*SPOILER3* Gotm16-Rome - Radio

Interesting culture discussion. Not being religious or scientific certainly crimps an attempt to be culturally dominant. I intentionally delayed my Golden Age until I had Ceremonial Burial and had nearly completed Currency. During the Golden Age I finished Currency and Literature, and used the increased production to build Temples, Marketplaces (maintaining a commercial focus) and Libraries nearly everywhere. Consequently, I was leading my continent in culture, and only trailed Greece, Babylon, France and India on the other. Once I learned Banking, my succesive build order was Bank (more money!!), then University, so I didn't catch up in culture during the Middle Ages. At the start of the Industrial Age, my additional builds were Factory, Hospital then Cathedral. Finally the fact that I had more cities allowed me to pass by everyone except the Greeks. I am going for SpaceShip Victory from the get-go, so not winning (or losing) by culture is my only concern.

Just a note about war-weariness. At the end of the Industrial Age I'm at war with America (they attacked me), Germany and Japan (they had MPP's with America.) Because I was attacked, there was an initial swell of patriotism, and everyone was Happy. Gradually that wore off, and war-weariness set in. As Republic, I don't usually see any problems being at War unless my units or my enemies units are in the opposite side's cultural territory. I have lots of units in American territory during this war. On three occasions I was checking the F1 screen and saw that significant civil disorder was about to occur. I postponed this the first time by trading Steel to Russia for Furs, which gave me the 8th luxury item. The 2nd and 3rd times I negotiated peace with Japan and then Germany (it was actually a GOOD thing that they joined in the war!); this satisified enough citizens each time that I was able to continue the war effort against America without providing Luxuries from Commerce; I've maintained a 0% Luxury rate for over 20 turns of an active war with cities as high as 20 in population.

Karasu and Moonsinger,
Thanks for the thumbs up. I am well aware of the excellent score that I recorded in GOTM 15. It is and probably will be my personal best. But since I was that close a medal would have come handy. Still I have a Diplo award from last fall and will try for the other awards in the coming months.

civsteve,
I built some early temples in all my initial towns but it turned put that they had a very limited influence. I used the GA to get libraries and marketplaces as well and switched to Repbulic afterwards. I switched to military production for a couple of times during the game but mostly I focused on wealth to fund purchase of temples and libraries

lAfter a rocky start, the Industrial ages flew by for me. I began still at war with Germany, and in the middle of the pack tech-wise, but with about 3000 gold I was planning on buying my way back into the lead. Of course none of the AI would sell me Nationalism, but as part of a peace deal, I could get it from Germany for about 2500. However, I also still had 8 turns left in an alliance with America, India and Greece, so I didn’t want to make peace just yet. My hope was to actually buy steam power first from someone, then sell it around and still get Nationalism in the peace deal.

In 930AD I finished Newton’s, and traded Theory of Gravity, and 400g, to Babylon for Democracy. I thought this would also help bring down the cost of Nationalism, since they would get it for free, but it didn’t seem to help. By now I had Germany down to 4-5 small cities, and I had rushed temples or biblios in most of the captured cities, so I figured I could afford the risk and revolted in 950AD. This way, the anarchy would end about the same time I finished the alliances and could make peace, and start down the research path. (BTW, I think this game is the longest I have ever played in Monarchy, I usually either go strait to republic, or switch to Demo in the Middle Ages). I also had started rotating troops from the Barb Reef, sending fresh new musketmen over and bringing those elite knights and legions back, to throw them at the remaining German cities and hope for leaders.

Good news and bad news followed. In 950AD Berlin flipped back to the Germans (those ingrates, after the new temple and biblio I bought for them). I was able to retake it the next turn, but being in anarchy I couldn’t rush any improvements this time. The good news is that in 990AD, in my assault on Heidelburg, one of my legions generated Octavian, who would lead us into this new Democracy. I decided to save him for ToE, which I planned to head for as a way of getting the tech lead. After all this time, no one had discovered Steam Power yet, I was getting very frustrated. I went into the peace negotiations with Germany, and they would only give me Nationalism if I paid them about 1800g. However, in negotiating, I found out that they would take 100gpt for it! No one had accepted any gpt offers from me since the early middle ages, so I was surprised (Maybe taking all but 2 of his cities improved my credit rating??). Anyway, even though it was a little higher, I took it. Even though I was in anarchy, I had about 200 gpt coming in from sales of techs and luxuries to the other continent, especially Greece. I now turned around to sell Nationalism to those who didn’t have it yet, and got 42gpt from the Iroquois and 20gpt from France, making back over half what I paid for it. I was also able to trade with England finally, and even though they weren’t in the Industrial Age yet, they did have Suffimentum, which I traded them TOG and Magnetism for. Another bad news, I had Munich flip back to Germany about 5 turns after the peace, but it wasn't worth going to war again over. Funny thing is, the Greeks landed and took it, and it flipped back to Germany again!.

1010AD The Roman Democracy dawns, and my income jumps to +850gpt (291 of that from other civs). However, all that money does me no good, when no one has Steam Power to sell! It has been at least 15 turns since I entered the industrial age, and I know Greece and India got there before me, and they haven’t researched Steam Power!! (Of course, this was last week, before I read Axelman’s article about how the AI chooses techs to research. L). I finally decide to research it myself, and use all that money to rush biblios and universitys to crank up my science (I had concentrated on forums/Argentariums when I was running 100% cash).

1100AD I hit Steam Power, and somehow the Greeks and Aztecs researched it the same turn I did. Anyway, I am still able to sell it to the other civs (Iroqouis, India and French were the only other ones with real money, England, Russia and Babylon were scraping by, and America, Germany,and Japan were down to 2-3 cities each). My people want to build the Iron Works. Cool, where at? I hit the F2 key to see where there is coal connected, and it is in Boston. Great, a corrupted city up north. But when I look around the map, it turns out there are at least 4 sites that would qualify!! Unfortunately, none of my other cities are positioned right to take advantage of it, but 3 are one tile off: Kagoshima in the SW, Ferrum W of Rome, and Pisae NW of Rome. After some careful deliberation, I decide I am going to disband Ferrum and rebuild one tile N. All three cities were similar, size 6-7 with forums, argentariums, and biblios, but Ferrum is closest to Rome so will have the least corruption, and surrounded by a good mix of hills and some grassland. After several turns of cranking out workers, I built a settler and disbanded, refounding Ferrum II around 1200AD. I paid cash to rush most of the improvments back in, starting with a granarium to rebuild the pop faster. The Iron Works was completed in 1385AD, and by now (1455AD) production is over 100 shields/turn, so it was worth the trouble.

Meanwhile, I pushed my research along the bottom half of the tech tree, finishing Scientific Method in 1230AD, with no help from the AI. I sell it around the world, getting Communism and over 250gpt, then use Octavian to rush the Theory of Evolution in Rome. I use it to pick up Replacable Parts and Atomic Theory, figuring I have enough time to research Electronics on my own, and the added worker productivity will help me finish all my railroading projects. Also during this time, I realized that in my earlier exploration of the Barb Reef, I had stopped when I hit tundra up north. After sending a unit up there to chase down a barb camp, I saw a fur that I had overlooked for probably the last 600 years. DOH!! :mad: In 1270 I founded Nicomedia to hook it up, and finally had the last luxury. All those wasted years…. Also, I never built any cities their other than the three for luxuries, they were corrupt enough already, and I wasn't sure it would be worth it. I know the pop and territory would add to my score, probably should have, but it seemed like it was more trouble than it would be worth.

After what had been a peaceful time, Greece declared war on me in 1310AD. No idea why, they had finished up a war against Germany, when they couldn’t take his last 2 cities, and must have been looking to pick a fight with those troops on my continent. I bought in some allies to take on their homeland (I had no desire to establish myself on their continent, I was content with mine and going for a space victory). After killing off their few knights, swords, and one rifleman, and facing their massive fleet of 6-8 galleons and frigates, it was a boring war, they never returned, but because I had allies I stayed in it for the 20 turns. No War Weariness, probably because they declared and I had no troops out of my territory. 1335 I finished Hoover Dam in Rome, most of my bigger cities already had factories, so production went through the roof. Unfortunately, in 1365 India beat me to Universal Suffering by one turn, I didn’t have anything else to switch to, so I bought Espionage and switched to Intelligence Agency, wasting 300+ sheilds.

The rest of the age was pretty uneventful, I was focused on building infrastructure, courthouses and police stations in some of the former American cities to make them productive, and getting techs every 4 turns. I tried to sell techs to the AI about 2 behind where I was, and I didn’t sell Atomic Theory until Greece had it. The current situation, I just finished Radio, hit Modern Age, and most of the top AI just bought Combustion from me. India is the closest in Tech, with Electronics and Combustion, although Iroquois is leading in score. Greece must have suffered from the war. The spaceship is just a matter of time, as soon as I get the techs, which is good, I need to wrap this up and submit probably tomorrow, since I will be out of town this weekend.

World Map in 1455AD:

My game would ahve gone a lot better if my Legions had given up their memberships in the Judean People's Front first. Trust me to get entire divisions of Crack Suicide Squads.

My military has performed the worst I have ever seen, continuing thru to the Modern Age. To rectify this I curtailed military action right after the demise of Japan, who didn't help me at all. Their City placement stank and there was absolutely NOTHING in any of their cities. The conquest of Japan took forever and put me further behind the Greeks than I like.

War Weariness has also been incredibly strong this game. Since destroying the Japs I have had a few border clashes with Germany, mostly fighting on American soil, when it was American. Even including that I had no warfare for about 400 years when the Russians (who have 5 cities) declared on me out of the blue, then in came the Greeks, Germans and English. Of course this all started 4 turns before I built the UN. I HAD been polite with everyone except the Germans. Now I have been at war for 12 turns and just about all of my cities are going into Civil Disorder. None of the buggers will come to the table either.

Somehow Greece with its 9 core cities and in Communism has managed to out research me. It has 7 other cities from the death of the Iroquois and Aztecs but they have no improvements in them. This compared to 28 cities with Library, University, Market and Bank and also in Democracy???

The barbarian island has also caused me no end of bother. Those damn enhanced Impi's have been slaughtering my troops over there. 4 Elite Legions, 2 Elite Musketmen, 6 Elite Riflemen and 2 Elite Infantry have come to grief trying to explore the island and I still can't see all the Tundra to the north, which from reading a few of the other reports is hiding something I need desperately and have done for about 500 years.

Now if the world will just settle down a little I may be able to finish the game by tomorrow. Diplo is out, but with a little quiet I can take my cities of Tanks and back to Opulentia and crank up my research. Now that I don't need them I get a GL every turn. I have one ready for the Apollo project, I didn't dare use one for the Manhattan Project as the Greeks have plenty of Uranium and the will to use it.

Not sure where I should put this. I'm into the industrial age, but not quite to radio, but I'm not finishing this game.

Well, I'm giving up my game due to time constraints. I still have over 300 turns to go. I've already been up for 12 hours and don't feel like pulling a 36-hour civ marathon to finish this game. And even then, I might not have enough time, so it would be a waste of time if I can't meet the deadline.

At 820 A.D. I was at 3,586 pts and gaining over 50 pts/turn.
I stopped at 1190 A.D. with 5,454 pts and going back up to over 50 pts./turn. It dropped below 50/turn for awhile because I lost access to some luxuries (wars). At this time I was only about 60% of the the way to domination, but then I would have to start disbanding those tundra cities and settle on the better grassland.

Around 430 A.D. I got access to my 7th luxury, and around 660 A.D. I got all 8 luxuries. I went at 100% science for much of the middle ages selling techs for luxuries (luxuries are extremely expensive, when you have so many people). Even with giving a tech, I still would have to give them 3 of my luxuries, PLUS 100-200 gold/turn!! In the B.C. years (300-500?) I settled on the barbarian lands at the chokepoint. It was the narrowest point, and I was hoping I would see a ship pass by the other side or something. After settling, I could see a glimpse of a green border. I had to wait awhile for the barbs to get done throwing themselves at my legionaires before I could finally send a unit onto the mountain and get close enough to the border to get contact with Greece. I was hoping not to let Germany and the Americans get contact with the rest of the world, but France got the Lighthouse and knew where to go.

I made some big mistakes, so I could have been scoring much higher. I probably would have gone over 20,000 if I played better and had the time to finish this game. One thing that screwed me up was my golden age. I usually like having a golden age in the middle ages and use this time to start building infrastructure, but in this game I had the golden age early (while in despotism). With the extremely dense build, I probably didn't need to build hardly any marketplaces and aqueducts at all, and should have saved them for much later in the game. So I was way behind schedule in tackling the other continent and settling off of my continent. I also made the mistake of which improvements I should build first.

When I went to the other continent and started wiping out the French, within probably 10-15 turns, every civ on that continent was at war with me except the Aztecs. I wasn't losing, but wasn't gaining any ground, either. I underestimated how many cavalries I would need. My settlers were stuck waiting around, because my settler flood was bigger than my offensive stacks. I got peace with everyone and would just need to re-organize my troops back into large stacks again (I was trying to do too much at once, like I could do on lower levels), and build up some cannons/artillery to finish off the AI.

I got 3 leaders early on (pyramids, forbidden palace, hanging gardens), but then I didn't get any more up until universal suffrage was available, despite I had probably 40-50 elite victories. So Sun Tzu's, Leo's, and JS Bach's and all the other middle age wonders ended up on the other continent.

I was manually controlling every worker up until 440 A.d. At this point I had 150 workers and when I realized it took me 5 hours just to play from 250 A.D. to 440 A.D., I put workers on shift-A. The biggest problem I have when manually controlling workers is I don't put a big priority on having them road ahead, I want them to start improving tiles, because with non-industrious workers you are always behind in improvements compared to your population growth. I stopped at 150 workers, but I really did need more!

Originally posted by Bamspeedy
I'm into the industrial age, but not quite to radio, but I'm not finishing this game.
That's a shame Bamspeedy. Your score at 820 and 1190 is well ahead of mine, sounds like you had a very nice game going.

Oh well, I hope you have the time to play GOTM17, look forward to seeing you there!

Too bad there isn't a 'cramus maximus' award for smallest tile/city ratio at the end of the game. When I quit I had a tile/city ratio of 6.46 tiles/city. I crammed over 200 cities on the home continent.

The barbarian land wasn't too much of a problem. I originally sent 2 veteran legionaires and a horseman (was the only other unit I had handy) and a settler. 1 legionaire died, so I rushed a spearman at full price, then I rushed a barracks, and they weren't a problem at all after that because they didn't attack with more than 2-3 units at a time. The luxury that was on the island in the jungle I saved some time connecting it by first building a colony THEN founding the city, so it was instantly roaded. No need to wait forever for the worker to road the jungle or to send a bunch of workers to do it. I used colonies more frequently in this game to get luxuries connected much faster, even though eventually I would get the luxury within a city's borders.

The AI did a few bone-head plays to equally match some of my bone-head plays. The AI sends a spearman towards one of my undefended cities. The spearman is one tile away from capturing the city and instead of capturing it, it fortifies at a chokepoint. Then has to send an archer by way of a galley to finally capture the city. Then he doesn't even move the spearman into the new city and stays fortified at the chokepoint. My cavalry had an easy time with his defending archer :rolleyes:

Does anyone know where I can download a newer version of MS paint? I re-formatted my computer and now my version of paint doesn't allow me to convert screenshots to .jpg format anymore and only offers me .bmp options.

At 820 A.D. I was at 3,586 pts and gaining over 50 pts/turn.
I stopped at 1190 A.D. with 5,454 pts and going back up to over 50 pts./turn.

At 820 AD, I got exactly 2301 points; you were 1285 points ahead of mine. Too bad you didn't have enough time to finish it!

Does anyone know where I can download a newer version of MS paint? I re-formatted my computer and now my version of paint doesn't allow me to convert screenshots to .jpg format anymore and only offers me .bmp options.

Have you tried www.tucows.com? They have pretty much all the shareware/freeware under the sun.

With you being ahead of Sir Pleb and Moonsinger
, that was a game to see ;)

Damn shame....

Phillip, well I have to try to get Wisconsin to earn back the title of the 'dairy' state. Wisconsin used to be the largest milk producing state until California took over that title a few years ago.

Here's some screenshots about what I was talking about before.

Here, the Americans (after their last settler on a boat finally found a place to land) sends a spearman towards an undefended city. Instead of capturing the city, the spearman fortifies at the chokepoint. He then sends an archer by galley and the next turn finally captures the city. Even after this, the spearman stays fortified at the chokepoint and does not go to help the archer defend the city. So my knight (I mistakenly said cavalry before) had no problem beating the archer.

Here, I built a colony before building the city. So at the expense of 1 worker I shaved 24 worker turns off the time it would take to get the luxury hooked up by having to road the jungle manually. This allowed all my other cities to get the luxury (after rushing a harbor), 20+ turns sooner than normal, or taking the expense of having to ship a whole bunch of workers over there. Surprisingly, the barbarians never tried to pillage the road, but the AI would.

Bamspeedy, I also used workers to make colonies before settling the city on the barb reef. It definitely saved time, and that much extra happyness x no. of cities adds up quick. However, I did have the barbs pillage my other colonies, outside the border of my cities. I don't remember for sure if they ever pillaged a road (that had been a colony), I thought they did once, but I could be mistaken.

California rules yeah! I thought that Winconsin was still ahead of California, that California was still catching up. I got that fact from an article that I read about four years ago - that Winconsin was still ahead.

I found it interesting that many players had war in the centerpiece of their strategies. For me, well, I let everyone expand etc. etc. and Germany extinguished Japan and America really fast. For me, war only comes when I am positive that I can gain an upper edge, have the AI - all of them - on my side, and (sometimes) have a technological edge.

Besides the fact that I am a very peaceful player, I also was so behind in tech that I probably couldn't war and win if I wanted to. I was still producing pikemen (hadn't gotten riflemen yet and didn't want to build musketmen b/c of cost) when Germany was running around with infantry and panzars.

Nationalism I estimate would cost me 2000 gold at least, because at 1500 Germany wasn't accepting.

Here's a screenshot of my progress up to 1000 A.D.

Incredible! :goodjob: You already cleared out Japan and most of America by 10 AD. That was over 300 years ahead comparing to mine. How many settler factory did you build in this game?

PS: The purple cow looks great!

My capital at first, then the second city was a worker factory, then my next two cities were warrior factories (each building one every 2 turns), then the rest were switching between barracks/workers/warriors/settlers (depending on shield output). After I got iron hooked up and had 12 legionaires headed towards Tokyo and triggered my golden age most cities were producing nothing but settlers. When I got horses hooked up shortly after destroying Tokyo, I set 3 cities that were producing 10 shields each to build horsemen (net effect=1 horsemen/turn). All other cities were building mostly nothing but workers and settlers.

Not getting Sun Tzu's really screwed up my conquest of the second continent, since I couldn't just switch any city to build military, as I would first have to have them build a barracks.....If you have 100 cities and you switch them all to horsemen, you can imagine how many horsemen you would have after 30 turns. I should have manually built Sun Tzu's instead of hoping for a leader.

Great game! It may be a bit late to recommend an image tool, but Irfanview is IMO the best out there. It's small, free and has all the different gadgets to make great blowups and enhance the qulity of the jpg. http://www.irfanview.com .

Top Bottom