Space's first HoF attempt

a space oddity

Deity
GOTM Staff
Hi all,
after having some interesting milking runs in the first 2 COTMs and being back from holidays, time for my first HoF attempt.

This being my first attempt it might be fun for others to see what happens in a very first attempt I decided to make a thread about it. Hopefully the result will not be too embarrasing.

Since I am trying the waters so to speak, I decided to have a go at regent level. I'm a bit rusty on that level, but I hope it'll allow me to be able to focus on my own civ, while still have the AI build enough cities to be of some use.

I've used Moonsingers very useful MapFinder utility to find me a map with a decent domination limit, at least 1 food bonus, a river and last but by no means least, some Ivory.. (I didn't mention it's C3C, but I guess that's clear now anyway :lol: It is allowed I hope! Is it?)

The Civ I chose are the must praised Maya, who's agri/ind combo should make a good growth possible. The map is huge (which I never have finished before) and the goal is to milk it :)cringe: It's a good thing I'll not have to finish this one within the month!).

Since the low level might make me sloppy, I'll save the game every 10 turns. This should make making the report easier too.

In-game I'll use CrpMapstat, which showed its value already during my COTM games. Esp now that I know how to make it read the autosaves while I'm playing. ;)

I'll keep you posted, wish me luck. :)

Good luck Space Oddity!:) I'm coming back just to wish you luck, you know.;)

Good luck a space oddity :)

a space oddity said:
Since the low level might make me sloppy,

There is no 'low level' in the HOF, its all relative ;) If you want proof, just try and take the number 1 spot at Chieftan :)

When you play Regent(or any level for that matter, even chieftan) in the HOF, you are not competing against the Regent-AI, you are competing against other excellent players who have submitted a score at that level.

In the HOF, difficulty level is secondary to how you compare to your peers at the difficulty level you are playing.

Fret's correct on all points. Good luck, and don't concern yourself with the level, but the scores on that level.

Good to see you Moonsinger.

Welcome to the HoF :king:
Here people sit all day trying to virtually control the world.

To build, press b.
For other voice messagesm press #
For help press *...

:mischief:

Thanks Moonsinger (on both counts! ;))

Thanks to you too, fret. I know what you mean about the difficulty of a HoF game, that's exactly why I have to keep concentrated all the way. :)

Thanks superslug, since it's the furst game I'm attempting to 'milk' a huge game and I haven't played a regent game in a while, so I haven't a clue how (im)possible a 20k+ score is. One of the reasons I've put up this thread is to show the pitfalls of such a first try.

Why not, Ainwood? ;) A good score is a good score, no? Whether it be GOTM, SGOTM or HoF. We'd need to play 10 turns each each day though, that might get a bit too much of a good thing! :lol:

I've picked this start (not too terrific, but it had the highest domination limit and for a first try it's good enough, IMO):

Attachments

• start.JPG
    start.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 701
The hut got me maps, about the only time that particular goody is useful! This gave me the opportunity to start a farmers gambit, and forgo the warriors for a bit.

During these turns we got a visit by a scout of the Hittites, our nextdoor neighbour.

Playing the Maya's meant I could start a granary right away. The chop of the deer got me in the following state at 3500BC:

Attachments

• 3500BC.JPG
    3500BC.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 701
I'm curious, were you specifically looking for Ivory or just any luxury?

a space oddity said:
This is allowed isn't, it? I could find nothing about it in the rules...
I always assumed it was. Mapfinder itself is legal and going for an Ivory map isn't something you couldn't do on your own anyway. I've gone for Ivory maps myself so I could use the Statue as a Great Library prebuild on Sid (couldn't use always use the Palace because none of my AI set at the time started with Masonry).

a space oddity said:
Yup, Ivory specifically, to enjoy those Ancient Cavs as early as possible. This is allowed isn't, it? I could find nothing about it in the rules...
ABSOLUTELY 100%!!!...........in fact the Carthagians are ALSO a Great Civ to go with for a Conquest victory at, say, Sid-Level with those Ancient Cavalry............If the HOF EVER gets updated, you can see for yourself! ;)

(Carthage can immediately research Mathematics.....AND then, Statue Of Zeus!) :)

However, for a Huge Milk Run at Regent-Level, I think I would also give the Mayans the nod! :goodjob:

EMan.

P.s. 'slug: Good to see you're "ACTIVE" again! :goodjob:

EMan said:
P.s. 'slug: Good to see you're "ACTIVE" again! :goodjob:
I lurk every day my friend. Just didn't have motivation to hit the post button for a while...

By all means, do, Ainwood. The more the merrier. :) I found it particularly attractive that there's no time limit, so playing can be wrapped around the things that need to be done instead of vice versa.

Yeah, the start being in the middle of the map was also an incentive to pick this save. Although I'm not really sure that early conquest will be the best way to go, maybe I should allow the AI to build some cities (and wonders) for me first. :hmm:

fret said:
Good luck a space oddity :)

There is no 'low level' in the HOF, its all relative ;) If you want proof, just try and take the number 1 spot at Chieftan :)

Come on, that score is not that high....

On Topic: Good luck Space! :)
BTW, don't build the Pyramids before you've gotten your civ out of despotism. It's the only bump in the road with the Maya, IMHO, the automatic GA upon completion of the Pyramids. Can be very useful, but also very annowing....

Darkness said:
... Good luck Space! :)
BTW, don't build the Pyramids before you've gotten your civ out of despotism. It's the only bump in the road with the Maya, IMHO, the automatic GA upon completion of the Pyramids. Can be very useful, but also very annowing....

Thanks. :)
I thought I'd leave the Pyramid-building to one of the others. ;) I just hope it is a true Pangeae map, the 60% land setting should make that chance that bit higher.

Space: Best of luck on this one. :thumbsup:

Any chance of posting the opening save in case I get some free time and want to check it out?

Top Bottom