1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Space Colonization modmod

Discussion in 'C2C mod mods' started by pepper2000, Jan 22, 2016.

1. pepper2000

pepper2000 King

Got it. Then it probably would have worked despite the exceptions, but still, better to do it the right way.

For others reading this, go ahead and try the modmod as it is now. It should work. But I will correct this issue in due time.

2. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Of course you only need one or the other not both
    Code:
                                    from CvPythonExtensions import CyGlobalContext

or
    Code:
                                    from CvPythonExtensions import *

I have put all the MapCategory updates you have in your first units infos file onto the SVN so it should be safe for you to remove them from your mod.

3. pepper2000

pepper2000 King

Makes sense. I can't remember why I did the import * now, but I remember having trouble making it work.

Thanks.

4. pepper2000

pepper2000 King

Here is a list of techs for which I am still looking for some content (excluding some for which military units are expected):

Transhuman Era:

Acoustophoresis
    Affective Algorithms
    Animamaterials
    Anti-Aging Medicine
    Artificial Evolution
    Binary Semiotics
    Botanical Alchemy
    Cryogenics
    Dystopia Pathogens
    Electromagnetic Voltage
    Environmental Economics
    Flash Memory
    Frictionless Flight
    Gene Jurisprudence
    Hypersonic Flight
    Knowledge Mercantilism
    Lunar Tourism
    Magnetic Sails
    Mass Surveillance
    Media Hivemind
    Micromechanics
    Nutraceutical Animals
    Ontological Engineering
    Photon Thermodynamics
    Photonic Satellites
    Planetary Economics
    Replacement Organs
    Sapientroids
    Smart Drugs
    Social Calculus
    Synergetics
    Universal Translator

Galactic Era

Alpha Point
    Ascension
    Astroanthropology
    Atomization Field
    Attometer Engineering
    Attometer Nanomorphism
    Controlled Inflation
    Dark Energy Harvesting
    Dark Matter Engineering
    Euclidean 5-Space Geometry
    Exomining
    Extraterrestrial Agriculture
    Gravitronics
    Interstellar Communication
    Macroscopic Superposition
    Megastrong Alloys
    Nanotroids
    Planet Scanning
    Posthumanism
    Space Creasing
    Spatial Transcendence
    Stellar Computing
    Stellar Engine
    Ultracomputing
    Wormhole Communications

5. tmv

tmv Emperor

Anything that extends life (Anti-Aging Medicine, Cryogenics, Replacement Organs, Smart Drugs) or extends personhood (Artificial Evolution, Sapientroids, Astroanthropology, Posthumanism) should give :food: or require less :food: to grow. Of course, it could require a building to do that.

Synergetics is about self-organization in complex systems, emphasizing similar structures in various sciences, first mentioned in 1969. This should improve various labs.

Regarding Electomagnetic Voltage, I am not sure why this isn't an Industrial tech. What is the meaning of this?

Mass Surveillance should improve your espionage defence, whereas Universal Translator should improve your espionage in addition to giving you the civic of the same name.

Controlled Inflation should do exactly that, if you have Advanced Economy activated.

Extraterrestrial Agriculture should give you farms (or something like that) on other celestial bodies.

Hypersonic Flight and Lunar Tourism should increase tourism (perhaps the tourism levels should be spread out like the education levels are).

Unless that has already happened, Magnetic Sails (for the Solar System) and Space Creasing / Wormhole Communications (for the Galaxy) could be good techs to give you trade connection.

6. pepper2000

pepper2000 King

Thanks tmv. Here are some of my thoughts.

That makes sense. The big question is what the buildings should be. It would also be good to include things that improve health, except health and disease are already no longer problems by this part of the game.

I was thinking about synergetics as Buckminster Fuller used the term. I came up with a couple ideas for this tonight, though am still on the lookout for more.

This is one of Mr. Azure's techs, and I'm not sure what he intended for it (or for many of his ideas). It's supposed to be some form of advanced electricity, via electromagnetic pulses.

Makes sense. I'm planning on adding a PreCrime Unit (see Minority Report) at Mass Surveillance. I'm not exactly sure what is meant by Universal Translator. It is really supposed to be universal, in that it can translate any heretofore unknown language like in Star Trek, or does it only handle known Earth languages?

This is actually a tech for near the end of the tree; the "inflation" refers to cosmic inflation, and it is part of the process of gaining the ability to create an entire universe.

I have two so far: one on Mars and one on other Solar System planets. I need one more to round it out.

That's a good idea. Why are all the tourism levels bunched together at Classical Lifestyle? For Hypersonic Flight, I'm thinking of maybe an airport expansion/upgrade to boost commerce. For Lunar Tourism, maybe a Lunar Tourist Agency on Earth to complement the buildings on the Moon, but that doesn't feel quite right.

So far I've been resisting direct trade between planetary bodies. I have a Magsail Workcraft which has several work functions, but trade routes aren't one of them. As for wormholes for trade between interstellar colonies, that happens at Wormhole Traversal rather than Wormhole Communications.

7. majaczek

majaczek Warlord

Electromagnetic Voltage is perhgaps No-Wire Charging?
    there are already prototypes of it (it uses coils and pulse seems more efficient than sinus)
    I don't trace it but lastly I checked it could charge only small devices like smartphones.
    So perhaps, he meant Pulse, fast, No-Wire Charging for spaceships? or maybe special charging system, so the town itself charge phones and more?

8. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

This would be an awesome technology for moving heavy materials, like huge stone bricks for example. Surely it would help tremendously with a resurgence in the popularity of massive megalithic structures built to withstand the test of time like no other structures seen in erm... human... history.

Anyhow, a building for this to enhance production % while constructing buildings would certainly be appropriate. Perhaps a major upgrade to the previous building that provides this benefit? Perhaps also adds some production % to world and national wonders? Opening up a new wave of Neo-Pyramids? (Interplanetary message transmitters of course.)

I'll think of more over time on the other ones.

I feel it would be a benefit to spread them out across the ages like education as well.

Why? Just curious about your thinking on this.

He did leave notes somewhere around here. I'll have to find where they are for you.

9. pepper2000

pepper2000 King

Good idea. I'll do the building percent booster. I've been kicking around some ideas for some kind of neo-Pyramid wonder, but if I include that, it would come later.

The main reason is that the Mars line of buildings has resource requirements that I want to be met indigenously. For example, build a Hydroponics array in one city, which can provide all the cities that are connected by roads with Vegetables. I don't want that to be circumvented by importing veggies from Earth, which defeats the idea of Mars becoming self-sufficient.

If direct resource trade between planets is allowed, I would want it to be very late in the game.

10. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I see. It wouldn't be VERY late in the game I think. Reason: it would become a major demand for citizens living on other planets to be given the capability of enjoying the resources from elsewhere very quickly.

I get why you'd want to limit it significantly. Especially at first. Definitely makes things more interesting that way. And the cost involved in such transportation would be prohibitive for a long time. But demand would grow quick and the costs would become mitigated by the value of what they could potentially export assuming they found unique exports to send back.

We may need to figure out a new way to work trade interplanetary wise... But I get where you're coming from and trust your judgement on this... just take my words as thoughts to chew on that you've probably already considered.

11. pepper2000

pepper2000 King

Thanks Tbrd, but actually an obvious solution just occurred to me. Why don't I just create a few special new Mars resources? E.g. "Mars-Grown Vegetables" instead of the ordinary Earth vegetables. That way, Martians can import food from Earth as a luxury, but the staples of their diet still need to be home-grown.

Currently, there are three space routes. For cislunar Space only, there is a Cislunar Trajectory which can be built at Coilgun (I decided space guns are what allows trade in cislunar space in a large scale to be feasible). Solar Trajectory (Solar System plots) become available at Solar Ordnance, and Wormhole (all plots outside of the Solar System but within the Milky Way) become available at Wormhole Traversal.

Technically interplanetary trade could be conducted without defining any rules on how maps are built. There are no rules since there are no mapscripts yet. One rule I have in mind is that the Moon, Earth, and all other planets must be surrounded by Orbit panels, on which no routes are possible. Allowing routes on Orbit panels, or not using Orbit panels, allows interplanetary trade. Also, there is nothing, at least in principle, that prevents trade between interstellar colonies and cities on Solar System plots.

This would be as good a time as any to figure out what rules should govern who can trade with whom (or it is whom can trade with who; let's get trade rules settled before discussing grammar rules). Then we'll worry about how to implement them. Here's an on-the-fly draft.

Cislunar colonies can trade with each other: Coilgun
    Earth, Cislunar, and Lunar cities can trade with each other: Lunar Trade
    Mars cities can trade with each other: Supersonic Rails
    All Inner Solar System cities can trade with each other: Planetary Trade
    All Solar System cities can trade with each other: Solar Ordnance
    All cities within about 100 light years of Earth can trade with each other: Interstellar Trade
    All Milky Way cities can trade with each other: Wormhole Traversal
    All cities can trade with each other: Spatial Transcendence

12. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Mass Driver, a few more X shifts down, is what this represents, large scale coilguns basically.

Interesting outlook. I'm not sure how we'll need to address the mechanics yet but the plan looks tenable at least. Not saying we won't be able to, but how soon we can is difficult to estimate.

13. tmv

tmv Emperor

The classical wonder Shwedagon Pagoda (sp?) gives you all the religion civics. That is true even in this modmod. You could go "cosmic" before you reach Medieval.

While I don't think the religion civics are overly powerful, this could put a constraint on the further development of this modmod. Imagine a late Galactic civic that makes you the divine being of a sub-universe - that could have very strong modifiers, but with this wonder in play it would be a disaster for balance.

14. pepper2000

pepper2000 King

That's a good point, and I didn't think about that oddity. I've tried to keep it so the new civics in the future are on par with, or slightly better than, other civics, so as not to disrupt balance too much.

Are there any other wonders that allow all civics in a given category?

15. tmv

tmv Emperor

I don't think there is anymore - a while ago there was one where you got all the Language civics IIRC - that was unbalancing.

16. pepper2000

pepper2000 King

Development is on hold again, since I got a new job and am moving to the Bay Area. I will try to make some progress over the next couple weeks, but expect a long delay to the next version.

17. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Congrats! Let us know how the move goes. What's the job?

18. pepper2000

pepper2000 King

I'll still be doing energy policy research, but now at an established nonprofit rather than trying to do my own business.

But damn, is the Bay Area expensive. If we can get energy policy fixed, then I'll try something harder like trying to fix the housing market in San Francisco.

19. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

lol! That's pretty inspiring that you managed to achieve a solid position doing what you wanted to do though.

20. Faustmouse

Faustmouse Deity

Currently watching a presentation from Elon Musk on his plans to colonize mars. It's mainly how to make trips to and from mars feasable, but you might be interested.

http://www.spacex.com/mars