Speculation : Entirely new VC and deeply reworked existing VC

The tedious parts (waiting x turns to arrive at Alpha Centeuri and capturing every city on the map) of those victory types have already been removed.

Waiting to arrive was only tedious if you hadn't beat down every military power capable of trying to get your capital, one of my most memorable games was when I was desperately trying to keep Shaka's armies from taking Paris (ironically, he was heavily impeded by his own nuke fallout) after my counter-strike got SDI'd down. It was only Monty's peacekeepers that saved me in a dramatic last minute turnaround.

Though I agree, that phase of the game is much better run by the wait for the last SS part, and by the option to warehouse parts without announcing their existence yo the world.

I have a dream about perfect victory condition. It should have:

1. Timing roughly in line with other victory conditions.

2. Requires advancements in different areas of the game, not just, say, culture.

3. Require active play to finish it, not just hitting "end turn".

4. Allows active counterplay from other civs, so you don't lost the game to some other civ without being able to do anything about it.

The more I think about it, the more Religious victory if it's as we understand (need to convert all civs or all cities to your religion) looks nearly perfect to me if the timing is balanced right. I just hope the other victories are in line too.

Well, the old cultural victory is similar to the new religious victory and having 2 equal victory types is very unlikely.

They released the specifics of the new Religious Victory? I don't remember seeing that :confused:

I'd like to see the diplomatic victory remain largely the size but with one significant difference - votes are made by the populace as a whole rather than by the leaders.

You'd therefore have to impress the population by what you do and how you behave throughout the game. Trading with civilizations would make their population more likely to vote for you, declaring war on them less likely, etc.

Obviously different civs could be influenced by different things - army size, technological advancement, cultural output, shared religion, wonders. Which could potentially be tied in with their leader's agenda - Egypt's population would be more likely to vote for you if you had a massive army.

Diplomats could be used to spread positive message to a populace about your nation, or even poison feeling against a rival.

Whether civilizations get more votes for larger populations and whether they can vote for themselves is something the developers can figure out for themselves!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXX5B33Dp9g

Here Ed Beach says quite clearly that Science will be different (besides to some others reworked VCs), one VC is new and another VC is completely gone. (From approx. 5:12)

I'd assume Diplo is the one gone - World congress is gone as well and it always has been the favourite VC to "opt out" of the game as easily as possible...

Since tourism and Great Works still are alive and kicking in CIVVI I doubt, culture is gone

Concerning the new one I'd place my bet on religious victory. There are hints of the reworked religous system here and there and Ed did implement religion with GnK into CiV... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXX5B33Dp9g

Here Ed Beach says quite clearly that Science will be different (besides to some others reworked VCs), one VC is new and another VC is completely gone. (From approx. 5:12)

I'd assume Diplo is the one gone - World congress is gone as well and it always has been the favourite VC to "opt out" of the game as easily as possible...

Since tourism and Great Works still are alive and kicking in CIVVI I doubt, culture is gone

Concerning the new one I'd place my bet on religious victory. There are hints of the reworked religous system here and there and Ed did implement religion with GnK into CiV... ;)
Religious would make sense if diplo is gone, because the last civ religious victory was basically a diplo victory.

Hopefully the religious victory involves diplo and not just "convert the world"

I'd like to see the diplomatic victory remain largely the size but with one significant difference - votes are made by the populace as a whole rather than by the leaders.

You'd therefore have to impress the population by what you do and how you behave throughout the game. Trading with civilizations would make their population more likely to vote for you, declaring war on them less likely, etc.

Obviously different civs could be influenced by different things - army size, technological advancement, cultural output, shared religion, wonders. Which could potentially be tied in with their leader's agenda - Egypt's population would be more likely to vote for you if you had a massive army.

Diplomats could be used to spread positive message to a populace about your nation, or even poison feeling against a rival.

Whether civilizations get more votes for larger populations and whether they can vote for themselves is something the developers can figure out for themselves!

That actually sounds a lot like how a a religious victory could work. You try to convert over 50% if the world, getting bonuses or penalties for shared trade routes and wars and lots of things, spreading a positive message about your religion with missionaries, etc. Obviously it's not exactly how religion worked in Civ 5, but after your post I can imagine how it could work.

Here is a radical idea: NO victory conditions at all. The game simply ends when the player has had enough.

With that said there should be lots of "Steam" style mini achievements. Winning the space race or dominating the world would only be one for many hundreds of mini achievements. This maximizes the replayability element of civilization and moves the player out of the mindset of just because they conquered the world they won the game.

Here is a radical idea: NO victory conditions at all. The game simply ends when the player has had enough.

With that said there should be lots of "Steam" style mini achievements. Winning the space race or dominating the world would only be one for many hundreds of mini achievements. This maximizes the replayability element of civilization and moves the player out of the mindset of just because they conquered the world they won the game.

Well the reason for those victory conditions is that after a certain point there is less and less 'playing' left in the game.

If you have taken every other city, there really isn't much more to do.
And if you have taken the other major cities...there is only slightly more to do.

If you want to keep playing past the time that you or another civ win, you can. No reason to not have a goal in the game for other players that wonder why the game got so boring after the info era.

Haven't read through the whole thread, but how about some kind of Environmental victory? I believe one of the Call To Power games had a pollution mechanic, so maybe Civ6 simulates this? To win you have to patch the hole in the ozone layer, run your economy using a clean energy, learn to recycle everything, maybe use advanced genetics to create your own Jurassic Park where extinct species are brought back to life.

It could be the counter victory to the space race - one side is trying to escape a broken Earth, the other wants to stay and fix it.

As for the entirely new VC, religious seems like the obvious one but economic is also possible, especially if diplomatic moves away from "have a bunch of gold to bribe CSes". There's also the possibility of invidual VCs, tied to the "primary mission" they've referred to : like Grece would need to control 75% of the world by 200BC or something. Seems like it would be basically impossible to balance though.

The new VC will most likely be a Religious VC.

CIV already has a diplomatic victory where religion is the strongest aspect of it, hence: religious victory. This religion oriented VC is nothing new.

how about some kind of Environmental victory?
In the trailer Ed Beach said one victory type of civ5 is gone and a new one has been added.
A religious victory isn't a new victory type in the civ series.
Also, the possible early civ4 religious/diplo win was an anti-climax and trying to convert cities in civ5 wasn't fun either.
And in civ5 not every civ was able found a religion which means some players are locked out of one victory type very early in the game.
So, maybe the new victory type isn't a religious one.

In the trailer Ed Beach said one victory type of civ5 is gone and a new one has been added.
Also, the possible early civ4 religious/diplo win was an anti-climax and trying to convert cities in civ5 wasn't fun either.

http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Victory_(Civ4)
Winning UN elections were not necessarily tied to religion. As peacemonger and reliable guy you had good chances as well! So to me religious VC stands to be an option for the new VC.

And in civ5 not every civ was able found a religion which means some players are locked out of one victory type very early in the game.
So, maybe the new victory type isn't a religious one.

And that is bad? Why? If you make certain decisions during the game some VCs become feasible, other options vanish. I wouldn't have a problem with that.
It could be that religion-system received an overhaul, too and not just is copy and paste from ciV. Implementing new "operations" there could help making it a VC.

An economc VC? Could be, true...

Haven't read through the whole thread, but how about some kind of Environmental victory? I believe one of the Call To Power games had a pollution mechanic, so maybe Civ6 simulates this? To win you have to patch the hole in the ozone layer, run your economy using a clean energy, learn to recycle everything, maybe use advanced genetics to create your own Jurassic Park where extinct species are brought back to life.

It could be the counter victory to the space race - one side is trying to escape a broken Earth, the other wants to stay and fix it.

Wow, why, as someone who voted ecologist last election, couldn't think of that earlier :hammer2:
I would love to see this victory, since it's a global challenge in the real world.
How to implement it genuinely is of course the trickier part :p

Wow, why, as someone who voted ecologist last election, couldn't think of that earlier :hammer2:
I would love to see this victory, since it's a global challenge in the real world.

I'm not sure how this is going to be a single civ "victory" :) Returning everyone else to primal state?

I think the real problem would be how to implement that as a Victory... ie something that one civ accomplishes.

Environmental victory seems more like a series of "International Projects" (where the actions of other civs increase the costs)

I'm personally hoping for:
1-Time will still be in as a default
2-Military Domination
3-Scientific(+cultural*) superachievement
4-[Cultural super achievement (ie like a Utopia... If cultural is not part of the spaceship win)]
5-DiploReligious(+cultural**) Domination (maybe with a vote for/against.... you can't vote against someone you have a DoF with with..although you could abstain)
6-[Cultural domination..like in BNW...unless cultural is part of the Diplo religious win]

*hopefully there are a number of civics required for a Spaceship win.. seems like you would have to reorganize society to persuade them to support a massive that wouldn't even get there for decades.
**high culture over someone forcing them to vote for you

Given only one is cut and one is new... I'd guess there isn't a Utopia victory...
science hopefully is redesigned to be science+culture superachievement (civics, buildings and policies opened by them required as well as techs and things opened by them)
religion is new (and incorporates parts of the old diplo I'm hoping)
Military and Tourism victory are basically the same

Now we know that the Science Victory is still there, and it requires a Spaceport District. I wonder if that counts as "reworked".

He didn't have to mean "new to the series". He was comparing to the victory conditions in Civ V, so I'm pretty sure he meant "new from the last version".

If there is a religious victory, it could be that there will be no limit to the number of religions in the game.

He didn't have to mean "new to the series". He was comparing to the victory conditions in Civ V, so I'm pretty sure he meant "new from the last version".

If there is a religious victory, it could be that there will be no limit to the number of religions in the game.

They said that there's a tiny bit more steps involved in victories this time around, it was very early on said somewhere.

Religious victory could be necessary to found a religion before all of them are used up.

And there's definiately a limit because if the mechanic for majority religion is still in, you will simply not be able to generate enough pressure for any civ if you they will all have their own religion

Quill also confirmed more choices for Religions (so more than 11 symbols) are in. Another reason that there is a limit.

Also, remember that there's limited beliefs as well.

My only hope is that it's based on number of Civs and not map size. so Civs in session/2 = Number of Religions That Can Be Found

Not gonna lie, assuming Diplomatic Victory is indeed the VC to get the ax (a safe bet, from where I'm sitting), I'm going to be sorely disappointed. Of course, I'd be equally bummed if Cultural, Scientific, or Domination Victories where axed as well. I'd personally be okay with five VCs.

Top Bottom