*Spoiler3* Gotm22-Vikings - End Game Submitted

LKendter,

There is a football team (American Football) team named the Minnesota Vikings and in the late 1960's their quarterback (Joe Capp) led them to the Super Bowl (the Championship game).

DenyD

In the last GOTM, Vikings, I was attacking the English, bombarding them with several artillery in a stack. I have a wheel mouse and as I was clicking the "bombard" button, I accidentally scrolled up, shifting the map view. Anyway, the result was I was able to hit a square with artillery that was outside of the artillery's range! Has anyone else encountered this bug? (PS I was playing with Civ3 v1.29f, I wonder if it works in PTW?)

Yes Yakinikuman,

this is a bug in the software. Just do not use it.

At this point in time it seems unlikely that Firaxis will ever fix any of the residual bugs in the Civ3v1.29 program because they only appear to be patching the expansion pack versions of the game.

Even though they continue to sell Civ3, it appears that they have stopped providing software support for that product and we have a well documented list of bugs that now seem to be a permanent part of the game.

including:

1) war mobilization/infiinite shields
2) infinite city population bug
3) jungle suppression of underlying bonus terrain in the editor
4) infinite bombard range for any bombard unit
5) dial-a-rng
6) the complete every known wonder bug
7) the zero status corruption bug
8) the culture flipping turn off bug

just to name a few on the short list.

Originally posted by Txurce
Given the preponderance of coastal cities in Civ3 - and certainly in GOTM22 - the Berserker's potential could actually be stronger than that of cavalry. ...

The Berserk has the same attack strength as Cavalry - BEFORE Gunpowder and Musketmen come on the scene. (I found them ti be overwhelming against Spears and Pikes, and pretty effective against Muskets; once Riflemen are on the scene, the retreat capability of Cavalry is important.) And while Cavalry have their 3 movement to approach without taking defensive attacks, the Berserks can use ship movement to assault coastal cities with little fear of attack while approaching. Also, Berserks have no resource requirement, so the Vikings always have access to them once Invention is learned. (This also means you'd better build all the Archers you wish to upgrade first!!) IMO, they are very powerful for their initial time period, but they aren't a super unit, and really should be used as part of an overall attack scheme.

I upgraded 20 Archers in my game, and built another 2-3 Berserks from scratch. They took 5 English coastal cities, and slogged overland to take London. And in the late Middle Ages, I was in a 4 way race to build Newton's University. I could see that China was going to win that race and build Newton's in Paoting. Well, 2 Galleons full of Berserks made kindling out of Paoting and I finished Newton's first; without Berserks I would have needed more forces, and run the risk of attack after landing and additional defenses being added to Paoting. I don't think piles of Berserks are going to win the game for you, but a few at the right time and place will certainly tip the scales!

Looking at these posts , I wish I would have used the berseks more often. But I sticked to my usual way ... virtually no ships and use the cavalry infamous 3 moves to go deap into territory resting on mountains...

Originally posted by CdB
Looking at these posts , I wish I would have used the berseks more often. But I sticked to my usual way ... virtually no ships and use the cavalry infamous 3 moves to go deap into territory resting on mountains...

:( You definately missed out. If nothing else, using berserks in an amphibious assault is slighty 'different' from the 'normal' way of conquest...and made for a slightly more fun game imo. Plus, if you have PTW, they just plain look darn cool! ;)

Yes CdB, you may have missed a great opportunity here.

You could load 40 or 50 games playing as the Vikings and still not come up with even one game that was as perfectly tailored to giving you lots of opportunities to use the Berserk/Galloglass to open up a new dimension to the game.

I know that some people complain that these games seem to be a bit too "unrandom", but this game in particular is one of those examples where I feel that our choices of target engineering the games to provide unique and specific game experiences are particularly appropriate. It may be another 6 to 8 months before the GOTM and Tournament games feature another opportunity to play the Vikings and it would be truly a waste to miss the opportunity to feature a game where the berserk's special abilities could contribute so prominently in the game.

What a good fun game this one was. Even the normally placid Peanut Peanuttson managed to conduct some jolly lively dark ages warfare with those wonderful Berserks.

But the icing on the cake was that, for once, Peanut's staff prophet was reasonably close to the mark in the idle speculation thread (Peanut's Prescient Prediction Presaged Plenteous Pillaging Possibilities )

Cracker - once again, a great map and great scenario covering a cultural victory, interfering with my opponent's chances by building the UN myself, thoroughly pillaging Lizzie's heartland, and throwing a few spanners into Alexander's spaceship component production lines.

I just want to say "Thank you" to cracker and GOTM staff.

I really enjoyed GOTM22 and finished it with my first 20K victory.

Thank you!!

This was my first GOTM. Absolutely loved everything about it from the map to the cultural win to the strategic qualities that accentuated the galloglass. The only problem is that when I reached 20k with a city...nada. No win.

I am posting a game from 1948, just after I achieved 20k culture in Bjorgvin. If anyone can offer a little advice on why I did not get the cultural victory, I would greatly appreciate it.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads5/20k_culture_win,_1948_AD.SAV

And thank you for responding Cracker. Even moreso, thanks for all the work you and the others do here. It has without doubt tripled my enjoyment of the game. I cannot wait to be involved in future GOTMs. I am an old time civ player (from the beginning) but new to civfanatics. The great strategy tips in the war acedemy and in the forum moved my Civ III game from Emperor to Diety.

PS. To anyone who views the game, keep in mind this is not a valid "submiitted" game. I am just curious as to why the culture win did not happen.

Thanks!

Originally posted by bradleyfeanor
The only problem is that when I reached 20k with a city...nada. No win.

I am posting a game from 1948, just after I achieved 20k culture in Bjorgvin. If anyone can offer a little advice on why I did not get the cultural victory, I would greatly appreciate it.

I've just loaded up your .sav. Luckily it was 1.29, not PTW. Great game, well done.

I added up all the cultural values for Bjoergvin as listed on the F5 screen (twice!), and they come to 19393 vs. the total displayed for the city of over 20K. I've seen this before in one of my own games, and I don't know what causes it. There seems to be a bug in the game code somewhere. It's interesting that the victory test appears to use the correct figure and not the displayed inflated total.

If you know your anarchy periods you could try plugging your Bjoergvin cultural list into the Excel 20K culture calculator and checking the value - it should match the 19393 figure.

If you had played it out for another 6 turns at your rate of over 100 cpt you would probably have made it, although you are also perilously close to a 100K victory as well.

I'm so embarassed. I lost so badly that I didn't even have the heart to submit my pathetic game.
Was well on the way to a domination victory when that English %$#%$% won by culture.......

Thank you Alan! You have saved me from many, many lost culture points (and lost culture HOURS). I would never have discovered the problem, and even better, I will now get to see my first culture win.

Thanks!

Top Bottom