Space Armarda; Testing and Modmaking #1

I remember SM talking about that in the other thread; can't remember exactly how it was set up, but I think wormholes were airports, and airdropping units were units capable of making on-board wormholes...

Despite the preceding problem, I got it fixed (Analyzer had been messing up my .pcx's; and all this time I thought FLICster hated me, yay for Infranview). I think my last problem was missed, but I can't believe how easy it was to fix. ANYWAY, I got it finished in just an hour or so after I fixed that problem. It's posted below... Finally (took me long enough).

Attachments

• PringlesShip.zip
    336.8 KB · Views: 84
why don't we just invent an alternate dimension that faster than speed of light travel is possible? something like the universe with the properties reversed, because it would look really nice mathimatically, a "positive" universe (ours) and a "negative" universe (that one) ex: speed of light travel is possible, disorder decreases with time, etc.

If we had a system like test of time, wher you can have multiple maps then having alternative realities with different natures would be an exelent idea, but unfortuately Civ III cant handle that idea. :(

A Viking Yeti said:
Despite the preceding problem, I got it fixed (Analyzer had been messing up my .pcx's; and all this time I thought FLICster hated me, yay for Infranview). I think my last problem was missed, but I can't believe how easy it was to fix. ANYWAY, I got it finished in just an hour or so after I fixed that problem. It's posted below... Finally (took me long enough).

Ah that perfect. Just the right size, and the pallette is just right. The animations are great too.

I've got a few units finished, and am also doing some tech icons. Heres afew I've been working on, I'm not sure which versions to use. There are two version of each, asteroid minning and optical networks;

Attachments

• techs.gif
    techs.gif
    44.5 KB · Views: 206
Check page two for a list of which techs I have got Tech icons for.

Here are Super capitalism and Credit networks;

Attachments

• techs2.gif
    techs2.gif
    22.4 KB · Views: 185
It would be awsome to have multiple maps, but I've never played test of time, so I'm not sure how they work really. For the icons, I like the second version of both, they look good (both versions look good, but the second is the best, IMHO). And glad you like the unit :D.

TO Bluemofia: Um... Aside from the assumption that time would flow backwards in an alternate "negative" universe, wouldn't the whole action-reaction thing work backward too? Like, instead of jetting out energy in some form for a drive, the drive would have to work backward to make the ship move forward in an alternate dimension. Also, gravitational pull, kinetic energy amounts, magnetic/sub-nucleon forces would all work backward, so any "positive" matter would tear itself apart as near as I can tell. I think the only concievable way would be to convert yourself to energy... Just some thoughts :).

hmm good idea, I don't know that could be incorporated though. That's always been something that has kind of bugged me- that you can instantly talk to another civ across an ocean or give orders to a unit deep in enemy territory, even in the ancient age.
But anyway, within the limits of the game, there's not much you can do with communication, unless you allow communications trading or embassies with it or something like that.

OdintheKing and some other people realeased quite a few Futuristic Tech Icons awile back, just to let you know SM..

So Civ2 also had two expansions...interesting. I think Civ3 could use another expansion, to remove the 31 civ cap, among other things.

Among a lot of other things... I wonder if Civ 4 will have any of those (namely better AI strategy flags... That would be great).

All this talk about space mods is almost making me want to make one! If I weren't so lazy, I actually might :p... To practice my modelling skills though, I made several ship models (all early units, don't think you could use 'em). With all the models I'm making, I might make a space mod just for the fun of it.

On topic, will the settler unit in this mod build space stations, or are you going to use the planet idea (i.e. will build a planet instead of a city)? I was thinking about this, and the planet idea seems kinda funny, but if solar space is land, and the space station idea was used, what's to stop them from building a city in empty space? Low productiong, food, and trade maybe...? Just wondering.

A Viking Yeti said:
Among a lot of other things... I wonder if Civ 4 will have any of those (namely better AI strategy flags... That would be great).

All this talk about space mods is almost making me want to make one! If I weren't so lazy, I actually might :p... To practice my modelling skills though, I made several ship models (all early units, don't think you could use 'em). With all the models I'm making, I might make a space mod just for the fun of it.

On topic, will the settler unit in this mod build space stations, or are you going to use the planet idea (i.e. will build a planet instead of a city)? I was thinking about this, and the planet idea seems kinda funny, but if solar space is land, and the space station idea was used, what's to stop them from building a city in empty space? Low productiong, food, and trade maybe...? Just wondering.

Yeah, I'm going to use the space station idea. As I've said before, you could build a space station in deep space but it wouldn't recieve any solar power (any stars are too far away) and would have to have all its requirements shipped to it by space craft. If the ststion failed to receive even one shipment it would mean the death of all on board, so you'd have to have a real good reason for building a station out in deep space. Perhaps a extrasolar planet (one that has broken free of a solar system and drifted in to deep space), but then the planet would have a ring of "coast" around it, so sea settlers wouldn't be needed. Also I've heard that the AI will not deal with sea settlers. :(

If you make any early era units they can be used for UUs, so feel free to post them. :D

you could make the map somewhat archipelago, with the inter stellar/galactic void as ocean/sea, and the area near stars as Land, and the ort cloud that scientists theorize that lies beyond every solar system for a long distance as coast.

All of these have been modelled, but not animated (yet :D). They're in order from earliest to latest, if you want me to tell you what I might use 'em for, that's fine, but I think it'd better suit your purposes to just use 'em however. None have been put in the animator, so some aren't from the right angle, and none are to scale yet (though that should be about there size, the earlier units will be small). Also, some of them are pointing a bit off, so they aren't all necessarily pointing the toward the SW direction.

Attachments

• preview.gif
    preview.gif
    6.1 KB · Views: 159
Weasel Op said:
No, the AI won't use sea settlers, it's been thoroughly tested. :( So cities will only be able to be built on planet tiles, right? And the type of planet will only determine the amount of sunlight/minerals/gasses it supplies? Will they be built on asteroids? It could happen, but it could be dangerous.

The AI also won't settle on single square islands, so in the mod land tiles are solar system space, while sea tiles are deep space. You don't actualy settle on the planets (you can, but you waste any extra production, trade and food that would be gained) but near by, and use your cultural influence to maintain control over the very important planet tiles.

Heres some more techs, I'm in the middle of trawling through all the other future techs people have posted, but most of them are aimed at land based games. where as most of the action in this mod is in space;

Attachments

• techs3.gif
    techs3.gif
    55.9 KB · Views: 164
Top Bottom