*Spoiler1* Gotm24-Korea - Enter Middle Ages

1.29f open

Haven't played Civ3 in about a year...so I made a few mistakes along the way to the middle ages. Had to abandon the (captured) Colossus to avoid a despot golden age when I built the GL. Should be about 20-30 turns ahead of where I am. Heh. Glad this wasn't Diety diff.

Tech progression: fast Terra Cotta, fast Tao Myst. Slow (40 turn) shamanism-->monarchy. Gained rest of Ancient tree except currency by trading...usually with my sword at someone's proverbial throat.

City placement...built on the spot...read a few posts on RCP so I thought I'd give that a shot...map willing.
Cities: Date founded - direction from Seoul (distance 4 RCP)
2570BC - N / 1950BC - SW / 1700BC - NE / 1500BC - SE / 1375BC - E / 1250BC - S

Built warrior, warrior, worker, granary, settler, barracks, settler factory size 5-7 with occasional worker/warrior and eventually temple. Once new cities were founded, built barracks right away then vet warriors for later Bushi war.

Sent the first warrior N/NE/E in a loop and met Baekje. Parked him near Goguryeo capital outside border. Sent the second warrior S/SW straight down...met Han Dynasty and explored most of their territory. Had a rough idea of the island by 1950BC.

Started war for my island in 1250BC and 8-10 vet Bushi. Had about 30 vet Bushi at my military height. Oda landed on my island at the very end of the Ancient era, so I sent out the Bushi welcoming party (after trading for communication with other civs).
I've been at constant war since 1250BC with MANY elite troops, and only one leader to show for it. :mad: That's one variable I never liked about this game. Can't decide whether to use the leader or save him for UN just in case.
Opponent - Goguryeo. Started war 1250BC. Destroyed 650BC
Opponent - Baekje. Started war 650BC. Destroyed 250BC
Opponent - Han Dyn. Started war 530BC. Down to 3 cities by MA.
Opponent - Oda. Started war 100BC...going into MA.

My biggest problem right now is securing my territory with new cities before others grab it. My wars cleared the three neighbors, but left a lot of empty space. Building another ring of cities around distance 11. May place a couple inside that to fill voids. In monarchy and have GL at start of middle age, so now I just have to insite wars through diplomacy/trade and grow my island.

btw...love the raging barb island. not sure how i'm going to clear them until amphibious troops. :p

cas

Originally posted by Megalou
I know nothing about the "true" identity of the neighbours (apart from what has been said above), but gameplaywise the three neighbors are unusually friendly. They are polite even without active deals..

I noticed this also; the 3 neighbors always polite, regardless of deals. So different than most games where many civs are "annoyed" the minute they set eyes on you. I feel bad about attacking these guys. I may go back later and replay the game as a total peacenik.

Originally posted by Takeo
i noticed that some of you settled the barb island to the west of our island. no one managed to do it in my game and now it is the RAGING BARBS island..

In my game I had the Han settling on the Island and I have seen horseman entering their town at a regular base (stealing their GP).
They got rid of barbarians through cultural expansion.

Originally posted by Merle Corey ... Shevek
PTW... being scientific gave me Engineering as the bonus tech ...

Personally , I received Monotheism and I am playing Vanilla Civ. I wonder if there is a correlation.

PTW 1.27f

Well, i finished the game a couple days ago, and think I held my own for a first timer.

I settled on the spot and started Terra Cotta at 90%, built 3 warriors. Warrior 1 went North because I obviously didn't realize at the time that map was flipped upside down from the RL terrain of that region. lol War 2 went S and then W around the Han's territory. Warrior 3 went E.

I met up with Baekje in 3550 bc and traded Bronze Culture and 8 gold for Burial Rituals. I think I got the short end of this deal, but oh well. I didn't want to risk them getting it else where doing me no good obviously.

I finished Terra Cotta in 3400 bc and started a 40 turn Calligraphy.

Met up with Goguryeo in 3050 bc and traded Alphebet for Martial Arts and 10 gold. Again, I think I got the short end but didn't want to fall behind in the tech race. Baekje only had 18 gold at this point so no trading with them at this point.

Met up with the Han Dynasty in 2800 bc and traded Alphebet for Masonary and 10 gold. Gogu and Baekje both have nothing to trade.

I didn't finish my first settler until 2570 bc because I was building up some defenders for barbs and also because at this point I realized that it was gonna be close quarters here. I knew I would have to go to war to get a good sized empire so i figured let the AI expand, I am just gonna take them anyways lol. So at this point, the Settler factory went on the back burner (not sure if this was a good idea or not.) While they are building cities for me, I will build up an army and use my settlers to build my core. Sent my first Settler East 3 tiles to set up a military base close to the Baekje capital. Luckily, i got there before they did. They also had a settler heading towards that same site.

First good sized trading flurry took place in 2390 bc. I traded Gogu Masonary, Terra Cotta, and 54 gold for Iron Culture. I then traded Iron Culture to Han for the Wheel and 1 gold (thats all her had in gold.) I then went ahead and traded Terra Cotta to Baekje for 19 gold (not much, but all he had.)

After getting Iron Culture I realized why Baekje was heading for the same spot I was lol. It just so happens that P'yangyong was founded this same day.

2150 bc dyes are hooked up.

2030 bc Wonsan is founded to the North East, bringing iron within our cultural boarders.

1870 bc Pusan is founded to the south.

1700 bc I finished Calligraphy but Gogu already has knowledge of it and has traded it off already. Start on Map Making at 80%.

1625 bc Puhang is founded to the North.

1475 bc Han demands 37 gold. Preparing for my war against Baekje, I don't need the grief from Han and I have 350+ in the treasure, so I give it to him.

1375 bc Yondok is founded to the South East.

1175 bc Map Making is finished and start on a full Taoist Mysticism in 5.

1125 bc Andong is founded to the South West and completing my core.

1075 bc Taoist Mysticism is completed, start a 40 turn for Shamanism. I got my iron hooked up and upgraded some warriors to Bushi and sent them North East towards Baekje's capital boarders. At the same time, Baekje decided to sent a Settler/Otomo pair through the middle of my territory. At the time I was thinking "Nice!!!, 2 free workers."

1000 bc I declare war on Baekje and send my Bushi into their capital's radius. I then attack their Settler/Otomo pair in my territory. Korean Warrior 3/3 dies, does no damage. Korean Warrior 4/4 dies, does no damage, Korean Otomo Spearman 4/4 dies, does no damage. Then a mysterous object fell out of the sky, landing on my space bar key, ending my turn!!! (Actually, it was my cordless mouse after bouncing off the wall lol.) Not really that either, I just forgot to save lol, hence IIRC disqualifing me for the OSC (correct me if I am wrong please.) After this, showing my true rookie colors, I stopped taking notes so from here on out it is off memory alone.

I ended up taking Baekje's capital and one other city, which the computer razed for me (GRRRRRRRR!!!!!) but luckily I had prepared a settler for this very chance and the spot was quickly filled, however, i obviously still took the rep hit. Baekje wanted peace so I gave it to them for a tech I believe. My original 8 Bushi were running thing anyways and this would give me the chance to reinforce. I think the tech was Mathmatics, because I finsihed Shamanism around this same time and started a 40 turn Currency.

Once I got my reinforce ments in place, which now made my attacking army about 20 - 25 Bushi, I redeclared war on Bushi for my final offensive military actions. They had about 5 cities left and I had 4 to 5 Bushi at each cities' boarder. Baekje parished about 3 to 4 turns later, leaving me with all their cities and control of the enitire north side of my land mass.

I traded off Currency and Shamanism which were both big sellers which left me only to research Code of Laws I believe. As far as Wonders went, I didn't do so hot, nor did my neighbors really. Somebody beat me too the Great Library by 1 TURN!!! and I can't remember what other ancient wonders I built myself. I am pretty sure I got one or two, but none of the good ones. Only wonder I got from Baekje was the Colossus which ended up hurting more than helping me for awhile. (Great, this city is making tons of gold, and it all is going towards corruption and hampering my economy lol.) Han had some wonders but he was pretty strong at the moment and I was ready to start focusing on research and my reputation anyways.

Finished up Code of Laws in about 5 turns IIRC which sent me to the middle ages in about 350'ish bc. Han was first to the Middle ages, followed by me, and then Gogu was last to make it there (Baekje being gone all together thanks to me, hehe.)

Guess this is where I stop.

I spent the past month reading past spoilers for games and going over lots and lots of timelines from past GOTM's. This REALLY helped me out a lot. I suggest it to any new player, you will learn a ton just from doing that alone. (BTW, when will timelines for GOTM 21 and 22 be posted? obviously i realize 23 will take a bit of time because it just finished)

To finish this entirely too long post, excellent map. And to whom ever did the new animations, BRAVO!!!!!! They are great, if I didn't have prior knowledge of the game, I would have thought they were programmed in by the developers of the game. But again, whom ever made them is a true asset to your GOTM staff.

Best Regards to everybody and all take care,

Riccett

Just wanted to make a correction. I did get the great library. Was some other wonder which I lost the race too by one turn. But I can't remember, like I said in my previous post, i stopped taking notes after 1000 bc. When I was rereading my post for spelling errors, it dawned on me, "Where did I get all the other techs because I know I didn't trade for all of them" lol. Once I turn in my game, i will go back and clear this up along with a list of population, cities, etc... My apologize. Correct me if I am wrong, but I probably shouldn't reload any of my saves until after I submit my final save?

Rookie with a lot of questions lol,

Riccett

[ptw] 1.14 predator

I decided to settle NW, and use the irrigated wheat to make a size 3-5 oscillating 4-turn settler factory, for 2 reasons:
  1. needing less happiness than Qitai’s 4-6 combo factory (giving initially quicker research, I hope)
  2. be able to use the other wool for a wonder building city
    [/list=1]
    On top it is also up and running earlier than Qitai’s combo factory.
    My pre-game strategy was to:
    1. get the GL (should be doable at this difficulty level). So go for literature at full research, after that slider back to max out treasury for upgrades and slow down tech pace.
    2. build enough warriors to upgrade to swordsman (bushi) for early war during despotism.
    3. rush some cheap libraries at edge of empire to build culture and expand into neighbouring land.
      [/list=1]
      All in all this worked out fine. I got the GL, build the Colossus (which should have been build in QSC period but I mistakenly gave wrong :cry: order to one of my workers, so I missed it by 2 turns). Baekje build the pyramids (for me of course :)). I’m #1 in score, also in culture, with strong(est?) army as well, not bad I guess.

QSC results:
      9 workers
      5 warriors
      5 horsemen
      3 otomo spearmen
      10 bushi
      1 granary
      1 temple (forgot to switch to library :()
      2 barracks
      3 libraries
      12 cities (could have been more, but I added some settlers to cities for quicker growth)
      39 population
      138 territory
      36 gold
      AA techs missing: construction, currency, republic, monarchy & shamanism

To add to Smackster's history lesson. The remainding civs which can be found on the space race section are all from Feudal Japan.
They are Japanese clans which ruled over smaller sections of the main Japanese island of Honshu during the 1400-1600 period until united by Tokugawa.

Shimazu – Ruled the Sadowara area.

Chosogabe – Japanese Daimyo ruling the Kochi area.

Mori – Ruled the Aki province, in western Honshu

Kuroda – Clan ruling Fukuoka province. This clan is credited with developing the martial art of Jo-Do.

Oda – Minor Japanese clan which had divisions in ruling its eight districts in Honshu. Tokugawa came from this clan.

Takeda – Powerful Japanese warlord clan in central Honshu

Tokugawa – We all know about him from the Civilopedia. The first Shogun who united the warring clans of Honshu.

This shows that cracker and the development staff did a lot of historical research, and an excellent job developing the game.

To answer cracker's question: Given Smackster's background information and what I've been able to look up, this game appears to attempt a parallel of the Korean-Japanese tensions over the years. Maybe that is why a diplomatic victory will be so difficult. I'd expect all the Japanese clans to at least be militaristic as one of their traits.

Mac CIV III 1.29b

I'm a bit dismayed about your valuable progresses in the ancient era: I think I'm in a little delay 'cause I regarded too strictly the goal [winning by Un], so I didn't go for war under despotism and never tought to go until 600-500 bC.
Also I made a big strategical mistake: I focused up on Monarchy as soon as I obtained the full first row of techs [by reasearch max at 60% and by exchange], so I went for Shamanism. This was substantially right 'cause I drawed it for a lot of techs around 850 bC, but then I turned my mind for building the Great library [and I realized it], so I found myself in range to research Republic with just 8-12 turns more than Monarchy.
By the way I'm in the three-four ahead about sciences, 'cause of korean attitude and 'cause I spent a lot of time programming it, but, at the end of Ancient Era, just before to [:cry: sigh!] begin my first war against pink - to get their Lighthouse and made contact with Tokugawa - I'm backed with just 9 cities, well sited but surrounded from olives and pinks.

a little [late] summary of my best performances and bad mistakes:

850 bC - traded Shamanism [I was the 1st to get it] with [polite] Baeklje for Calligraphy, Bajutsu, territory map and Ivory; traded Shamanism with [polite] Gogurejo for Math, 60 gp and Tmap; with Han for Confucianism, 60 gp and Tmap [so I think I made great!]. Then again traded math for mapmaking with Baeklje.

670 bC - After made sure all of near resources and luxuries, apart from the Ivory and Horses to N, in no-men's land between me and the pinks, Baeklje slipped past my south barrier and gained a city spot in the desert in front of barbarian isle.

510 bC - Researched Literature, begun th GL

410 bC - exchanged wool and dyes for civil service and some gp with Baeklje [my enemy, the only one without one of my diplomats inside - also the better offerer for my luxuries!]. I've lost furniture of Ivory.

270 bC - Alas, Baeklje made contact with Tokugawa [and the rest of them], and I was forced to exchange Literature and get contact [drawing some sciences]. A few turns after, as soon as I finished GL and entered MedEra, I'm in doubt: have I to keep on peaceful politics [and this will mean no war, no GA, and increasing delay in science] or to get on war with pinks, blackspotting my reputation for centuries...?!

:confused:

@nini1972

You can have a GA only with Wonders as the UU for Korea is a cannon and thus can not win a combat since it can not kill the opposite unit... This was part of the pre-discussion of the game

Originally posted by cas
1.29f open

Had to abandon the (captured) Colossus to avoid a despot golden age when I built the GL. Should be about 20-30 turns ahead of where I am. Heh. Glad this wasn't Diety diff.

I believe Colossus is expansionist and religious..not commercial...therefore, you did not have to abandon it...it would not have triggered a GA. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

IIRC, Colossus can trigger English GA by itself so it has a hidden Commercial benefit.

I recall reading that the Colossus triggers for commercial as wella s expansionist and religious civs. I think it's the only triple-trait wonder. Unfortunately, there is no single easily-visited place (like the Civilopedia) to answer these questions once and for all.

The first weekend of the new GOTM and my wife leaves town for three days. So, a couple of evening staying up to 3AM after putting the kids to bed and ...Yeah I get to post to page 3 EDIT:5, wow this moves fast: of the first spoiler!

I moved the worker to the mountain armed with the knowledge that a BG was the only thing standing between me and the infamous combo factory. (I wasn't as quick as Qitai noticing the 4.5-6.5 combo.)

Seeing the BG there made me settle on the starting spot and begin research of Terra Cotta (Pottery) at max.

The worker set about irriaging and roading the cow, wool and plains on his way back up to the northern wool. I wish I had realized that the roads wouldn't be as important as the extra turns on the irrigation, the lack of extra 2-food tiles past the bonuses really hurt my development. Qitai@ keep posting your strategies in the hopes that I can learn from them.:)

I built 3 warriors for exploration, a granary. Hurt by my lack of workers in the last GOTM, I proceeded to build worker, worker, warrior, settler. The settler was done in 2310. Much too late. I should have done workers from the other cities.

Then I built a warrior, an archer because I missed the fact that I didn't have another 2-food tile at size 6, and my second settler. From that point (1750BC) I was building warrior-settler pairs every four turns.

Here's a picture of my capital at 1000BC. This was the easiest warrior-settler factory I've ever had to maintain. The governor chose the right tile EVERY TURN. I never had to touch the worked tiles. The only thing I had to do was alternate selecting warrior-settler from the build popup and adjust the luxury tax as the population rose and fell. (I missed this adjustment once during the QSC period and had a turn of riot.) The numbers in red are the food(top) and shield(bottom) of the tiles the governor chose at size 5. On growth, the blue tile was added by the governor. So I had +5food, +10shields at size 5 on turn 1. That built a warrior. Turn 2 had +5food, grew to size 6 and got +11shields. Turn 3 had +5food, +11shields for a total of 22. Turn 4 had +5food, +13shields (wasting 5 shields) and built the settler. Population would drop from 7 to 5 and start the cycle over.

The first three warriors went N, E and S. This is the best picture of my exploration.

I met Baekje very quickly in 3550BC. I agree with most that they are Religious and Commercial as they had Alphabet and Burial and nothing else when I met them. They also got temples built rather early. We paid them some gold and Bronze for Burial.
Goguryeo was met in 3100BC. I agree with most that they are religious and militaristic as they had Martial Arts and Burial. They paid us some gold and Martial Arts for Alphabet. Having finished Terra Cotta by this point, I hold it as monopoly over both civs.

In 3000BC, my third warrior, heading south climbs a hill and sees coastline to the west. I make a fatal mistake and asssume that we are on a pennisula. The second warrior is about parallel in lattitude and I figure he can follow the coastline around the southern shore and then finish off where the third warrior was. I turn warrior 3 around, heading north to see if there is a land bridge to what turns out to be Barb Island. I fail to realize that the pennisula is a right angle and the Han Dynasty is farther SW.

A warrior from the Han Dynasty shows up on our door step in 2270. They look like China in terms of attributes. They sell us Masonry for Alphabet at 88g.

After Pottery, I reasearched Calligraphy at minimum science. I end up buying it. My QSC techs were:

3550BC Baekje: Burial Rituals for Bronze +8g.
3100BC Goguryeo: 10g+Martial Arts for Alphabet.
2270BC Han Dynasty: Masonry for Alphabet and 88g.
2270BC Goguryeo: Wheel for Masonry and 21g.
1990BC Goguryeo: Iron working for 33g +6gpt.
1990BC Baekje: Calligraphy for Iron Working, Masonry, Wheel and 10g.
1650BC Goguryeo: Bajutsu (HBR) for 102g + 7gpt.
1650BC Han Dynasty: Taoist Mystism +10g for Bajutsu
1350BC Baekje: Map Making for 72g, Wool and WM
1300BC Han Dynasty: Mathmatics for 11g, 8gpt and WM

Literature after Writing at minimum paid off and I grab Construction (Han) and Civil Service (Baekje) two turns after Literature comes in. I also capitalized on prebuilds for libraries in every town and built 4-5 in a couple turns after literature.

I went after Goguryeo with ten veteran swords (all upgrades from the combo factory). I had no horses (Baekje own the ones NE) so my aim was to take their captial and their wines. The turn my troops get into position on their border they finish the Great Library for me.:)

I pillage the mountain pass that not only links Goguryeo's capital to their iron, but also links Baekje's colonial cities to the SW that have horses. The Baekje's have an ROP with the Goguryeo and have ten or so unprotected workers trying to connect their colony. They will be easy pickings to start the next war.

Goguryeo's capital falls to 5 of my 8 swords with 1 loss. I send four towards the NE to autoraze/replace the next town (the roads were worth the rep hit for razing). The remaining swords head for the wines town and capture it. Peace gets me two more towns and 25g.

More to follow as I get more time.

1.29 open class

Played GOTM 23, but couldn't submit due to Spain crash.

AGGRESSIVENESS AND ITS REWARDS II

Unfortunately, I'm a seat of the pants player that doesn't take good notes, doesn't micromanage, and I often drift from turn to turn, losing track of my objectives. I had a good game plan prior to starting this GOTM, but I didn't carry it out very effectively and now I'm having to really play catch up.

Anyway, I settled on the spot and set up the 4 turn settler factory. I planned to research pottery (terra cotta) at 100% followed by writing/lit at min. My first 3 builds were warriors. I sent the first warrior East and second warrior N. The first warrior encounted the Baekje capital shortly after the second warrior was completed. I decided if I could get 3 warriors to there capital fairly quickly, I'd attack. Just as my third warrior reached their borders, the Baekje moved a settler and warrior away from their capital, leaving it with only one warrior in defense. I declared war, captured a worker and attacked. I lost one warrior, but sacked their capital :D . By this time, my settler factory was up and running and I was pumping out the warriors in preparation for an early defeat of the Baekje. I soon met the Goe...whatever...and the Han and traded for whatever Tech's I could...especially Iron Culture. With research set to min. I was able to upgrade enough warriors to finish of the Baekje. The problem with the early war, is I lost track of the thing I felt was most important to the game (the Great Library) and missed out on building it (the Han constructed it in their capital) :mad: . Once the Baekje were finished off, I settled their lands and moved on to the Goe...who had conveniently built the Pyramids :D . This war didn't last long either especially after the greedy Han decided to join in on the fun... I was awarded with a Leader that I used to rush the FP in the Pink capital, and soon our island was a two civ Island. With troops still being constructed (horses now waiting to upgrade) I turned my eyes toward the Han and the Great Library. I entered the MA somewhere around 350BC. May sound like a decent start, but you'll see in the next spoiler why I'm playing catch up.:crazyeye:

[ptw] open

4000bc Settle in place. Start researching Terra Cotta at max

3300bc Meet Baekje. Trade TC+3g for Burial Rituals

3250bc Our wandering warrior sees a great sea monster off the E. shore

3000bc Meet Goguryeo. Trade TC, 36g, 3gpt for Martial Arts

Herodotus publishes list of largest nations: Shimegu, Baekje, Goguryeo, Han, Oda, Chorgabe(sp), Mori, and Kuroda

2900bc found our second city.

2430bc Warrior sees another land with barbarians to the west

2310bc Meet Han. Trade 56g+2gpt for wheel

1990bc The most powerful nations are: Baekje, Oda, Chocogabe, Shimegu, Mori, Tokigawa, Goguryeo, Han

1675bc Learn Calligraphy. Begin Researching Lit. Trade Calligraphy +55g to Baekje for Masonry and Iron Culture. Trade 45g and 3gpt to Han for Batjutsu(HBR)

Approx 1400bc Baekje demand a tech, I refuse. Baekje dow Korea.

1275 MA with Gogureyo against Baekje

1200bc 1st elite unit

270 bc 1st Great Leader. Had already built GL by hand and only other wonder able to be built at this time is the GW, so instead of a wonder, we build an army.

Tech research is slow with everyone on my starting continent at war. We are discovered around 350 AD by a distant people. They trade contact with us to all their friends and 1 or 2 turns later, we are much more knowledgeable about the world and declare peace with Baekje to take advantage of our newfound knowledge. We enter MA at 420 AD.

[ptw] 1.27

Firstly I would like to add my voice to the chorus of praise for this scenario. The map is beautifully constructed and the new units, clans and tech tree tweaks certainly add a lot of enjoyment to the game.

4000BC:
I decided to move the settler NW, and I researched pottery at max.

From there I built a few warriors a granary and rax and ejected the first settler IIRC at around 2850BC - sound right?

A few turns later at around 2500BC one of my warriors ended up on a tile next to 3 Baekje (pink) workers. The temptation was far too much for a body to bear, so I declared war and captured them. The warrior was then attacked by 3 Baekje warriors, killing 2 and redlining the third before succumbing to the kind RNG.

Some turns later the Baekje suicided 4 warriors against an outpost town, after which I took peace on favourable terms. I then settled a few cities and built a few units.

I declared war on the Baekje again shortly after the 20 turn deal expired. After capturing the second city I used the stack command to move the troops from the city (instead of the specific unit type button) leaving the town accidentally indefended. The town was recaptured but on the same interturn a defending spear generated my first leader for the Pyramids.

Another leader was generated at 1050BC for the Great Library and at the turn after this 1000BC shot the Baekje were dead.

About 3 turns before this I had declared war on the Goguryeo
It took until 500BC to eliminate them. In the process my third leader appeared and built the Great Library, thus triggering my GA.

Through these wars I was researching the writing - map making
(then Lit) path on 40 turn gambit. The AI beat me both times with ease.

At 450BC I declared war on the Han. When capturing city in 400BC my fourth leader appeared and I saved him for a palace move.

I took the conscious decision not to settle the barb island as I wanted them to multiply through the uprising to upgrade units later.

In 350BC I got bored waiting for my last AA tech, so I bought it from a civ other than the Han. I entered the Middle ages, and actually got the free tech I wanted for a change. I then gifted all the AI into the MA leaving me in this position.

Lots of other stuff happened that are beyond the scope of this spoiler, some good - some bad, but all of it immensely entertaining.

Predator PTW 1.27

First off, thank you GOTM team for a wonderful GOTM. I really liked all the enhancements that this GOTM includes.

I started Seoul right on the starting spot. I knew I would have trouble keeping up with the simple 4-turn settler factory, so I simply went with that rather than trying for a settler-warrior factory.

Contacts: contacted the two nearby civs by 3150 BC. did a large bit of trading to keep up. contacted the Han in 2250 BC. Neither civ got contact with the Han until around the 1300s which I thought was suprising.

Research: after 100% research on Terra Cotta, I went at mostly min science and traded to keep up. I was able to keep basically at tech parity until the end of the ancient age. Then a large map, tech trading turn in 250 with ... ... put me into the middle ages with feudal warlords and every single ancient tech.

Growth: kept Seoul basically on a 4 turn settler factory except for a few mistakes. by 1000 BC I have 10 cities and 2 settlers on the way. I used a loose, almost OCP, placement so did not have space for any more. In fact could not have used those two extras except that the Baikje had razed two Goguryeo cities. Also had a total of 9 workers and 3 purchased workers. This total rose quickly -- by the end of the ancient age I had about 25 workers.

Settling patterns: my first two cities were just north of Seoul, the first just north of the Iron hill. The pinkies had limited my expansion further north so started going south and east.

Military: At the QSC period I had a total of 20 warriors. this obviously made for some heavy duty warring abilites once I was able to upgrade them to bushi. declared war on the Greenies in 590 BC and ran over their territory in about 15 turns. then when they had one city left signed for currency in 330 BC. Future wars inolve more advanced units so are best left for a future spoiler, but more civs are feeling the swords.

AI: I felt that the AIs seemed rather weak for an emperor game. none reached the middle ages until around 270. only one useful wonder built on my continent -- the hanging gardens. What I feel the civs were:
Baekje -- religious Industrious. seemed to build culture fairly frequently and cleared that jungle quite quickly for an AI civ.
Goguryeo -- Militaristic and Religious. This is reinforced by the fact that they seemed to get lot of promotions, built temples, and had Monty as their leader.
Han -- china. wouldn't be suprised to see riders from them if they had horses -- which they don't in my game.

Again, thank you very much to the GOTM crew for a very enjoyable game. I better get back to work on it!!

RRnut

Originally posted by Txurce
I recall reading that the Colossus triggers for commercial as wella s expansionist and religious civs. I think it's the only triple-trait wonder. Unfortunately, there is no single easily-visited place (like the Civilopedia) to answer these questions once and for all.

I checked the PTW editor this morning and the Colossus is expansionist, religious, and commercial.

Top Bottom