Space Armarda; Testing and Modmaking #1

Smoking mirror said:
The AI also won't settle on single square islands...

Actually, they will. At least, in the mod I'm playing at the moment, quite a few cities have been built on single-square islands.

That's nice to know, but I still think the system-space being land idea is good. Then you can make solar-energy producing satellite complexes of some sort as irrigation (the AI won't improve see terrain, no AI strategy flag).

Just a little update, been working on some rendering. I'm going to try to do a unit a day, but may not quite make that. Did the space artillery this evening, nearly done the settler and worker.

I'm quite interested in this mod; but, as I have not been keeping nay track of it as of late, i have a few questions;

A)was the question of how the map is to be set up ever answered; that is to say, will planets be single tile islands, or will space be represente dby land and sea?

in my own minds eye, considering thier are three divisions of sea, more then enough to represent different aspects of space, IMO, and that, thier are many types of planets, more then enough to justify the use of standard terrian types as individual planet types, it shoudl eb that way in which space is represented; after all, the AI will settle any land availible to settle on, if no other options are presetned; this includes single tile islands

B)are standard Infantry troops going to be represented? I rathe rlike the image of having orbital bombardments and attacks, but having "space marines" having to do the actual taking of a planet; after all, no matte rhow many bombs one drops, thier will always be cause for ground troops...

C)have all the various human/alien civilizations been established yet?

A) System space is land, planets are unsettleable resources, and interstellar space is coast, sea, and ocean.

B) Don't think so, but I'm not sure.

C) I think that was a while back in the old thread, but I'm not sure if SM changed any of them.

Hope that helps :).

very much, though it seems I'll have soem modding of my own to do once I land this little beauty in my PC ;)

Unit making is going well, the missiles are now done...

Used the main animation for both types, with just the explosion to make them different. Should be a bit of a suprise when you are expecting a weak nuke attakc and the AI unleashes Antimatter missiles on you.

Not sure how I'm going to set them up yet; Have to play test it to see how it comes out.

Heres the Nuke blast;

Attachments

• dirty.gif
    dirty.gif
    37.5 KB · Views: 165
Obviously antimatter missiles will be more powerfull, able to defeat some of the weaker units in one hit, but I'm not sure if I want to make them mobile, or restrict them to cities with imobile, would make an exelent last line of deffence....

Also I may give the nukes zero maintenace, so that you can bulk up your deffence in a democratic gov without going bankrupt.

Heres the antimatter blast, Ive make it more impressive than previous attempts;

Attachments

• bright.gif
    bright.gif
    54.8 KB · Views: 185
The good thing about a space mod where units are concerned is that there is no sound in space, so you don't have to bother coming up with sounds for all your spaceships. Of course, you probably still will, right? ;)

has anyone given a thought on biological weapons?

Well, the nuke and antimatter weapons will just be like Cruise missiles for the early age. In the latter ages (possibly from the second age) a new type of energy will become available.

zero point energy is the energy that exists in the vacum of space, its called zero point energy because the energy gathered from a single point is almost zero, but as you gather the energy from a larger area it increases at an exponential rate, untill it is near infinite. You need at least nanotechnology, or possibly picotechnology to harvest zero point energy and to start with the reaction would be totaly uncontrolable. You would need new technologies of energy management and storage to turn it in to a controled and useful sorce of power, but initialy it would make a weapon of unmentionable destructive energy, this will be the mods full nuke. Later on large ZPE collector nets will be stretched over whole sectors of the solar system colecting energy to fuel city growth, this is what I'm saving irrigation for.

Idea!

has anyoen ever given anythought to orbital mien feilds?

I dotn know if it can be implmented; but what if you had stationary mine feilds that could be airdroped to a certian radius around a planet/ what ever would represent a city in the mod?

this woudl keep the mines themselves stationary, but not restricted to a city/planet

possible, don't know kow the AI would cope; Will prolly go in the testing.

Didn't get much rendering done yesterday, but did finish all the animations for the armed freighter, so it now ready for rendering.

Going to do a game test tommorrow, with all the graphics I've got so far.. Don't want to do too much if I'm going to find it doesn't look right.

Smoking mirror said:
zero point energy is the energy that exists in the vacum of space, its called zero point energy because the energy gathered from a single point is almost zero, but as you gather the energy from a larger area it increases at an exponential rate, untill it is near infinite. You need at least nanotechnology, or possibly picotechnology to harvest zero point energy and to start with the reaction would be totaly uncontrolable. You would need new technologies of energy management and storage to turn it in to a controled and useful sorce of power, but initialy it would make a weapon of unmentionable destructive energy, this will be the mods full nuke. Later on large ZPE collector nets will be stretched over whole sectors of the solar system colecting energy to fuel city growth, this is what I'm saving irrigation for.

that reminds me of the quantum foam. with the quantum foam, the energy in a single cubic centimeter can boil the worlds oceans.

Yes, ZPE energy is essentialy quantum energy. The thing is, its one thing to release that energy, and another thing to harvest it. But if you could set up long chains of energy "releasers" With each link being burnt out by releasing so much energy, some of which is harvested for use, while the rest is used to power nanotech factories that build new links.

So the irrigation will prolly look like a long chain of complex mollecules, twisting and turning in space.

Top Bottom