1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Spring Patch Info

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by SupremacyKing2, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Maybe the lack of turtles was what limited the AI in using all game systems competently?

Jkchart, Kimiimaro, Japper007 and 7 others like this.
  2. N7Zebracakes

N7Zebracakes Chieftain

Three minutes by the time I hit play on it. I summarized it over on the Civ sub: https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/8bipj7/whats_next_for_risefall_updates/

That's the impression I got from the video

Hawke9 likes this.
  3. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

The RNDY unit is not as good as what was removed, still a rubbish civ double nerfed then plastered over. Am really wondering why I have bothered spending all this money to have them continue to spit on my civ.

If people have not worked it out loyalty has also nerfed settling on other continents a lot, now my newly settled city teetering on loyalties edge will be converted and fall.

Muppets, was waiting for a decent patch, fixed a lot and leave England useless

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  4. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Maybe instead of a unit the Albion should get a bonus to loyalty when settling on a different continent?

nzcamel likes this.
  5. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

I think Eagle Pursuit's prior thought was likely even more accurate: it was likely auto-queued for release in advance of the patch coming out tomorrow. The patch got delayed but the video still auto-released on the prior schedule.

With absolutely no basis whatsoever, I'm going to speculate the delay is tied to not having the patch interfere with the progress of their cross-platform work.

That's tremendously optimistic of you, but I think they've already clearly demonstrated how much they care about the AI.

Agreed. The AI guy is working on continual improvements. I won't believe that the senior team gives a toot until I see a deadly AI airforce assault on par with Civ 5's strafing of your most vulnerable military units.

I'm actually more encouraged by this than almost anything else in the "not notes yet". The willingness to ignore things not working properly has been driving me nuts. I'm glad to see them take the time to solve the turtle shortage.

Quick. Search the DLL for turtle contingent statements.

How serious is a "muppet" allegation in England? I know Victoria's peeved. I just can't tell exactly how peeved.

6. Ellerby

Ellerby Chieftain

Hahaha. Being accused of muppetry is worse than being called a wally but not as bad as being called a pillock.

Hope this helps.

7. historix69

historix69 Emperor

In the high time of the British Empire, it was a leading nation in science, economics, industrialization, military, etc. ... (maybe culinary art excluded.)
    England should get a loyalty bonus when founding cities on another continent (3rd world) where neighbouring civs are way back in Research, maybe +1 loyalty per Tech England has more than the neighbouring civ.

(Example :
    England has 50 techs, India has 40 techs -> England gets +10 loyalty for cities in India.)

Jkchart, Ozymandias9891 and nzcamel like this.
  8. Eric Guimarães

Eric Guimarães Chieftain

:c5capital:when?:c5capital:

nzcamel and Hawke9 like this.
  9. Bitterman

Bitterman Warlord

At last something to fix "maybe" Joint Wars. Much appreciated.

Religion and loyalty could be interesting, but I tought that they would adress this whole thing at the same time. Like tourism and culture should be also somewhat relevant to loyalty I think.

I don't know why I was hoping for the problem of the AI using almost no aircraft to be adressed. Maybe next time.

10. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

My turn to be irrationally optimistic: they won't mention that in a patch notes. They'll wait for the message to be delivered through the whrrrrr of bombs being dropped by Shaka's bomber group.

11. Mojo85

Mojo85 Warlord

Thank god for the Korea nerf. On deity they are basically a guaranteed win. I had just gotten spies (with a very high culture output so I didn’t fall behind), spy on Korea and they have 7-8 cities all with research labs already...

Unless you start next to them and take them out they’re almost unstoppable other than just disputing rocketry for half the game

Art Morte and acluewithout like this.
  12. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

There NEEDS to be unit balance changes.

acluewithout likes this.
  13. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

Yeah, this is how I feel.

I’m fed up.

My additional thoughts:

- England is still not getting some extra trade routes. Without them England is too focused on military / dom, which makes it boring. This really riles me. I’m just so mad. If England got some extra trade routes, I could almost live with the (terrible) changes to Pax. Almost.

- Turning to the Pax changes, it’s not clear to me, but it might be England gets a free unit whenever it builds a RND, even on its own continent. I’m not sure if that would make it actually more or less powerful than how Pax was originally, as Pax didn’t really help you on your own continent before (unless you had a continent split). My guess is the new pax is still slightly weaker than the old pax, but I’ll have to play around with it.

- Coastal cities usually have low production, so having them spawn a free unit slightly offsets their production weakness (it’s like they get a one time production boost for building a unit). But. You still have to build your RND which does require significant production (albeit their half price for England). And. A melee unit is not the most useful thing unless you’re on the warpath. I mean, a melee unit can’t exactly defend your city from sea barbarians, can it?

- The Original Pax did weird things to the price of settlers, eg it’s usually cheaper to build a settler than build a red coat. This new change now does the same thing to the price of a RND. So, it’s now a half price district, which is also further discounted by the price of a melee unit. Just feels daft. I think it also ties too much of England’s abilities into one district.

- Also. How does this work if you capture a city with an existing harbour (which, you know, is most coastal cities)? I assume you then miss out on your free unit. Uggh. This is so poorly thought out.

- In any event. Pax giving free units for RND is very, very different to how Pax worked before, and most importantly, is now much less interesting. Getting a free unit when you conquer a city has tactical implications (eg ability to refresh damaged troops, targeting weaker cities to get free units to snowball). Pax now just feels like ‘free stuff’. Uggh.

- The cost of settling on foreign continents has gone up because of loyalty, but Firaxis haven’t improved the benefit of doing so (which were already fairly minimal). This hurts everyone, but England particularly.

I’ve said before: England needed a real re-think. This isn’t a re-think. It’s just poorly thought through, reactive, mucking around at the edges.

I’m just over this.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    PeterChu and Uberfrog like this.
  14. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

My thoughts on things which are not England (or “My thoughts on things which do not make me incadenscent with rage”):

Awesome. Hopefully Firaxis have thought this through though, and India and its ‘Dharma’ ability will not be subject to negative loyalty because of religion.

Other things should also effect religion. My guess is Firaxis are being careful making adjustments with loyalty, and so might introduce other factors later. But religion as a factor is a big first step.

I like joint wars but agree they needed some improvement. This is good news. Not sure how the AI is going to handle these new mechanics though.

I’m assuming that medieval priorities thing is also getting fixed.

... these are all good changes. Which really just makes the continued mucking around of England so much more disappointing - the game is getting so much better, but at the same time my favourite Civ is getting stuffed.

(sorry for the double post.)

Meluhhan likes this.
  15. bbbt

bbbt Emperor

That's a boost for 'Religious Colonization', giving each newly settled city bonuses loyalty.

16. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

It should also make spreading your religion more beneficial beyond just a religious victory. Since spreading your religion will increase your loyalty pull on those cities and help them flip to your side.

Jkchart, nzcamel, PeterChu and 3 others like this.
  17. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

They finally did a qa build update tonight after a dead week. I'm not sure if that means they will be good to go tomorrow or a resumption of the usual pattern.

WillowBrook likes this.
  18. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

The religious changes are also pretty cool for Spain.

Sorry, I'm not going to keep going on about England. But I wish England was getting "buffed" by R&F the way Spain and France have been.

What I mean is, while those Civs have been 'tweaked' directly, they've also benefitted overall from improvements in the base game and tweaks which have really integrated well with the new mechanics. It's made them much richer civs as a result. England, on the other hand, has been played around with in just the most haphazard, reactionary, tin eared way.

Honesty, England has now been reduced to (1) a half price support district - with the most random collection of bonuses (extra great admiral points and movement, a bit of gold, a bit of loyalty, a free (non naval related!?!) unit), (2) another great but vanilla and late game building, and (3) slightly more cost effective settlers???

The two things which would really help are: (1) give England a few extra trade routes - it would synergise just so well with alliances, policy cards - uggh, just heaps of stuff (see my suggestions above); and (2) make settling on foreign continents more beneficial overall, e.g. +1 gold for luxury resources on foreign continents (maybe after you research colonialism or something) and or additional era score. England’s Pax would still need work, but at least the Civ would be in the ballpark with these two changes.

If anyone has suggestions on how England should be handled / tweaked, you can post them here if you want.

[edit: extra England rant. God I’m angry about this.]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Jkchart and PeterChu like this.
  19. Trengilly

Trengilly Warlord

So a random collection of reactionary changes. I'm afraid I don't have much faith that they won't introduce more issues.

Joining existing wars? this would be great, if implemented well. Warmongering penalties for joining?, can you request/bribe an AI to join a war? There is so much that could go wrong this seems like too major an enhancement to just slot into a hot fix.

Requiring a casus belli for a Joint War. This is likely to negatively impact the human player. In most cases the AI that is starting a joint war against the player already has a casus belli so they won't presumably be impacted - I'm assuming the joining AI doesn't also need to be eligible for the same casus belli?
    I love starting joint wars myself - but usually I don't have a casus belli -- its going to be much harder to do them yourself.

Balance adjustments to Magnus' abilities? I'm assuming they mean altering his chop bonus but possible others. This is exactly the opposite of what they should be doing. They should be increasing the other Governors abilities to be up to par with Magnus. Otherwise you just end up with 7 dull governors that you stick in a city and forget about. They should have strong abilities that encourage you to plan and move them around.

Chopping needs to get nerfed at the core level. Yields should be much reduced / altered over time differently. Then there is no problem with Magnus having a +100%.
    And fixing overflow would resolve any remaining exploits.

There are just soo many gross balance issues with Civ6 that I've become really disillusioned with the game. I want to be a builder and grow an empire (with or without a bit of warfare). But when the game balance is so out whack. It isn't fun anymore. Examples (you are better preventing your cities from growing beyond size 10, farms should basically never be built, half the districts are not worth the production costs, every tier 3 building (except the government plaza one) isn't worth building). Its just a joke when most of the stuff you can build just delays your path toward victory! :(

I actually enjoyed Civ6 more when I was new to the game and didn't know how to play effectively.

20. RDomico

RDomico Chieftain

I really wish they would fix the AI to use the air force correctly. It would make the late game more interesting.

Jkchart likes this.