Discussion in 'Maps & Scenarios' started by RidetheSpiral23, Mar 20, 2012.
Dont forget to ADD the new Natural Wonders to your map that DH did . . . SO
Is huge map coming ??
GEM is just too slow in the mid-late game for me
I completely agree, heck i cant even stand to play it on Marathon in the VERY start of the game, way to slow for me.
Is there an older map somewhere that's larger than Standard but smaller than Gigantic Earth Map somewhere? I swear I recall seeing one in C2C several versions back???
I got the itch to play but Gigantic just murderers my sanity with turn times and this Standard has Japan only like 5 tiles away from the US coast hehe. I must play Civ but I only play earth maps because I'm deranged like that.
I am playing deity eternity GEM at the moment and interestingly, the turn times began to decline after the first 750 turns. I think it's because most of barbs and animals have spawned and most AI stacks have plans so not a lot of "thinking" being added per turn. Yes, every few turns the waiting times are longer, either because of autosave or AI going to war etc. but the quickest so far was 15 sec a turn (I wasn't able to read a long sentence in the book I have besides me and the turn was already processed), the longest like 30-something seconds. But keep in mind to use the BUG menu option "reduced turn times". You can't scroll in between the turns but what does it matter. In the beginning, activating "auto-end turns without decissions" is quite useful as well.
Pre Columbian-GEM can be quite a lot of fun if you have the right substances for your body to chill and also the right contents for your mind to happily enjoy the times in between turns.
I got to turn 1350 of 14050 now and I am astonished that it gets quicker, in general
Oh yeah I play with that setting and disable as much stuff as possible to speed it up. I can't recall turns but by the time saves get to 6mb I start getting frustrated. Umm certainly that's like 2-3k turns in for my Snail GEMs.
O.K . guys.
I am thinking of upgrading this map (SEM) to include the natural wonders and then the missing resources, for myself.
This will be my first attempt at map making/modification. So I expect to make errors.
But if anyone is interested I will start a new thread and post my changes (with a download) and I expect feedback - good or bad, but hopefully constructive.
I am doing it because I have a very old P.C. and would not be able to play this mod on a standard size map, until Koshling's graphic paging changes. Even now I do not know how far I will be able to progress. But my save game file sizes are twice as big as they used to be and I have not yet left the Ancient era.
So let me know if you want to be kept updated.
Also I will need help from the C2C team. That is - check my map changes and give feedback, or alter the map if you think that is needed.
Check here for some helpful info...
Yes, I have got that - which is why I thought I would attempt the modifications.
Also I know - it was your additions for c2c that made the current version of the map.
Great job - I could not have played an Earth map before.
SEM Map. Version dated 14/02/14.
This is my first attempt at altering maps. So expect discrepancies. All feedback welcome - good or bad. Also suggestions for additions/removals etc. wanted.
Until I get a new PC, I can only play C2C/SEM up to the middle of the Classical age (XP - MAFs). So I am tinkering with this map inbetween starting new games.
1. Added 22 Natural Wonders.
2. Added 10 missing (new since 2012) bonus resources. Tried to place them in correct places (at least 2 or 3 of each).
FOSSIL (random placement)
3. Increased a few bonus resources from 1 to either 2 or 3. Also placed a few others in areas I thought they should. be (i.e. Coconuts in S.E. Asia.)
4. Altered (Increased) landmasses. Either to add new bonuses or assthetics.
England, Ireland, S. America, New Zealand, Arabia, Japan, added Iceland (1 tile).
5. Added Storms and tornadoes.
6. added caves, cactus, Peat bog.
7. Added rock outcrops all types (graphical use only).
8. Altered flag decal for huns. From team to flag. Get correct display now.
9. Moved Zulus further down the map (from Kenya/Tanzania nearer to South Africa). Also moved Congolese to river. They could not grow surrounded by jungle. REmoved a jumgle tile.
10. Added Maori to New Zealand. I realise this is not correct history wise. (They only arrived on the islands about 850AD) But a one tile polynesian island is to small for a civ to grow. Also it gives the Aborigines someone to fight with. If you do not like this addition I will remove it, from the uploaded version. [feedback?].
Lastly thanks to RIDETHESPIRAL23 who made the inital C2C map and his tutorial, DRJ who resurected the map and the original creator.
Removed attachment: 17 downloads.
I have updated the SEM scenario and created a new thread. "New (updated) standard Earth Map".
The map is now 10% bigger than this map - the normal standard size. The additions being mostly ocean tiles.
I will keep this attachment here for a while longer, but will not be updating it.
For the latest version (my version) go to the new thread.
Separate names with a comma.