Space Armarda; Testing and Modmaking #1

Hmm... I don't think he'd be allowed to. They're still decades away, so he'll probably be dead, but seems too broad (thank God/god(s)). Like, I don't think you could patent "computers" is you came up with 'em. If he did, I'd be pissed. First quantum computer: $3,000 to make; market price: $30,000 (excessive increase care of Microsoft co.)...

Sorry for all the OTin' SM :p...

Thats Ok, its prety on topic as far as I can tell. :)

I'd probably use quantum computers as a kind of literature tech, giving a library improvement, but also as a gateway tech, being needed to move on towards the creation of nano technology and the second era.

Sword_Of_Geddon, the quantum computer you are talking about is also a possability, but not any time soon, it could be a second or third era tech, "Quantum-dimentional computer". If you've read the book "timeline" by the guy who did jurasic park, they use this kind of dimensional computer, working on the idea that the other "nearly identical" universes are atempting the same thing.

That would assume that

1. There are "Nearly Indentical" Universes/Diamensions in existance. Why do we assume every universe has the same laws of physics? They could be utterly alien to us...

2. That the different computer counterparts in these other Diamensions are able to impliment/use the other for calculations. Even something like a different quantum signiture could prevent the computer's from "interfacing"

Well, its the idea that as well as being infinite, the universe is also infinitely multitudinous in its permutations, as well as size and time. So that the big bang could be just a local rebirth, and that our own universe would have been expressed an infinate number of times, in an infinate veriaty of possible variations before, and will be after our own has burnt out or colapsed.

So if you could open a tiny gateway to one or more of these universes, you could combine your efforts. At the same time they would be linking to another reality, which in turn was linked... ad infinatum. This would take a great deal of energy to open this gateway, but would offer potentialy infinate computing power! :)

This is realy just science fiction, but is one of the ideas that could be expressed in later eras.

Yeah, if there are infinite dimension, each slightly to immensly different than ours, then there would be ones that are only a photon or molecule off. Never heard the idea before, but it sounds freaky.

so something like parallel universes or the brane theory? The brane theory is about that the universe has existed forever and will exist forever, but after a trillion years from the "big bang" the 2 branes colide at a certain spot to release enormous emounts of energy to fill the 2 universes with large quantities of matter. it is a never ending cycle with big bang firestorm -> star filled era -> gravitational attraction of the branes-> big bang firestorm... this was first sugested because scientists were complaining about the big bang model getting too ugly with inflation, dark energy/matter etc.

How a Quantum Computer works.
How Teleportation works.
How holographic memory works.
How DNA computers work.
How time travel works.

EDIT: Fixed

Would this be good for genetic engineering?

Attachments

• DNA.jpg
    DNA.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 156
Smoking mirror said:
Well, its the idea that as well as being infinite, the universe is also infinitely multitudinous in its permutations, as well as size and time. So that the big bang could be just a local rebirth, and that our own universe would have been expressed an infinate number of times, in an infinate veriaty of possible variations before, and will be after our own has burnt out or colapsed.

So if you could open a tiny gateway to one or more of these universes, you could combine your efforts. At the same time they would be linking to another reality, which in turn was linked... ad infinatum. This would take a great deal of energy to open this gateway, but would offer potentialy infinate computing power! :)

This is realy just science fiction, but is one of the ideas that could be expressed in later eras.

It's all science fiction, and you gotta break the rules or the universe becomes a very uninhabitable and boring place.

I don't know, seems pretty exciting to me (when you think about the extremes)... Just boring for us, since we exist at very low energies; everythings slow, cold, and dull. Science fiction is cool though, and frequently it's right (was anyway).

I heard about something called a Quantum Drive somewhere. It has to do with using Black Holes as a way to enter other universes. Its similiar to the Quantum Diamensional Computer talked about above, basically, this assumes theres another black hole in the destination universe. The Ship(somehow avoiding being destroyed by the black hole and trapped in temporal status), enters the Black Hole, using the Black Hole's suction to go faster than light, and exits the second black hole, escaping its gravity.

I'm not sure how you could use this in your mod though Smoke.

Bluemofia said:
Would this be good for genetic engineering?

Yeah that looks good, Is it from anywhere or did you make it yourself? Its always good to know the origin of graphics, so we can mention it in credits. Keeps every one happy.

Since the map is only the surrounding 12 LYears and stars (may make it 20 LYs for the giga map) there isn't going to be any black holes on the map (lucky for us the nearest black hole is a long way away!) :) so black hole travel would be prety difficult.

Theres lots of different thories about how many dimentions and realities there are. I think its important though to emphasize the difference between a dimention (like up-down, left-right, forward-backward) and realities, (which are more like local univereses in a global multiverse).

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
I heard about something called a Quantum Drive somewhere. It has to do with using Black Holes as a way to enter other universes. Its similiar to the Quantum Diamensional Computer talked about above, basically, this assumes theres another black hole in the destination universe. The Ship(somehow avoiding being destroyed by the black hole and trapped in temporal status), enters the Black Hole, using the Black Hole's suction to go faster than light, and exits the second black hole, escaping its gravity.

I'm not sure how you could use this in your mod though Smoke.

Interesting idea, but wouldn't kinetic energy prevent it from moving past the speed of light (i.e. too much speed from energy, and it'll get to dense and become a black hole itself)? I think Wormholes are probably safer/more managable.

I think the theory has to due with the assumption that the ship has a means to convert to energy in order to travel at such speeds.

Theres also Space Folding, basically, instead of moving somewhere, you make where you want to go come to you. I find this method disturbing after seeing the movie Event Horizon though..... :satan:

Smoking mirror said:
Yeah that looks good, Is it from anywhere or did you make it yourself? Its always good to know the origin of graphics, so we can mention it in credits. Keeps every one happy.

Ok. i got it from http://www.elftrance.com/Downloads/MC-DNA.jpg found it with google. just shrank it and cropped it.

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
Theres also Space Folding, basically, instead of moving somewhere, you make where you want to go come to you.
Sounds like A Wrinkle in Time. That book is really... odd :crazyeye:
Supposedly, a tesseract was a 5th dimensional connection between 2 points which when used caused space-time to fold in on itself until the points nearly met. Or something like that, I was about 12 when I read it. :rolleyes:

Wormholes? Maybe there could be a kind of Stargate thing in the last age. I'dont know how it could be incorperated though.

Top Bottom