1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Soundtrack Revisions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by Praetyre, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

There is a Gods of War track with just the music somewhere... I have it on my computer somewhere among my thousands of tracks.

2. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

Is there anyways you and Praetyre can get together then maybe some might make it in, thx.

3. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

4. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

1. The links are broken.

2. IDK how 0ad licences their music, so you might want to check that first.

5. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

1. You have to right click and save as.

2. Well it says this ...

The question is what is the CC BY-SA?

EDIT: Found it ....

CC BY-SA
    http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

Tell me if I am wrong but it looks like we are fine as long as we give credit. Plus we are not using it for commercial gain either. Plus anything on CFC can be used by anyone.

6. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

Oh, its Creative Commons, specifically Attribution and Share Alike, meaning we have to give them credit and share it as CC BY-SA.

7. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Isn't that more or less what the CFC forum is all about? Their policy is that anything on CFC can be used by anyone as long as you give credit. So it seems like we already are following the Creative Commons rules.

8. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Apparently what I thought was a musical only version of Gods of War was not - just took longer to get to the singing (which is more of a chanting style nordic battle hymn than anything). Ah well... for some few songs I don't mind some vocals in it for background music. But since we're talking about Civ I don't mind omitting any.

Tell you what though, as stated, I have a really big library of music. I'd be happy to go through it all at some point and pick some winners - I have a lot of movie music soundtrack stuff (including some star wars tracks which could be cool for Galactic Era) BUT I wouldn't be able to promise any of it would be license free. Since we're presenting a 'free' mod though, that shouldn't be a problem should it?

9. Bohb Daishi

Bohb Daishi Chieftain

These tracks Definitely sound like civ material.

At the end of the day, what's the likelihood that any new music will make its way from the SVN to v28?

10. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

How does 100% sound to ya??

11. Bohb Daishi

Bohb Daishi Chieftain

Sounds awesome!!! :D :D :D

No pun intended :rolleyes:

12. matt1975

matt1975 Chieftain

So is there an xml file available to integrate the soundtrack files into the game? I could probably write a stupid little VBA script to build the xml, but why bother if someone already has the magic... ;-)

13. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

AIAndy already did that, he wrote a python music script back at the start of the year that does just that. It automatically triggers on load.

14. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

Indeed. There are some folders in the soundtrack folder that are named something like era name + New. When you drop some music files in there, they are automatically added when you start or load a game (requires restart to take effect though).

15. matt1975

matt1975 Chieftain

Cool... Looking at it now. Will it regenerate the xml files if I erase them?

16. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

Unfortunately only adding works at the moment, so best keep an unchanged version of the XML files around.

17. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

18. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

I am really enjoying the new music. Is there a list of all the new tracks and what they are from?

19. Praetyre

Praetyre King

I actually made a list a a while back of all the new tracks I added, but that's back when each era had 20 new tracks rather than 100, and not all of them were royalty free. I can still give you one for these, though (italics means that these are tracks already in the Civ4 game files, just rearranged exclusively to this era);

Prehistoric
    Ancient Soundtrack 1/Unknown (these really are a lot more Prehistoric than Ancient. Take a listen to the ancient music folder under Civ4's folder and see)
    Ancient Soundtrack 2/Unknown
    Ancient Soundtrack 3/Unknown
    Ancient Soundtrack 4/Unknown
    Doodle God Main Theme/Badim (theme of a little flash/iPhone game revolving around combining game elements to create a diverse world)
    Doodle God 2 Main Theme/Badim (ditto, but for it's sequel)
    Populous The Beginning Track 1/Mark 'TDK' Knight (track has no actual name AFAIK, so it's just titled PTBA since I don't think numbers can be valid inputs into the soundtrack folders)
    Populous The Beginning Track 2/Mark 'TDK' Knight
    Populous The Beginning Track 3/Mark 'TDK' Knight
    Populous The Beginning Track 4/Mark 'TDK' Knight
    Populous The Beginning Track 5/Mark 'TDK' Knight
    Populous The Beginning Track 6/Mark 'TDK' Knight
    Sandbox of God Track 1/Unknown (a little independent freeware game similar to the popular GROW series, which involves placing various elements in various eras in various orders to build a prosperous and civilized world)
    Sandbox of God Track 2/Unknown
    Sandbox of God Track 3/Unknown
    Sandbox of God Track 4/Unknown
    Sandbox of God Track 5/Unknown
    Sandbox of God Track 6/Unknown
    The Pre History Channel/Greg Turner (soundtrack from a relatively obscure but wonderful golden age platformer by the name of Gex: Enter the Gecko. In it, the reptilian protagonist is hired by an M16-type agency to infiltrate the Media Dimension and stop the minions of the cyborg overlord Rez, and he visits various levels based on media stereotypes, such as Toon Town, the Scream Channel, Kung Fu Takeout and the Sci Fi Channel. One of which is based on the Flintstones and 1,000,000 BC, and this track happens to feature all of the tracks played during the Pre History Channel levels)
    Ancient
    Ambient Winds/Douglas Irvine (found it while looking for Ancient Egyptian music. It truly fits beautifully as the first track of the Ancient era, as much as the Black and White track Citadel unintentionally does for Prehistoric)
    CivIIIAncMidEast/Unknown (found and repurposed from Warlords soundtrack folder)
    DipASEarlyPeace/Unknown
    DipASEarlyWar/Unknown
    DipASLatePeace/Unknown
    DipASLateWar/Unknown
    DipMEEarlyPeace/Unknown
    DipMEEarlyWar/Unknown
    DipASLatePeace/Unknown
    DipASLateWar/Unknown
    DipNAEarlyPeace/Unknown
    DipNAEarlyWar/Unknown
    DipNALatePeace/Unknown
    DipNALateWar/Unknown
    Hammurabi's Code/Unknown/ (A Civ II track, as it happens)
    Harvest of the Nile/Unknown (ditto)
    Hymn for the Sunrise/Alo Jihad Racy (another one from YouTube searches for Ancient Egyptian music. Apparently it was composed for the King Tutankhamun exhibit in the Seattle Art Museum in 1978, so it might be the oldest tracks short of the classical ones in either this or the full version of my soundtrack pack)
    Mesoamerican Track 1/Unknown (I think this is repurposed from Civ III's Mesoamerican scenario, but I'm not certain. Found it in Warlords' soundtrack folder)
    Mesoamerican Track 2/Unknown (ditto)
    Tenochtitlan Revealed/Unknown (Another Civ II track. Though one could make a case for the Aztecs being Classical save for their metallurgy)
    Classical
    Aristotles Pupil/Unknown (another one from Civ II)
    Augustus Rises/Unknown (ditto)
    CivIIIMidAfrica/Unknown (Warlords' soundtrack folder strikes again)
    CivIIIMidAmerican/Unknown (ditto)
    Gautama Ponders/Unknown (Civ II)
    Shining Path/Unknown (luckily, this has nothing to do with guerilla warfare)
    UN//Unknown (Warlords again)

dmd175 likes this.
  20. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Nice. I recognized the Populous III and Civ II tracks.

Do you have any Age of Empires (I, II or III) tracks? Those would be good to include. Same goes for games like Pharaoh of the City Building Series. In fact the Empire Earth series might be a good source as well.