Space Armarda; Testing and Modmaking #1

Xen said:
Idea!

has anyoen ever given anythought to orbital mien feilds?

I dotn know if it can be implmented; but what if you had stationary mine feilds that could be airdroped to a certian radius around a planet/ what ever would represent a city in the mod?

this woudl keep the mines themselves stationary, but not restricted to a city/planet

woohoo another chance to sell my new favorite bug :lol:
There could be a minefield or satellite defense system unit that could have 0 def, hidden nationality, and defenmsive bombard, so whatever unit, friendly or enemy, enters the tile will be attacked but will not destroy the defending unit.
Or you could give it 1 def, 1 HP, and excellent defensive bombard (8 strength, 4 ROF, lethal?) so it will "always" die but should inflict serious damage. :D

I would usually recommend the first way to represent the dangers of planting mines, but in this scenario the second would probably be better. By the time we build space-based satellite defense systems, they should be able to identify friendly ships. ;)

They would drift toward the nearest center of gravity (or strongest, in the case of multiple ones), which (assuming some survive re-entry) is a very dangerous thing.

The definition of sound is vibration in matter (if you hear something under water, it's still sound), there's just no air to project the sound (i.e. the explosion makes a sound, but it stops at the extent of the explosion as there is no air -or matter of any sort- to carry it further).

Toward the irrigation idea, I thought irrigation was going to be solar-powered sattelites :confused:... Did you change it, or was I just mistaken?

I thought of another cool thing for this mod...

Barbarians.....either they should be Space Pirates, or if your feeling alittle nasty, Space Monsters. If not aliens, than the Space Monsters could be leftovers from a genetic experiment gone horribly wrong.

The setting is the biggest problem. You can choose realism or not. If you choose realism, you must choose a solar system or an interstellar setting. If you choose a solar system, there are problems of the movement of the planets and of acceleration of bodies that cannot be represented with regular civ movement. If you choose interstellar, you get light speed as a limit that deals with unit acceleration, but you no longer have the plane of the ecliptic making things two dimensional. You can do scale telescoping and have the star systems be big islands. Most of your land will be Oort cloud, maybe one ring of Kuiper belt and a core square of "planetary system."

Any interstellar civilization will have something more advanced than solar power. If not fusion (which is not so much a tech as just having the will to go large enough in scale), it will have mastered charge parity violation well enough to produce antimatter-matter pairs in ratios skewed to antimatter--essentially meaning free limitless energy and conversion of any kind of matter into any other. Thus there will be no concern over resources and no variety of terrain, which is kind of dull.

Then there is the option of focusing on a single planetoid system. Let the whole map be the asteriod belt, kuiper belt, or oort cloud with only a small part in the center occupied by the inner planets (not individually represented, except as jump crazy resources). This not only makes the game easier, but it is a realistic representation of relative scale and the plane of the ecliptic which is conveniently two dimensional. You can still use the speed of light as a speed limit if you change the time scales per turn and say you can only go up to a certain percentage of light speed per tech advance due to relativistic limitations.

(The rings of saturn are also a good setting, but like all single planets in a larger space civilization context, there is the question of why the research spending of one civ of this planet is so significant. )

One cool way would be to have the map represent different things in different ages.
At first, the inner map could be the planetary system and the outer map the asteroid belt. Age two: the inner map is the planetary system and the outer map is the kuiper belt. Age three, the inner map is the plantary system and the outer map is the oort cloud. How? Call the outer map terrain "planetoid belt" and have new "resources" (that look like asteroids or ice worlds or comets) appear, concurrent with the new age. Of course, that leaves the problem of non natural aspects of geography. When I went to the Kuiper Belt age by discovering Fusion Rockets, why is my city that was in the asteriod belt now in the Kuiper belt, if this map is supposed to represent something new? Maybe this could be glossed a little with abstract names like City One, but there's not much getting around it.)

Roads should be just lots of tiny dots, representing lanes of many space vehicles travelling jetsons style. Shield producing improvements should be factories rather than mines, and irrigation should be space habitats. Food will not be a problem to synthesize, living space (and attendant life support developments) will take its place functionally as what allows population to subsist and grow. Forest should be an even better kind of space habitat, space megahab, that you can produce with a higher tech. And you could start with everything "polluted" , ie undeveloped, and "develop" it ie clear the pollution. Most of the terrain could be marsh (raw planetoids), which you can eventually clear to grassland (nanoconverted planetoids). (Though those will of course look different on the screen). In nanoconverted space you can make megahabs, which can be built in conjuntion with space factories or more habitation. You can not only build space lanes but teleportation terminals (use daftpanzers roads from space wars perhaps). Finally, you can harness vacuum energy itself to create great gobs of matter from nothing, with the right buildings, which shows up as pollution at first, but eventually converts the forest into Mountain, with global warming effects, which is Dysonsphere perhaps, many AU wide spheres with new planetary systems inside them. The planetary system could be Hill, which is prime, but limited.
And in between you've got all these other techs you could make a part of it.

Just some ideas, maybe some will help this come to fruition so I can play it sometime soon seeing as how my solar system mod didn't work out.

dyson spheres are imposible without picotechnology. too much matter needed, and innefficient in making living space. if you are significantly away from the equator, you would fall toward the sun, or be pointed in odd directions. also, any air you made would either go to the equator, or flow toward the sun.

I always fgidured that mines placed in deep space woudl with proper positioning just sit ther, and that mines placed in for planetary, oy system fo defence would just, agian, if positioned properlly, maintian a standard orbit....

Then they whirl around and don't protect the spot you are... I.e. if we laid mines between us and Mars, they would circle the sun, and move at a much different speed than us or Mars. There would have to be some sort of "mine-belt". Unless you just had them in orbit around planets, which sounds dangerous to me (think mini-asteroids, possibly floating space-junk, knocks one of the mines toward another... Depends on how far apart they are)...

A)I always figured that if you have the resources to g out, and colonize newworld, then producing simple defences like mines for ENITRE solar systems shoudl be easy; just a question of setting up the mass-prduceing production lines,and keeping the resources flowing into it, and other wise maxcimizing effeicency

B)thier are certian points in teh orbit around celestial bodies, liek planets that are stable in thier oribits; and, obviosully enough, the same goest for stars, and the fact that the (existing!) plantes in our own system havint bumpoed into eachother; find thos eplaces, aof which thier are probabaly many, since huge loads of satillites are placed in such orbits shouldnt be hard

C)I'm sure it wouldnt be hard or wasteful, in real life to both fit each mine with a small little manuvering thruster, as well as a small computer, hooked up to "master commander" to keep each mien in the proper orbitl to ensure no sabotage fo orbits, perhaps thier woudl be many "master mines", in control of just few 'slave mines'

D)unless otherwise armed by direct orders form the planet/starship/whatever the order woudl come from, the mines woudl be deactivated; in other words staionry peices of space junck that correct thier own orbits, and are otherwise harmless to passing ships, or whatever they are orbiting

E)when activated, perhaps, depending on the leval of technology, they could first fire lasres (think somthign that looks liek one of those classic WWI "spikey" naval mines), before an actual collesion withthe target....

i don't think it would be too hard to make the mines be nuclear mines.

Well, I weighed up the pros and cons for mines and decided against stationary defender mines. They wouldn't make an effective defensive stratagy for the AI, and so would just be another way for the human player to get one over on the poor old sucker AI. The missiles I've made should be a good replacement, they are unmanned drones, directed to a preset orbit around a planet or to a point in solar space, or just hanging out at a space station. As the enemy aproaches, the missiles use thier stealth profile and high accelleration to outmanuver any human piloted ships and wreck destruction on the enemy. You don't need to use stealth attacks or the invisible flag, which can be saved for a later era, as the missiles can make a two square sneak attack, which I'm prety sure the AI should be able to cope with.

I've saved Irrigation to the late ages, mainly to present an interesting change to traditional civ, but also to push the focus towards Planets being more important in the early age as a source of labour, trade and production while in the late ages, they are just a handy source of matter to compliment the almost limitless sources of energy available. To start with it will be very important to bag the right locations around the best planets, but later in the game even those red dwarf systems which lack planets will be good locations for large settlements.

but if there are planets near the red dwarfs they would be tidally locked.

and besides, the sun is considered an average star for the types of stars seen, but in amount, it is the top 3% of the brightest stars.

Most of our nearby neighbouring stars are red dwarfs with very little pulling power. They have managed to capture very little stellar material so very few of them have the required mass in thier system to form whole planets. While they are lacking in planets they mostly have a host of asteroids and comets.

This makes red dwarf systems very uninviting in the early eras, perhaps only luring settlers by the chance of having a rare resource that could be shipped back to larger solar system. Later the ZPE irrigation will allow large settlements to be grown in these systems, with the comets and asteroids making good material resources.

The other reason I've decided on missiles rather than mines is the sheer empty space involved. There are a few places you could set mines knowing that the enemy would be likely to colide with them, but for the most part there is no way that any ship would be unlucky enough to stumble in to a mine while traveling the solar system. Just think of how many killer asteroids there are drifting around our system (literaly thousands big enough to cause a mass extinction event on earth) and yet none of them have hit us in the last 50 million years or so, despite our planet not even trying to avoid them. The resources used up creating enough dumb mines to cover a solar system would be much better employed in a swarm of smart missiles, which could be directed against their targets.

Well, I've done a quick graphics test with some of the units I've made. There are sone difficulties, like the fact that the smoke doesn't look the same in the game as it does in flickster... :( But over all it looks prety good. I was worried that the missiles would look too small, but they've come out quite well.

Smoking mirror said:
Well, I've done a quick graphics test with some of the units I've made. There are sone difficulties, like the fact that the smoke doesn't look the same in the game as it does in flickster... :( But over all it looks prety good. I was worried that the missiles would look too small, but they've come out quite well.

You might be able to convert smoke to fire with your 2d graphics editor. I thought this was in space...... so smoke would look kind of strange wouldn't it?

vbraun said:
Wouldn't Fire look even more strange becasue fire needs oxygen which is not very abundent in space. ;)

Well, I meant more like make the smoke particles glow instead. But fire may look strange, and innacurate.... except:

a fire explosion could happen in space, especially if it is a space cruiser with on-board oxygen for it passengers.

I meant more graphically. For some reason, a grey cloud of smoke on a pithc black background just doesn't sound like it would look too good.

SM's spaceship explosions should look pretty good in this situation.

Smoking mirror said:
The other reason I've decided on missiles rather than mines is the sheer empty space involved. There are a few places you could set mines knowing that the enemy would be likely to colide with them, but for the most part there is no way that any ship would be unlucky enough to stumble in to a mine while traveling the solar system. Just think of how many killer asteroids there are drifting around our system (literaly thousands big enough to cause a mass extinction event on earth) and yet none of them have hit us in the last 50 million years or so, despite our planet not even trying to avoid them. The resources used up creating enough dumb mines to cover a solar system would be much better employed in a swarm of smart missiles, which could be directed against their targets.

one could argue that the resources used for trecnh warfare would be put to better use making a well trianed elite force to completlly flank the entrenchments, but look how that turned out :p

my cause for suggesting mines was mostlly because i thougth it woudl look neat :p

Top Bottom