Speculation : Entirely new VC and deeply reworked existing VC

Not gonna lie, assuming Diplomatic Victory is indeed the VC to get the ax (a safe bet, from where I'm sitting), I'm going to be sorely disappointed. Of course, I'd be equally bummed if Cultural, Scientific, or Domination Victories where axed as well. I'd personally be okay with five VCs.

I don't think anyone's talking about eliminating victory conditions.

Ed's hesitation with the launch of the rocket seems to imply there is something more than just launching first.

Either Alpha-Centauri ship is back or there is more involved than just launching the ship.

Ed's hesitation with the launch of the rocket seems to imply there is something more than just launching first.

Either Alpha-Centauri ship is back or there is more involved than just launching the ship.

They mentioned that they re-worked the Vics as well and extra steps are.

Quite frankly I'd prefer if Apollo Program was more than just a pointless building and have them extend into a Future Era that could wrap up all the victories somehow (Utopia for Culture, some sort of fantasy Religious Shrine for Religious victory etc) and include all those ridicolous units we had in Civ 5 :lol:

Ed B confirmed that the culture victory in civ6 requires high tourism just like in civ5. So it looks like the culture victory is unchanged in civ6.

A espionage victory sounds interesting. I like it and with the widening of electronic surveillance in the real world that would be a nice fitting addition to the game.

I'm not sure how that would be integrated mechanicly or thematicly in the game. More of a domination victory in cyber-warfare or more like having a world-wide police state surveilance & hacking network.

My uncompleted mod for Civ IV years ago (got very far but a crash to desktop issue I could never resolve halted development) included a Conspiracy Victory.

To win it, you had to perform a spy mission in a city with an obsolete World Wonder, which established the cult, and spread the cult around like a religion. You could identify and purge the cult using spy mechanics. Only one cult could control a city at a time, so if two people were going for Conspiracy victories, it was paramount to oust them.

A World Ranking screen can be seen at 1:34 mark of the new First Look: America video. It has five tabs: Overall, Score, Science, Culture, and Domination. Assuming this is the game's victory condition tracker, it looks like Score is still being considered a victory condition. I've always felt the inability to win within the time limit should result in a loss, but I recognize there might be very casual players the developers want to cater to as well.

A World Ranking screen can be seen at 1:34 mark of the new First Look: America video. It has five tabs: Overall, Score, Science, Culture, and Domination. Assuming this is the game's victory condition tracker, it looks like Score is still being considered a victory condition. I've always felt the inability to win within the time limit should result in a loss, but I recognize there might be very casual players the developers want to cater to as well.

The ranking screens might replace the score and demographics screens, and there might be a completely different victory screen. The science ranking might show only who is the most advanced, but not show who has built the space port, for example. That science ranking could be found in the score breakdown and demographics screens in Civ V.

I think there probably is a victory based on score, but it's probably still called the time victory.

The World Ranking display under the Culture tab says in huge letters "CULTURE VICTORY." This is a victory tracking display. It is not a great leap of logic to infer that the four victory types correspond to: Score, Science, Culture and Domination.

It's good assumption, but it seems to conflict with Ed words about new victory condition.

Its totally possible the tabs for some victory conditions are not ready yet or hidden for demo.

The World Ranking display under the Culture tab says in huge letters "CULTURE VICTORY." This is a victory tracking display. It is not a great leap of logic to infer that the four victory types correspond to: Score, Science, Culture and Domination.

Agreed, but that means that we have 4, instead of 5, victory conditions.

Ed, as you are perfectly aware, has said one VC was removed, and one VC added.

Therefore, either that screen isn't showing all possible VC or we have misinterpreted Ed's words.

Score can't be the new victory type.
In civ5 when no vc was triggered before the deadline, the civ with most points won.
Also, I don't see much difference between overal and score.

I think it's reasonable to assume they knew places like these forums and reddit would be closely examining any screenshots they provided. So if they want to hype the new vc in a separate announcement later on, they shouldn't let it appear in the screenshots. Here's guessing they took it out for the video, but there's still another vc--the new one--beyond the ones in the video.

Maybe if you disable a victory condition, then it doesn't even appear on the screen.

That makes sense...it would be a smart change to the UI, and explain why a victory condition seems to be missing. (Without some special change to the UI)

They may be doctoring the UI to hide a new victory condition (perhaps the Religious one mentioned by GadgetHelpLine, but that would be unprecedented.

Well I could see a UI that was coded to not show victories that were turned off. That would mean they aren't doctoring the UI, just using a new feature of it.

Well I could see a UI that was coded to not show victories that were turned off. That would mean they aren't doctoring the UI, just using a new feature of it.
The problem with this theory is that there is no clear UI space to add items dynamically. Although there is that tantalizing + button on the left.

I don't have an answer to the apparent discrepancy, I'm just showing you what I see.

The fact that tourism and Alpha Centauri are still present doesn't mean that they will be exactly the same victory conditions. There are a ton of tweaks that can be still performed to these victory conditions:

- Technology requirements for the spaceship to alpha centauri appearing at random places of the tech tree
- Earlier missions to the Moon and Mars as pre-requirements for Alpha Centauri
- Tourism appearing earlier in the game
- Tourism having effects not tied to ideologies

And so on.

Top Bottom