag fire"). It may not be perfect, but it is one of the best pieces of literature I have read in a long, long time.

I think it should become required reading for high schoolers in America. Make them think a little.

--Ex

Interesting. I hardly think I'd say it was the best I'd read, though. Even if I agreed with it. But that's just me. I'm not exactly sure WHO the poem is aimed at. It seems to be suggesting America or whoever is one entity as if it were one person.

Originally posted by Exsanguination

I think it should become required reading for high schoolers in America. Make them think a little.

Why? Most of them already think like that poem once they're attending Activist U..er, college, anyhow.

Yes, about proper technique in composition. :mischief: ;)

Make them think about how painfully obvious some people can be when trying to shove revisionist politics down their throats? I think most of them would just sleep through it.

I know I did.

Perhaps I should make a separate thread, in fact I will: Mumia Abu-Jamal

Why make high-schoolers read it? Its a poignant (yes, I like that word), and inquisitive poem that can spur a good conversation with anyone who has half a head on them (for some reason I think a couple of you left your at the bedside this morning :rolleyes: ). Read it, think about it, research it if you want. But don't go off talking about "revisionist politics" and communism until you know what the hey you are talking about. :D

--Ex

Why make high-schoolers read it? Its a poignant (yes, I like that word), and inquisitive poem that can spur a good conversation with anyone who has half a head on them (for some reason I think a couple of you left your at the bedside this morning :rolleyes: ).

Eh. It's not particularly well-written. It's inflammatory. That may spur conversation, but not its poignancy. :cooool: It may be partly true, and heck, it may be mostly true, but the manner in which it's presented isn't going to achieve the goal it is (presumably) set to achieve, unless it's just trying to achieve annoyance and misunderstanding.

Originally posted by Becka
It's not particularly well-written. It's inflammatory. That may spur conversation, but not its poignancy. :cooool: It may be partly true, and heck, it may be mostly true, but the manner in which it's presented isn't going to achieve the goal it is (presumably) set to achieve, unless it's just trying to achieve annoyance and misunderstanding.
:goodjob: Yeah, what she said.
Just want to add my two cents to the initial post though:

Read it, think about it, research it if you want.
Funny how you make reading a requirement, but research optional.
The 'poem' is filled with half-truths stuck in a single line stanze. Why would anyone want to spend half their free time researching that barrage of accusations?

Its a poem designed to capture every banner the hate-America crowd has ever marched under in 500 words or less. If you hate America (excuse me, American policy :rolleyes: ), then you'll find something you like. If you're American, you're likely to wonder what the 'poet' does as a day job, and imagine that no matter how miserable they are at it, they shouldn't consider quitting it.

But don't go off talking about "revisionist politics" and communism until you know what the hey you are talking about.
:hmm: You don't think I know what I'm talking about?

Oooooh.

Seems the author decided white people are the Devil, terrorists, and every other bad thing in the world. Doesn't seem to revolutionary to me. Just took 9/11 and said it was the general audience's (I'm assuming whites) fault.

So, let's recap: Bush, the government, Jews, and what seem to be white people are Satan and the rulers of Hell.

:rolleyes: This person is doing it for shock effect. This poem won't be remembered in 10 years.

I just thought it was poorly written and ineffective (not that poetry need be well written to be effective). It didn't grab my interest at all - it was boring enough that I only read half of it. Maybe there was a big finish that I missed? I certainly wouldn't waste any time researching it, and I wouldn't recommend that any young people be forced to read it...

I just spent twenty people writing a rejoinder, in verse. It wasn't hard, especially since so many of the "who" statements could be turned around to share the blame together: who sold the slaves? Well, we both did. Who made money from Saudi Arabia? Well, that would be both sides. Who overthrew Bishop? Well, depending on which Bishop, that would be the brothers, man. But then I realised that if I actually posted, I'd be forever denounced as a racist for saying such outrageous things as recounting a balanced history from the other side.

Pity.

R.III

P.S. Couldn't help but laugh at the "locked up Dashell Hammett" bit. That's creative! And "who blew up the Maine?" Well, that would be a faulty boiler... go figure.

The British forced opium on the Chinese. And nobody knows who blew up the main. This guy may need some more reasearch

Quadruple post! Are you that desperate for more posts? :D

Top Bottom