Standard size Europe

thestonesfan

A Client of Ron Kuby
Here is a standard size map of Europe. Not the most accurate in the world, but I think it should be okay. It is intended for the following civs:

English
Germans
French
Spanish
Russians
Celts(In SE Europe, not Ireland/Scotland)
Romans
Greeks
Turks
Scandinavians

I'd like to stress that I put very little research onto resource placement, so if you're picky about that, you'll have to change it on your own. Anyway, this map should make for a pretty action packed game, so have fun!

Attachments

• eurostd.zip
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,063
A screenshot of the UK...

Attachments

• uk.jpg
    uk.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 2,192
Thanks, stone!!! this will work great!!! :thumbsup:

finally! someone made this, I thought this would never be made.

Thanks guys! Here is a preview of France...

Attachments

• france.jpg
    france.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 2,066
A screenshot of Italy...

Attachments

• italy.jpg
    italy.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 2,073
looks good, nice job thestonesfan :goodjob:

One question, any idea on the amount of land area on the map, either in terms of percentage or total number of squares? I like to play on large 70% water maps with absolutely everybody in the game and I'm curious how many people I could squeeze onto this :)

I'd say that the land % is a bit higher than on a normal standard map, probably 80-85%. I'm sure you could fit at least a couple more civs on, maybe Poland and Carthage.

Why does Turkey consist of desert?

Some of other earth maps have this mistake too. Even the official map which comes with the game. (Funny that the most rainy place of Turkey is shown as a desert there.) Well, in fact that "map" completely sucks. It's a shame if that person has taken any money for it.

Anyway, I just want to say to all map makers, look at your atlas carefully when making earth maps.

From infoplease.com...

"The center of W Asian Turkey is made up of the vast semiarid Plateau of Anatolia (average height c.3,000 ft/914 m), which includes lakes Tuz and Beysehir and which is fringed in the north by the Köroglu Mts. and in the south by the Taurus Mts."

Desert is the closest thing to semiarid plateau. I guess it could be mountains.

Anyway, instead of slamming other people's creations, why don't you make your own? The Europe map that came with PTW is excellent, and is posted here. It's very rude to say it "completely sucks".

Originally posted by raven
Well, in fact that "map" completely sucks. It's a shame if that person has taken any money for it.
Map Making is a very time conusming and labourious process. As far as I know, we don't recieve any money (though if anyone wants to send me a check, I will take it); maps are created for the love of the game and to give as gifts to the Civ3 community. I can't speak for Thestonesfan, but the maps that I have created were done for my own use and pleasure. The only reason I posted them was so that other people could use them if they wanted. If you think that a map "sucks" you should keep your thoughts to yourself. If you see things that are wrong, you should post your critique POLITELY. Most mapmakers want to improve and perfect their maps and are very open to suggestions.

You're welcome, Ville!

I think I'll make Turkey even MORE of a desert now!

Raven, as much as I agree about using atlas to make maps as accurate as possible, with always the possibility of making mistakes or overlooking some areas though, thestonesfan said in his first post : "not the most accurate in the world".

So if some people are happy with it (and so it seems from the feedback), the aim of the map is fulfilled.
If it does not fulfill yours then just don't use it or ask politely if the creator could change a few things but NEVER be abusive.

Originally posted by raven
Well, in fact that "map" completely sucks. It's a shame if that person has taken any money for it.
Moderator Action: The only people who got any money for their maps were the Firaxis graphics folks. The people who post maps here do so of their own free will, expecting little in return, besides an occasional "thank you", and hopefully, some *positive* feedback.

If you find something "wrong" you are welcome to point it out in a positive, constructive way. There is absolutely no need for abusive criticism.

THINK before you post.

Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Hmm... Lots of replies to give...

Desert is the closest thing to semiarid plateau.

I live in Turkey, and I'm quite sure that there isn't any desert here. Semiarid plateau isn't "desert". It's simply "plains". If you insist on your decision (which is wrong), then why don't you make Spain as desert also?

Anyway, instead of slamming other people's creations, why don't you make your own?

I am... Look at the 180x180 Europe topic. Ah, you already had told there you liked it. :)

The Europe map that came with PTW is excellent, and is posted here. It's very rude to say it "completely sucks".

I was talking about the EARTH MAP which comes with Civ3 (not PTW).

I think I'll make Turkey even MORE of a desert now!

SO childish!

To others and especially to moderator:

As I told above, when I said "it sucks", I was talking about the earth map which comes with Civ3. (The original game map) There's a misunderstanding here.

I'm not going to make Turkey more of a desert now.

But, if plains is more accurate, then it should be plains. Desert was nice, cause you could fit oil in it, but I suppose I could have plains hold oil.

You don't have to put oil in Turkey; there are more oil in some European countries (Romania for example). Also, east of Anatolia is a mountanious place.

I'm thinking you should put a ton of cows and other resource boosters in England to increase their production capabilities. Kind of as a way to simulate England's trade with far away places like India, China, South Africa, etc.

Maybe do the same for Portugal, Denmark, and the Netherlands, but not as much as for England.

I don't think anyone's really going to be hurting for resources, but that's a good suggestion.

Top Bottom