Space Colonization modmod

Speaking of maps, may I ask what the plan for mapscripts is in the future? Will maps continue to be different terrains all on the same map, or some sort of multimap, or is that all too far in the future to say for sure?

Good question. I haven't attempted to do anything with mapscripts yet, but eventually that will be needed. It is possible that I will make more terrain changes, so I want to be sure that is stabilized first. At the very least, I plan to add Green Moon and Green Mars terrains that can be created with terraforming, though they shouldn't be part of the original map.

Multimaps have been a topic of discussion here for years. That's a complex subject that is well above my pay grade.

I hope you enjoy. Feedback is probably the most useful thing now.

Multimaps have been a topic of discussion here for years. That's a complex subject that is well above my pay grade.

I hope you enjoy. Feedback is probably the most useful thing now.

pepper2000 is right, Multimaps are a long way off. Unless we get more C++ programmers joining the team.

Getting Earth maps and Earth plus Space maps working properly are the first steps.

Of course, feedback on "Earth plus Space maps " is vitally important, to help progression to Multimaps. :)

I have a few new civics lined up for the next version of the Space Colonization modmod.

Government: Noocracy (democracy via linked minds) and Gerontocracy (rule by an immortal caste)
Rule: Machine Rule (society run by AI and robots) and Polystate (city states that are not defined by geography)
Power: Protocol (governing protocols designed to be highly stable; to hold interstellar societies together)
Society: Biological Caste (caste system defined by genetic engineering)
Economy: Post-Scarcity (all necessary resources available to the public for free)
Military: Omniimperialism (interstellar conquest)
Religion: Syncretism (fusion of religious, scientific, philosophical thought) and Cosmic (religiously motivated cosmic expansion)
Welfare: Abundance (resources so abundant that welfare is taken care of)
Garbage: Recycling and Atomization
Immigration: Interstellar (ET can stay)
Education: Universal Knowledge
Langauge: Xenosemiotics (conceptual communication with all intelligent life forms)
Agriculture: Algaculture (algae) and Food Replication
Currency: Post-Currency and Energy (energy as basic unit of currency)
Labor: Engineered (all work done by an engineered labor caste)

I am still tweaking the effects of these civics, and I could use some icons.

A few comments:

• Gerontocracy is pretty much the government system of ancient Sparta (without the immortality, the ephors were pretty much in charge, even if they had two kings)
  • Machine Rule needs to be distinctive w.r.t. technocracy
  • Post-Scarcity is already a labor civic (although economic or welfare would probably fit better, and we already have civics with the same name, like vassalage)
  • In welfare there is already Paradise and Superhuman
  • Recycling sounds less futuristic than Off-Planet-Dumping
  • Energy Currency needs to be separated from Digital Currency

Thanks for the comments.

Gerontocracy is pretty much the government system of ancient Sparta (without the immortality, the ephors were pretty much in charge, even if they had two kings)

That's true. What I am trying to capture here is that sci-fi "council of wise [or corrupt] elders" trope, with the view that adding biological immortality to the mix causes a qualitative change to how it functions. In practice, it will look most like a better version of Monarchy.

Machine Rule needs to be distinctive w.r.t. technocracy

There are similarities. Both are based on the notion that society should be run in a scientific, dispassionate manner. The main difference is that a technocracy, as envisioned by the mid-20th century technocracy movement, is run by engineers and experts who are human. Technocracy comes at Virtual Society, which is a bit early in the tech tree for AI to be in charge. Arguably, systems such as Soviet communism were at least attempts to implement technocratic government.

Also, Technocracy is a Government civic and Machine Rule is a Rule civic. To tell you the truth, I don't really understand the difference between the two.

Post-Scarcity is already a labor civic (although economic or welfare would probably fit better, and we already have civics with the same name, like vassalage)

The system is a little screwy now. The labor civic is actually called Post-Labor, though the autobuild civic building is called Post-Scarcity, and the XML tag is POST_SCARCITY. Since it becomes available at Androids, I think what it is really capturing is that automation has proceeded to the level where not much of the population needs to work anymore. That might not necessarily be a post-scarcity situation; one can imagine a scenario in which most of the world's population lives in poverty because they lack any meaningful economic opportunity.

Taken together, the set of Post-Labor, Post-Scarcity, Abundance, and Post-Currency form the utopian vision of a world in which economic problems are solved.

In welfare there is already Paradise and Superhuman

That's another funny situation. Paradise becomes available at Ecological Engineering, which is close to present day. I'm not sure exactly what it means, but I generally take it to be the social democratic vision of a society organized by the principles of environmental sustainability and human equity. Superhuman comes at Homo Superior, so I take it to be the idea that humans are genetically engineered to achieve better social outcomes. Abundance comes at Molecular Assembly (mid-Galactic) and is the idea of a very high level of material wealth as the basis of prosperity. See e.g. Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age. So the three really are different things.

The general difficulty is that some of the civics and categories run together and it is hard to know where one stops and another begins.

Recycling sounds less futuristic than Off-Planet-Dumping

Recycling comes at the Recycling tech, and that's a fairly obvious place to put a civic. As for Off-Planet Dumping, I pushed that back to Coilgun and might push it farther. Today, the idea of disposing trash in space is not even close to feasible. It costs millions of dollars per ton to launch things into orbit, while it costs just a few hundred dollars per ton to recycle nearly everything using an state of the art facility. Landfilling, even with all proper lining and management, is cheaper but then we lose out on material. Even a plasma arc recycling system for disposing of hazardous waste, or tossing nuclear waste into deep oil or gas wells (or saving them for use at a Generation IV plant) makes far more sense than trying to launch this stuff into space.

Energy Currency needs to be separated from Digital Currency

Digital is a bit of an odd duck because in principle it is compatible with Gold Standard, Fiat, or Credit. There are really two policies here: one is how transactions are done, and the other is what underlies the value of money. With the Energy civic, I am thinking more toward the latter, and the civic is modeled after Gold Standard. The theory is that in the distant future, with vast amounts of energy coming from Dyson spheres, energy can be transformed into all other economic goods, including labor via computation, and so energy becomes the fundamental resource against which currency is measured.

Re Off-Planet Dumping: That civic would become feasible as soon as the Space Elevator got built, I think that's a bit sooner than Coilgun.

Edit: And it would be an interesting alternative to the Toxic Waste Dump. That's why the estimate for having to contain Nuclear Waste for many millennia is probably too pessimistic. You wait for the Space Elevator and shoot the waste either into the sun (very unlikely to be a problem, but certain groups might disagree) or into open space where the Space-Castor won't encounter anything for many millennia at least.

Edit2: The only reason you even have to wait for the elevator is that you really don't want an accident to happen during the launch of the waste container.

I'd add elemental recycling (plasma recycling?). Splitting all waste into its elemental atom parts - e.g. iron, copper, carbon, oxygen etc.) and re-use those if useable. I think it would technically be possible today except that it costs insane amounts of energy. If a civ would have an ultra-abundant and ultra cheap energy source, this would be an option.

I'd add that I also moved The Space Elevator so that it requires Superstrong Alloys. We're a long way from being able to build such a thing.

The US dollar is already an energy currency. When the US abandoned the gold standard, it made a deal with Saudi Arabia that they would always price their oil in US dollars in exchange for US military protection. So the US dollar effectively went from a gold standard to an oil standard (except with a less fixed exchange rate).

I think "energy currency" in this case means electrical energy. This would really start to make sense if the 3D-printers had already reached a point of being universal constructors. At this point you need for whatever you want to have

• the 3D-printer itself
  • raw material the printer can use
  • the blueprint file (the only thing in this list you don't completely own)
  • energy to perform the printing

The engineers create the blueprint files and license them to the users for energy. The same way you buy raw material, and when you need a new printer (before the old one is defect), you purchase a printer blueprint.

Re Off-Planet Dumping: That civic would become feasible as soon as the Space Elevator got built, I think that's a bit sooner than Coilgun.

Edit: And it would be an interesting alternative to the Toxic Waste Dump. That's why the estimate for having to contain Nuclear Waste for many millennia is probably too pessimistic. You wait for the Space Elevator and shoot the waste either into the sun (very unlikely to be a problem, but certain groups might disagree) or into open space where the Space-Castor won't encounter anything for many millennia at least.

Edit2: The only reason you even have to wait for the elevator is that you really don't want an accident to happen during the launch of the waste container.

Getting stuff to space is extremely expensive, and I highly doubt that it will EVER be a valid alternative. Once we reacheda point where space access is so cheap that it could be more viable than dumping stuff into deserted areas, recycling would both be more economically and necessary.

Plus you basically can't shoot stuff into the sun. You can't aim at the sun and fire your engines; you actually have to cancel out the earths speed around the sun to get there.

The "idea" of the Space Elevator is exactly that, making access to space cheap.

Recycling is not feasible for Nuclear Waste, if you leave Nuclear (Fission) Energy behind.

Reaching the Sun is even a bit easier than reaching Outer Space, since you "only" need to cancel Earth's speed (a little less than 30 km/s, or 67000 mph), whereas for leaving the Solar System from Earth you need 42 km/s, or 94000 mph.

V6 is up now.

By now, I am getting close to having everything I want. I've decided against trying to add more military units for now. A good mapscript is still on my wish list, but I have no idea how to do that.

I have two mains goals for V7. First, I want every tech in the Transhuman and Galactic Eras to provide at least three new items, where "items" are buildings, units, civics, improvements, promotions, etc. Upgrades to existing buildings or improvements don't count. As it is now, all techs provide at least one new thing. I'm still don't have enough ideas to fill out the tech tree, so new ideas for future buildings, whether on Earth or in space, are greatly appreciated. Maybe later I'll post a list of all the techs for which I still want more content.

My second goal is balancing. I've been neglecting getting the balance, such as in building effects, right, since my focus has been on new content. For the most part, I'd say my buildings are generally underpowered. With building consolidation mostly done, the new buildings will have to be beefed up to compensate (and they ought to be powerful because it's the future). There are a lot of little fixes to be made here and there.

Congrats on another step forward there! I'm really going to have to explore your concepts here at some point soon. I may have to setup another mod file to do it but it looks worth doing.

Thanks Tbird. I know you have a ton of other things on your plate now, but how are things with naval units and other units? I would love to see more future military units included.

Thanks Tbird. I know you have a ton of other things on your plate now, but how are things with naval units and other units? I would love to see more future military units included.

Sloow. I'm primarily stuck debugging for now.

I am getting an error "BuildCapturedAsteroid:9:SyntaxWarning:import * only allowed at module level".

I assume it is
Code:
                                    from CvPythonExtensions import *
in the worker code.

It looks as if you are doing the same thing in the code on many units. It may be better to move it out of the XML and into some python.

I am getting quite a lot of similar errors.

edit have you tried having the imports before the def instead?
Code:
                                from CvPythonExtensions import CyGlobalContext
                                from CvPythonExtensions import *
                                def isPossible(unit,plot):
it gets rid of the error but I don't know if it also works still.

Thanks DH. Did you get the error upon loading the mod, or after starting a game? For me, it was working fine before. I made the change you suggested and it loads fine, and the missions apparently still work too. So I'll keep the changes you suggested and get a fix uploaded here soon.

I wonder why it worked for me and not you. Is it possible that our versions of Civ4 are using different Python installations with different rules? Now that I think about it, importing modules in the middle of a function was a bad idea and I shouldn't have done it that way anyway. And yes, the whole Python in XML thing is a hack anyway. One of these days, I'd like to figure out more advanced python usage and implement some more novel unit and building ideas.

Thanks DH. Did you get the error upon loading the mod, or after starting a game? For me, it was working fine before. I made the change you suggested and it loads fine, and the missions apparently still work too. So I'll keep the changes you suggested and get a fix uploaded here soon.

I wonder why it worked for me and not you. Is it possible that our versions of Civ4 are using different Python installations with different rules? Now that I think about it, importing modules in the middle of a function was a bad idea and I shouldn't have done it that way anyway. And yes, the whole Python in XML thing is a hack anyway. One of these days, I'd like to figure out more advanced python usage and implement some more novel unit and building ideas.

I got them on loading the mod but then I have turned python exceptions on somewhere since I do a bit of python and it helps.;)

One problem with putting this in python is that it all has to go in the one .py file along with a lot of other stuff. Having it in the XML makes it easier to prototype.

Top Bottom