Speculation: Firaxis Working on X-Com Remake?

I used to buy a base exclusively to build 'em and sell, but before that I earned money by selling Motion scaner... but the money-maker of the game was supply ship raiding! keeping an intact floater base near a SKYRANGER base with HWDecoder so you can identify the Supply ships. Each intact UFO paid more than $4M!!! and they used to visit us 4 times a month...

Wow! You can still buy the original from Steam!!! Done.

We can only hope that this thread will serve as an unignorable straw poll showing the unquestioned financial dominance awaiting them if they choose to go forward with this brilliant idea. I mean c'mon! We've got 28 drooling on the floor responses and one lets be level headed. If this was an election you'd have a mandate.

For all of you who still play this game, there are a couple of "game enhancers" (that's a funny way to say "bug-fixer", but anyways...) they indeed have some good ideas like complete staff assignment, sorting soldiers, auto-re-equip, auto-sell, even distance modifiers for accuracy and new maps for tactical!

I've stumbled upon this page, it has lots of information, and one of the BEST Game enhancers I saw: Seb76's Loader

Worth to pay a visit, granted!

Did anyone else manufactor laser cannons and sell them for profit to fund your alien fighting force?

I used to manufacture laser rifles because it was more profitable. They were also fantastic weapons. I loved the laser rifles. They remained useful for a long time, and no ammuniton was needed, and they weighed little. On the other hand, those portable heavy cannon that was the default equipment for one squaddie in the beginning were ridiculous; any soldier carrying that either dragged behind for ten missions or was killed while getting the muscle to carry the thing.

Oh yes. :) I once got through a massive base defence with just one wounded trooper remaining - I even remember his name, Jean Dreyfuss. I had to creep him around, past his fallen comrades, under cover from countless smoke grenades, hiding in broom cupboards between turns, with a single laser pistol to take out the last few sectoids. The experience he got from that battle was massive.

I often renamed my soldiers to make it easier to remember them. And I kept notes of everyone's strengths during missions. I had fun thinking up names for a multinational squad, and the naming process did make one more careful and anxious not to expose them to unnecessary risks. Experienced soldiers were gold.

Wow! You can still buy the original from Steam

Speaking of this, does anyone here have the original in Steam? Inspired by this talk I reinstalled X-Com, but alas I have the gold edition. I installed some player made patches to get it to run, but it still ran insanely fast. My computer isn't exactly awesome, but the 5 second mode on geoscape went as fast as the 1 hour mode should have gone. This made it more or less unplayable :(

So, to those of you who have the Steam version: does it run faster than it should on modern-ish hardware?

Also, apparently there's a deal going this weekend, all the X-Com games for $2.00. Details here.

I have the original UFO and it's great Why should I have to buy a new game in its place? Have they run out of ideas?

I have the original UFO and it's great Why should I have to buy a new game in its place? Have they run out of ideas?

I also have the original game (on a CD-ROM), but how to play it on an up-to-date computer? I never really grasped the Dosbox thing. Anyone care to enlighten me? How and when, and does it run with Windows 7?

HIBK, I would have kept an old computer on the side for the sheer joy of playing old Colonization and old X-Com. Perhaps some little old lady with an archaic computer will consent to sell it to me.

Öjevind Lång;8861498 said:
I also have the original game (on a CD-ROM), but how to play it on an up-to-date computer? I never really grasped the Dosbox thing. Anyone care to enlighten me? How and when, and does it run with Windows 7?

HIBK, I would have kept an old computer on the side for the sheer joy of playing old Colonization and old X-Com. Perhaps some little old lady with an archaic computer will consent to sell it to me.
I kept a dual Windows 98/XP comp, running old games such as Blood, Heretic, Titus the Fox, Prehistoric, Wolfenstein, well, you get the idea...
But it got fried in 2008. Damn!

So get DOSBox (way more FPS than Counter Strike) and install it, then you can run a DOS simulator. the instructions are pretty clear. All you have to do is 'mount' a C: drive (i.e. define which folder{s} to consider as C:) and off you go. You type in
Code:
mount {desired drive letter}  {actual directory}
and that directory ill be treated as a virtual hard disk.
Example:
Code:
mount c c:\Games
will create a virtual C drive whose contents are what in Windows is called C:\games.
Easy, ain't it? You can use the dir and cd commands, and run .exe, .bat and .com programs. That should do for executing most games.

I kept a dual Windows 98/XP comp, running old games such as Blood, Heretic, Titus the Fox, Prehistoric, Wolfenstein, well, you get the idea...
But it got fried in 2008. Damn!

So get DOSBox (way more FPS than Counter Strike) and install it, then you can run a DOS simulator. the instructions are pretty clear. All you have to do is 'mount' a C: drive (i.e. define which folder{s} to consider as C:) and off you go. You type in
Code:
mount {desired drive letter}  {actual directory}
and that directory ill be treated as a virtual hard disk.
Example:
Code:
mount c c:\Games
will create a virtual C drive whose contents are what in Windows is called C:\games.
Easy, ain't it? You can use the dir and cd commands, and run .exe, .bat and .com programs. That should do for executing most games.

Thanks! :)

I shall try that!, I used to have a DOS 5.0 boot disc (floppy) but as it died I had to move to CE and Seb's loader to play without lighting speed scroll

But I forgot about dosbox! I used to use it in linux though...

I shall try it in my home to play my Old games again... (prince of persia, colonization, x-com 1&2, x-wing CE, and so)

They're not old, they're mature.

UFO was probably my all time favorite game (apart from maybe CIV ;) ).

If this could be pulled off as a good game (something most of the other sequals or rip offs fail at) then my money would be on Firaxis being the guys to work the magic.

Come on Sid step up and give us what we want!

@ERU69er: How much? Is it on Craigslist? :p

You said 'sell to buy'. Therefore, you'll sell it at a price and I'll give you the game at a price. Fair enough?

Top Bottom